Should I give my personal information to a private server?

Started by Bue, Feb 08, 2021, 06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yennar

Quote from: Eiponpon on Feb 18, 2021, 01:26 AM
"no you shouldnt, its just common sense" says man who gives number to every app on his phone, all of them purely financially motivated and willing to sell his info

most servers do not verify accounts at all, coincidentally most servers are full of cheaters. kRO is right on this and so is any server that cares enough to do more than the bare min

can you clarify what you want to say? your post is just nonsense.

do you want to tell me that I give my phone number around everywhere, even after i posted that i don't ?
or do you want to tell me that cheaters on RO servers are depending on the phone number?

distilled1

What I'm about to say regards only giving your mobile phone number to a private server owner, and maybe your email address, but no other personal information such as real name or address.
Note that mobile numbers can not be looked up on a directory for their corresponding address like landline numbers can.

The only legitimate arguments against this is that the server owner could potentially use your mobile number to harass you via texts or calls, or worse case scenario, they find out your real name and call the phone company linked to your phone number, and to pretend to be you.

In the last case, the phone company needs proof that you are who you say you are before divulging any sensitive information, and before making any changes to your account.

In the first case, yes you could potentially get "harassment" via texts or calls, but you could also have the same thing happen from a prank caller or from a scamming company simply choosing your existing number at random. Both have about equal chances of happening, and both are easily dealt with via hanging up the phone, and blocking a number.

Unless you're an enormous coward who can't handle potentially needing to hang up your phone on someone attempting to "harass" you, I seriously do not see a problem with giving your mobile number to a private server owner.
What other, actual legitimate concern is there? Honestly. I haven't heard a legitimately realistic concern against this yet.

You must have a very crappy and insecure phone company if you actually fear someone being able to gain leaked account information from them so easily.
If you fear your phone company doing this so much, change your phone company to one that is more secure, then you don't have to be so afraid of giving your number to places.

If the extremely unthinkable happens, and some server owner ends up hating you so much that they go through all this trouble, and miraculously get your real life info from your insecure phone company, and unthinkably decide to perform a crime on you in real life, then that's a matter for the police just like anyone crazy enough to stalk you in real life, following you home, etc.
If you actually fear this reality happening though? I don't know what to say to you. You are freaking paranoid. Sorry but it's true.
You might as well fear every stranger you see as a potential threat against your life because they could spy on you, follow you, murder you, etc.
That's a sad life to live.
DOWN WITH MULTI-CLIENTING!

yennar

Quote from: distilled1 on Feb 18, 2021, 01:46 PM
What other, actual legitimate concern is there? Honestly. I haven't heard a legitimately realistic concern against this yet.

actually, i don't know any valid reason for a server owner to get my phone number.

What will the owner do with the phone number?
Sending Spam? Marketing? Yes, a very good reason not to give it.
Talking to me? He can do this within the game. That's exactly what he should do, because i don't care about him anywhere else.

He doesn't want to do anything with it? ok, then WHY would he even want it in the first place?

And don't give me that security s*** for a private unimportant Ro server. For Accounts, there is username and password - and mail adress. what else do they need?
Not even Final fantasy14 or other MMOS want my phone number, and they would have more valid reason to do so.
If you make a server and still want more security, you have so many alternatives - you don't have to collect personal private data.
Heck, even a 2nd password would be more sensible than that.

So you can call me coward all you like, but I don't give strangers my phone number. period.
And i'm not afraid of strangers, i just want to avoid the hassle of getting a new phone number if someone wants to be a d*ck.

PS: If a Server owner or Mod wants private data from me like a phone number, and tells me I shouldn't be careful with my data and calls someone coward that's a REAL RED FLAG.
Then they don't even know about data privacy, one of the MOST IMPORTANT TOPICS on the Internet for already quite some time.

distilled1

Quote from: yennar on Feb 18, 2021, 02:31 PM
PS: If a Server owner or Mod wants private data from me like a phone number, and tells me I shouldn't be careful with my data and calls someone coward that's a REAL RED FLAG.
Then they don't even know about data privacy, one of the MOST IMPORTANT TOPICS on the Internet for already quite some time.

Are you implying that I'm a server owner asking for phone numbers? Or just saying that in general. I'm not a server owner, and I also would never tell people they shouldn't be careful with their data.

Spoiler
actually, i don't know any valid reason for a server owner to get my phone number.

What will the owner do with the phone number?
Sending Spam? Marketing? Yes, a very good reason not to give it.
Talking to me? He can do this within the game. That's exactly what he should do, because i don't care about him anywhere else.

He doesn't want to do anything with it? ok, then WHY would he even want it in the first place?

And don't give me that security s*** for a private unimportant Ro server. For Accounts, there is username and password - and mail adress. what else do they need?
Not even Final fantasy14 or other MMOS want my phone number, and they would have more valid reason to do so.
If you make a server and still want more security, you have so many alternatives - you don't have to collect personal private data.
Heck, even a 2nd password would be more sensible than that.

So you can call me coward all you like, but I don't give strangers my phone number. period.
And i'm not afraid of strangers, i just want to avoid the hassle of getting a new phone number if someone wants to be a d*ck.
[close]
That's a lot of text just to say "You shouldn't give your phone number to a server owner for no good reason", which I agree with.
But some servers actually have a good reason, for example, what I've already explained in other threads regarding the Ragnarok Travels server and their verifying of player accounts via a confirmation text message to player's mobile phones. I shouldn't have to repeat myself here, but it's an extra measure taken in order to prevent players from making many different accounts using VPNs and multiple devices/virtual machines, and then multi-clienting.
This is an extra measure that, for a lot of people including myself, is appreciated, as it gives them better peace of mind knowing that the game they are playing has more defence against multi-clienters, and allows for a more even playing field.

If you personally don't care for that reason, and don't think it's a good enough reason to justify giving the server owner your mobile phone number so you can register your account, then that's fine. Simply do not play on that server, but you're a straight up liar if you say no one sees that reason as a good one, or a justifiable one. Many people enjoy and benefit from this.
You're also paranoid if you believe doing so will endanger your life.
I agree you could potentially get "harassed" or "spammed by marketing" or whatever, but that's a very very unlikely scenario that is easily dealt with by blocking a number or two, and being fearful of that happening is almost equally as paranoid as believing it will lead to endangering your life.
DOWN WITH MULTI-CLIENTING!

LavosRT

Quote from: distilled1 on Feb 18, 2021, 03:46 PM
If you personally don't care for that reason, and don't think it's a good enough reason to justify giving the server owner your mobile phone number so you can register your account, then that's fine. Simply do not play on that server, but you're a straight up liar if you say no one sees that reason as a good one, or a justifiable one. Many people enjoy and benefit from this.
I agree you could potentially get "harassed" or "spammed by marketing" or whatever, but that's a very very unlikely scenario that is easily dealt with by blocking a number or two, and being fearful of that happening is almost equally as paranoid as believing it will lead to endangering your life.

Unfortunately i don't think you're getting through their thick skulls, the reason this thread got started and the reason my review was flamed is because a few people are trying to keep other from playing Ragnarok Travels. What other reason do they have to make something like this? I do not genuinely believe for one pico-second that anyone is honestly trying to be the "savior" of the RO community and save everyone from leaking personal info and doing so out of the kindness of their heart. This post, the post i shot down on reddit and the backlash i received on my review is just a giant smear campaign against Ragnarok Travels by a few people who think servers are like political parties to get behind... No matter what good evidence you provide to contest their arguments, someone from the campaign will pull another stupid outlandish reason out of their donkey to keep this thread going.

Like the admin who locked my review thread said "User who value their privacy may choose what information they share with any online services they sign up for.  Let's just leave it at that."

yennar

Quote from: distilled1 on Feb 18, 2021, 03:46 PM

I read the other thread now - I didn't know there was another discussion about this topic.

The description of the system itself sounds like a creative solution for multi clienting, but not without issues.
At the moment I have 3 different phones (due to my work), so the solution alone would not work with me - which means the Server is still depending on reporting/manual watching from other players or mods.

I won't say that I like the solution but i can see the added-value of the server.
I also understand the heated discussions here now a bit better - people already flamed themselves on the other thread.

Quote from: LavosRT on Feb 19, 2021, 07:56 AM
Unfortunately i don't think you're getting through their thick skulls, the reason this thread got started and the reason my review was flamed is because a few people are trying to keep other from playing Ragnarok Travels. What other reason do they have to make something like this? I do not genuinely believe for one pico-second that anyone is honestly trying to be the "savior" of the RO community and save everyone from leaking personal info and doing so out of the kindness of their heart. This post, the post i shot down on reddit and the backlash i received on my review is just a giant smear campaign against Ragnarok Travels by a few people who think servers are like political parties to get behind... No matter what good evidence you provide to contest their arguments, someone from the campaign will pull another stupid outlandish reason out of their donkey to keep this thread going.

Like the admin who locked my review thread said "User who value their privacy may choose what information they share with any online services they sign up for.  Let's just leave it at that."

It's funny, because i didn't even know ragnarok travels before this discussion.
What other reason would I have to tell people to be careful about private data? There are many.
I'm someone who was trained to exercise the GDPR while at work, so i may be a bit more sensible about this topic.
This may also be the reason that I can see why Data Privacy is such a huge topic - and many people that doesn't live in a democratic country with free-speech and human rights knows the actual worth of this.

You talk about "political parties", about an agenda.
Inversion of the argument: your first post with your account was a review how your server is the best one, and how good it is - isn't that exactly that? Just an agenda to push the server you're playing on? Why else create an account here?
I don't even care about it - I started here on this forum too like that years ago. It's fine, it's legitim, but it's also legitim to critize a server for things it does.
But even if there are "political parties" against you, to use that as that an automatic disqualification for every argument that goes against your own agenda seems cheap to me.
Neverthless - the admin himself should already know that he won't reach everyone with his server. If it's acceptable for him, that's fine then? A good Ro server chooses it's own niche, it doesn't need to reach all.

PS: I looked up the TravelRo site now - When i click on "Register", there is nothing to put in your mobile phone number, also the Terms of Service aren't mentioning phone numbers at all (?) when do you even put in your phone number?

LavosRT

Quote from: yennar on Feb 19, 2021, 09:41 AM
You talk about "political parties", about an agenda.
Inversion of the argument: your first post with your account was a review how your server is the best one, and how good it is - isn't that exactly that? Just an agenda to push the server you're playing on? Why else create an account here?
I don't even care about it - I started here on this forum too like that years ago. It's fine, it's legitim, but it's also legitim to critize a server for things it does.
But even if there are "political parties" against you, to use that as that an automatic disqualification for every argument that goes against your own agenda seems cheap to me.
Neverthless - the admin himself should already know that he won't reach everyone with his server. If it's acceptable for him, that's fine then? A good Ro server chooses it's own niche, it doesn't need to reach all.

I'm sorry if you took my comment the wrong way as you kind of joined this whole discussion late in the game and tbh I haven't been keeping up to date with it so forgive my ignorance, I am sure you had perfectly valid things to say. I was more referring to OP and his intention for starting this topic.

My review was intended to just be an honest review of the server. i pointed out its up and downsides, arguments for and against it in an attempt to have others make the decision for themselves if they want to join it or not. Saying things like "is the best" is a bold statement and yes, you can absolutely say i was pushing an agenda by doing so. I also agree to some extent that yes i could also be ignorant to the opposite side of the argument because of unavoidable bias. but I in no way disqualified every argument against the server and its "features", its just all of the arguments being put forward were all very unlikely scenarios and conspiracies like "your mobile carrier is going to rat you out and sell your data" that bring nothing to the unique context of a private RO server and are just general online privacy concerns that should be up to everyone to decide for themselves.

The review thread was locked, and this thread took over the "discussion". At the same time multiple posts on reddit appeared by some of the same people claiming the server had bugs with its firewall mechanics that were false and disproven (the OP choked on his own words and got banned, it was glorious). So it makes it all seem like the intention behind this thread and others is a spreading misinformation and making travels seem nefarious for its way of handling anti-cheat because it just so happens that another 1x server opened right before i made my review that some of the players making the initial arguments against my review all flocked to, giving them a reason to try and make it look as bad as possible in hopes more people flock there with them.

Now maybe you understand why i refer to politics a bit better. Negative attack ads are toxic, but effective and this thread is just one in disguise my friend. OP is far from being the "people's hero" he 's trying to be by spreading awareness to online privacy concerns.

Eiponpon

this thread was definitely made with a very obvious ulterior motive. 2FA is not some radical idea. even ppl who live in caves have heard of it.
And don't give me that security s*** for a private unimportant Ro server.
huh, so you do know one. interesting

Bue

Quote from: LavosRT on Feb 19, 2021, 07:56 AM

I didn't bring up your server in this thread because it isn't the only server that is asking for personal information.

And we have gone over all the reasons why you shouldn't trust private servers with your personal information.

This is not about your server and I have no reason to go after your server.

If anyone is making your server look bad, then its you.

LavosRT

Quote from: Bue on Feb 20, 2021, 10:43 AM
I didn't bring up your server in this thread because it isn't the only server that is asking for personal information.

And we have gone over all the reasons why you shouldn't trust private servers with your personal information.

This is not about your server and I have no reason to go after your server.

If anyone is making your server look bad, then its you.

You absolutely have a undeniable motive to try and ruin Ragnarok Travels and you have tried to do so time and time again. The fact this thread and the reddit posts all popped up the second my review was locked is because you weren't finished with your childish temper tantrum after Lord J banned you from the discord. Don't play innocent, anyone with at least half a brain cell can see through your façade and discern your true intentions.

Boreas

Quote from: LavosRT on Feb 21, 2021, 10:35 AM
You absolutely have a undeniable motive to try and ruin Ragnarok Travels and you have tried to do so time and time again. The fact this thread and the reddit posts all popped up the second my review was locked is because you weren't finished with your childish temper tantrum after Lord J banned you from the discord. Don't play innocent, anyone with at least half a brain cell can see through your façade and discern your true intentions.

No offense, and I don't even know the server you are talking about, but you are the only one who keeps bringing up that server in this thread. :/

Bue

If I wanted to take down Ragnarok Travel, then it would have already been gone.

You must be new here if you think a thread on RMS is going to ruin your server.

And you are getting so caught up in your drama that you are confusing me for someone else.

I don't know who is manipulating you and what is making you so zealous, but you need to start thinking for yourself.

It is clear you understand the importance of data privacy, but that contradicts your server's policy of requiring players to verify themselves with their phone number. And the only way for you to resolve this contradiction is by accusing me of attacking your server because you can't make the argument against data privacy.

That is not the way.

LavosRT

Quote from: Boreas on Feb 21, 2021, 02:43 PM
No offense, and I don't even know the server you are talking about, but you are the only one who keeps bringing up that server in this thread. :/

https://forum.ratemyserver.net/server-reviews/ragnarok-travels/
https://www.reddit.com/r/RagnarokOnline/comments/lhwu72/dont_play_travels_ro_the_owner_and_only_admin_of/
https://www.reddit.com/r/RagnarokOnline/comments/lihfn9/travels_ro_firewall_bug_explained_again/

Here is the backstory for you. TL;DR: guy got banned from travels for being an idiot in discord, threw a hissy fit, decided to try and burn the server and these posts/threads including this one is the result.

Yes i understand some of you might have no clue what TravelsRO is, because this post doesn't seem like its directed at any specific server and a is general question/discussion but i assure you OP had very decisive intentions when he made it.

Quote from: Bue on Feb 21, 2021, 02:58 PM
If I wanted to take down Ragnarok Travel, then it would have already been gone.

You must be new here if you think a thread on RMS is going to ruin your server.

And you are getting so caught up in your drama that you are confusing me for someone else.

I don't know who is manipulating you and what is making you so zealous, but you need to start thinking for yourself.

It is clear you understand the importance of data privacy, but that contradicts your server's policy of requiring players to verify themselves with their phone number. And the only way for you to resolve this contradiction is by accusing me of attacking your server because you can't make the argument against data privacy.

That is not the way.
"If I wanted to take down Ragnarok Travel, then it would have already been gone."
-Wow its almost like someone is showing their true intention finally.

But, just continue to play innocent  /heh
This is your drama, not mine and until you stop i won't either.

Kamik

I work as a System Admin for a big insurance company. I work closely from time to time with the Cyber Security Department, depending on the situation. I took a Cyber Security course, and right now I'm studying for CISSP in order to change my career path.  Never give out your private information online if you can help it. This is especially true for small companies and websites. You don't know how they store the information, and even if they do maintain high standards (and trust me, they don't) - nothing is out of reach. Nothing.  /ok

Bue

Quote from: LavosRT on Feb 22, 2021, 08:32 AM
https://forum.ratemyserver.net/server-reviews/ragnarok-travels/
https://www.reddit.com/r/RagnarokOnline/comments/lhwu72/dont_play_travels_ro_the_owner_and_only_admin_of/
https://www.reddit.com/r/RagnarokOnline/comments/lihfn9/travels_ro_firewall_bug_explained_again/

Here is the backstory for you. TL;DR: guy got banned from travels for being an idiot in discord, threw a hissy fit, decided to try and burn the server and these posts/threads including this one is the result.

Yes i understand some of you might have no clue what TravelsRO is, because this post doesn't seem like its directed at any specific server and a is general question/discussion but i assure you OP had very decisive intentions when he made it.
"If I wanted to take down Ragnarok Travel, then it would have already been gone."
-Wow its almost like someone is showing their true intention finally.

But, just continue to play innocent  /heh
This is your drama, not mine and until you stop i won't either.

I would never verify my phone number with a private server or give any of my personal information to a private server. And there plenty of other people that have shared my concerns about data privacy and how our personal information can be use by internet trolls to harass us in real life or by hackers to compromise our accounts in other services.

So then, why would I argue about firewall mechanics on your server/discord/reddit when I have never even played on your server because it requires phone number verification?

Quote from: Kamik on Feb 22, 2021, 03:59 PM
I work as a System Admin for a big insurance company. I work closely from time to time with the Cyber Security Department, depending on the situation. I took a Cyber Security course, and right now I'm studying for CISSP in order to change my career path.  Never give out your private information online if you can help it. This is especially true for small companies and websites. You don't know how they store the information, and even if they do maintain high standards (and trust me, they don't) - nothing is out of reach. Nothing.  /ok

I used to write software tools for digital forensic investigators at my previous company. CISSP is legit. I have done a lot of email support and people with CISSP in their email signature tend to be easy to work with. I am glad someone else in the field can vouch for me on this. It is even worse for private servers since they are usually run by people that have no idea what they are doing.