Server Reviews

Started by Euphie, Sep 14, 2010, 06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Euphie

I know it's against the rules to offer incentives for writing reviews.. so how do you guys go about getting people to review your servers? Do people do it randomly? Do you ask them to? Threaten?! xD (I say it jokingly but I wouldn't be surprised if it's happened.)

Or if you don't own a server, but still write reviews.. why do you review that server?
Pure enjoyment? To help the server grow?

It seems like there are 2 kinds of people in regards to reviewing.. People that love to write them, and people that, even if they enjoy the server, just don't want to take the time to come on RMS and write one... well and the angry people that rage-review O_O

Check out previews of our upcoming fully custom client!

Yomi

I don't own a server.

However answering your topic question. I think it depends on type of people. Some people loves expressing their feelings or have these called concern for their server. :) and a reason for them to write a review. Some people are lazy in reading IMO, so they don't really care to write or they don't seem to know the importance of writing a review even they love the server. XD
[color=green]A New Genre of [color=orange]Ragnarok Gaming[/color] Experience.[/color]
[color=red]Coming Soon.[/color]

Euphie

The last seems to be the case in my situation.. they just don't think it helps all that much... Just different people.
I've seen huge servers barely get any.. while some small servers almost get more reviews than they have players xD
hm hm hm...

Usagimimi

If your server deserves a review, it'll get reviews.

That's all. You can try asking, but don't spam in-game with "review server" every 1h on an automated script. People hate that.

MeowyMeow

Quote from: Yusifer on Sep 14, 2010, 09:22 PM
That's all. You can try asking, but don't spam in-game with "review server" every 1h on an automated script. People hate that.

This.

Basically, have a link on the forums or the site or whatsoever, if they enjoy the server, they'll write it. Some people don't have a RMS account to write reviews, but still, word of mouth is still the best way.

Euphie

Quote from: Yusifer on Sep 14, 2010, 09:22 PM
If your server deserves a review, it'll get reviews.

....Thats one way of looking at it I guess.

Spams annoying so wouldn't want to do that anyway. Guess the only way is to remind people :]

Usagimimi

Make it convenient, too. People are more prone to review if it's in front of their faces often enough (but not too often to become annoying).

Also, more prone after a successful event or a new server addition that makes it completely unique and awesomer (harhar awesome "word") is added / done.

Immortal

The people that I know on my server I ask them to please write an HONEST review. And explain to them that the more reviews we have the more likely people will give us a try.

When a player comments that we need more people I explain the importance of reviews to getting more players.

We actually have a couple of people in our community that have taken it upon themselves to remind people to write reviews.  I think the fact that they believe that strongly that it matters helps.  It is not just the staff bugging them.

When you have to do maintenance and everyone is crying about having nothing to do for 30 minutes might be a time to remind them?

Hourly announcements can be a mix of please review, vote, upcoming events, new features...  Mix it in with things that they will want to know.

Euphie

Yeah right now we have an hourly announcer that has a number of random messages it displays.
Our maintenances only last about 2 minutes though o.o

That sounds good though, if other players encourage other players to review.. sounds like a good idea ;o

Kuprin

Yeah, don't announce spam...maybe a reminder on the update screen or something, just so they remember RMS exists, etc...other than that, just let the players write them!
Embrace the invigorating spirit of sport! Come, fight me!

Yomi

Also you might want Add a RMS link to your website and forum and you might want to explain 2-3 sentences the importance of reviewing :P
[color=green]A New Genre of [color=orange]Ragnarok Gaming[/color] Experience.[/color]

uncelebrated

Run a really great server, provide a link to RMS and I'm sure your players would be willing to write reviews. 
'effective now, ***** is butthurt because his server sucks without competent players to make things interesting'

Nomi

Quote from: Yomi on Sep 15, 2010, 10:30 PM
Also you might want Add a RMS link to your website and forum and you might want to explain 2-3 sentences the importance of reviewing :P

We do actually have the thread relating to just what you said though to make it more convenient on our forum.... that's all I wanted to say....

....*runs away* >w<

Euphie

We have links and such on forum yes, but not on the current web design (new web design is being coded with better functionality).
Some people just don't like going on forums, even though I believe them to be a pretty vital part of a community xD website > forums ><

Yomi

^
Last part is True.