My New Server

Started by jared0801, May 05, 2009, 12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LiteX

Quote from: Ayu on May 07, 2009, 11:42 PM
As much as it's nice to ask what part of the community wants to tailor the server to their liking, I think that the basic framework of the server needs to be something you really believe in how RO ought to be. It's very hard to be motivating to work on implementing something that you strongly believe to be damaging to the game, yet the community may really want it.

I think that all servers have to decide on one basic thing first regardless of rates:

"Is an ideal private server a place that should strive to be as similar to official ROs as possible, or to fix any 'problems' that official RO suffers?"

(Note: Question still applies even for HR or SHR, as we've seen some lv 99/70 and max stat 99, aspd 190 max type of servers. Some servers are really just iRO clones but the rate is very scooped up so you reach the 'endgame pvp' with optimized gears as soon as possible.)

From personal experience on assisting Pandora with heRO, almost all problems trace back to this question. People either complain on why something is not like iRO thus break the balance/feel of the game, or why it is so similar to iRO that there's nothing new and is so boring. Set your target audience to be custom seekers or official seekers, and get a rough idea on where do you draw the line to be too customized or too little customization for your server. THEN, decide on rates and additional features.

Not deciding on this can cause riots and giant flame wars over the smallest matters if you don't make yourself clear on what type of server it is: such as selling grape/grape juice in NPC or not.

Grapes are serious business

Jokes aside, I remember the riot players were doing after qRO got rid of it's honey-selling NPC, so yeah, people will nag about pretty much anything
ライテ‐エクス

mikka

Hey,

Good luck on the project but make sure you stick to it otherwise you will waste time for nothing and don't let people around here tick you off it, just know yourself that you can do it 70% of people here don't know what they're saying.
Foreign wild.