The ScytheRO Server is up for auction!!

Started by Shomesta, Jan 24, 2009, 12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuprin

Up for AUCTION? What s*** is this? Can we get this locked?
Embrace the invigorating spirit of sport! Come, fight me!

Littlechan

he wants to inform us that scytheRO is up for auction, to see if one of us want to buy it (that's neko's opinion)

*Thank You very much for Azurene*

The world is getting more and more broken everyday...

The truth about me
I am 17 ;D
[close]

Omi

oh zairik you never fail to impress me

Why would a server be auctioned "that those who still want to play have the option and maybe get a new owner in the process who has more time to maintain and update the server" when you could just hand it down to another GM or to someone else to run without getting paid in the process.

QuoteI will not help debug or edit or answer any questions, tecnical or otherwise, I am NOT included as an eAthena techical help support person in this auction.

Although you say "as-is" if someone has a query about something idiotic you've done with the source, you're pretty much giving them a big fat middle finger.

QuoteNo penny bidding, there must be at least a 10USD increase from the previous bid.

Money Hoarding.

QuoteI have some vague plans of participating as a minor role ... non-SHR ...

You're bored with your server so you want to make a quick buck off of not wanting to run it anymore so you can continue your RO career in another server? Good job!

This whole issue just seems like a mimic on the ecchi-RO situation but with a much smaller price range.

And Littlechan : no, just the inform part.

Littlechan

umm...neko think Zairik has his own reason why he doesn't give it to another GM or someone else...and that can be a positive reason...>.<

The truth about me
I am 17 ;D
[close]

Littlechan

um...neko think...we need to wait for Zairik's answer about this? >.<

The truth about me
I am 17 ;D
[close]

Descent

Quote from: Littlechan on Jan 24, 2009, 12:40 PM
um...neko think...we need to wait for Zairik's answer about this? >.<

Could really care less how he responds at this point. Total cash grab.

A92FL0163

That's stupid, I'd sell it for higher price.

P.S: Neko, this is RMS, what you think the OP wants when he posted this here?

Descent

Zone

Xeighter

Well, there goes all my respect...

Why does Neko speak in the 3rd-person? It's slightly annoying...

Omi

Omi thinks because it's something to do with having a fetish for roleplaying as a cat.

Irrelevant

I'd bid and buy just to close it afterwards and save their players a lot of trouble/drama/flames/etc.

You gotta love the people who're actually taking up to the auction and bidding such amazing offers as 95 bucks. Their posts also declare them as perfect material for administrators.

asdfqwerty123

I'm not looking for approval from people here who get on their high-horse acting like a know-it-all.  I spent 2 long years on this server, if you want to ignore that then fine, but the players haven't forgotten.  It's just that due to my job as a Webmaster, I don't even have time, I'm just burning myself out trying to work all day long in front of a computer just to come home and work all night long on a hobby and get little sleep for the next day of work.  The point of the auction is to offer it to the players without bias, as in it's not a personal choice to pick out someone to hand it off to, but also pays for the server because the money is going to Scryed first to pay off any cost and then whatever is left over (if anything) goes to me for future projects.  The disclaimer at the end of the post about a possible new project was to stop rumors if I wanted to help with a smaller project that Scryed and I and several others might want to try as a team (not as an all-burdon-on-me thing).  ScytheRO is not dead, ScytheRO is very much alive, which is why it's so hard for me to manage it since I don't have much time anymore.  People who claim I have plenty of free time need to fact check, and people who think I'm just auctioning for money don't know me at all.  

My original plan (which I thought was great at first) was to release the source code (user data removed) for free to everyone so that other servers could use us as an example (ask Scryed to prove it), but Scryed needs money to host the server so that plan was given up on after three long discussions.  Eventually I came up with the idea of an auction to both continue ScytheRO without me personally running it, and keep Scryed (our server host manager for 2 years) from going into debt over a server he originally let me run for free until ScytheRO started making enough money to pay for itself (which was a huge help).  So no, it's not a money grab, it's just to avoid putting Scryed into debt over a server he helped me host.  Money first goes to him to pay off the cost of the server and then to me (if any is left over) for any future projects I work on.  I do make (somewhat amateur) computer games and computer applications outside of eAthena.