SurgeRO forums uses misleading link to vote idealRO

Started by torque, Oct 06, 2008, 01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

torque

SurgeRO had been closed by kopi and now uses surge links for his new server idealRO. We insist the server owner explain why would he close the old surge without any announcement.

Even Sub-GM and staffs had been fired without any proper procedures. Man! we dont expect you to believe us but at least punish or warn the owner.

We know the consequences of joining a  private server, but i am just protecting one of my sisters interest as well as the rest of the people who donated for the server.

Edward

SurgeRO is still up, the site is now fully down. I've been paying out of my pocket to cover what the donations cannot and it's been costing me $100 or more every month. I've decided to close down Surge because I'm no longer willing to support it financially and no longer interested in updating it.

Why punish or warn me? I've provided good service and work for over a year in the term of 2 years and 4 months during my time making Surge.

And I even offered to cover donations by giving credits (not fully) on idealRO, a server which I do have interest in updating. And I didn't fire anyone, I just deleted all the GMs to prevent any item-dropping and so during the last days.

If you truly think I should be punished for providing you with a place to make friends, you should go punish the creator of worlds instead.

Descent

Quote from: torque on Oct 06, 2008, 01:27 AM
We insist the server owner explain why would he close the old surge without any announcement.

I'm sorry, were you playing a Pay2Play server? No. Therefore, your "insistence" and demands should fall on deaf ears.

Auroraâ„¢

One thing - these things happen.

Just because a server closes down/looks closed down, doesn't mean the administrator is doing it to be mean/spiteful/selfish. There are some cases, such as this one, where a server admin simply can't support the server financially anymore and have to worry about themselves. Some cases where an admin needs to close down so that they can start focusing more on real life events. Some cases where an admin is forced to close down because they are more worried about holding a stable job. There are many worse-case and best-case scenarios, you just need to make sure you know what the problem is, before you just assume the admin did it for no absolute reason.

» Coming Soon! «

Pandora

This should go into Hall of Shame rather than Server Reports, it's not RMS role to police what private servers do, as long as they respect RMS guideline themselves.

I think it's sad when a server closes with no warning, usually staff should be given the opportunity to keep it going if they have the means. I can understand an admin not having the means to support their server anymore, but if possible give advance warning and see if there is someone else who would be willing to take over the job/payment.
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

[color=darkblue]Click here to find out more about heRO![/color]

Auroraâ„¢

Quote from: Pandora on Oct 06, 2008, 09:42 AM
This should go into Hall of Shame rather than Server Reports, it's not RMS role to police what private servers do, as long as they respect RMS guideline themselves.

I think it's sad when a server closes with no warning, usually staff should be given the opportunity to keep it going if they have the means. I can understand an admin not having the means to support their server anymore, but if possible give advance warning and see if there is someone else who would be willing to take over the job/payment.

The thing with that, though, is that some admins subscriptions or accounts are cut off before they can make an announcement. There have been plenty of cases where admins weren't able to make an announcement in advance, plus, you never know if the person tried to find a replacement or not. Personally, if I attempted to find a replacement for my server, I'd be too picky and it'd probably never get done. Most good admins look at their server as their baby, and it's hard for someone to do that unless they just don't care anymore.

I've also seen a lot of servers spiral down because they found someone else to pay, or take over.

» Coming Soon! «

Pandora

Quote from: Auroraâ,,¢ on Oct 06, 2008, 04:07 PM
The thing with that, though, is that some admins subscriptions or accounts are cut off before they can make an announcement. There have been plenty of cases where admins weren't able to make an announcement in advance, plus, you never know if the person tried to find a replacement or not. Personally, if I attempted to find a replacement for my server, I'd be too picky and it'd probably never get done. Most good admins look at their server as their baby, and it's hard for someone to do that unless they just don't care anymore.

I've also seen a lot of servers spiral down because they found someone else to pay, or take over.
True, but I think I'd prefer seeing my baby in someone's hands rather than seeing it die x_x; of course there is no guarantee that they'll do a good job. :(
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

[color=darkblue]Click here to find out more about heRO![/color]

Auroraâ„¢

Very true, very true. I'm just stating the usual scenarios. :3

» Coming Soon! «

yC

so it's changing hands?

on http://www.surgero.com/forums/ it says:

Message from the Staff

There has been a huge miscommunication between the admins of SurgeRO and we are sorting things out right now. As of now, we are NOT closing down the server, I repeat, we are NOT closing down the server.

Thank you for your patience, we hope you will continue to play Surge even through these tough patches in time.

-Administrator Ai

I'll move this to general discussion, it's not a shame to close down a server if one decided that the time has come.