RO and gender confusion

Started by BMontgomery, Jul 06, 2007, 03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMontgomery

One thing that struck me as odd and I never fully understood is why MALES pose as FEMALES (and maybe the other way around too, I have never heard of it though) in Ragnarok Online. I know of a handfull of individuals that do this and I am certain that there are more that do this that I am not aware of.

Anyone have any idea as to WHY people do this? I am not saying that it is BAD that folks out there pose as a member of the opposite sex, it's just strange.

Jayne Cobb

for money and free equips. :P because most people on the internets never have spoken to a girl before, so they go ga-ga when a "girl" does talk to them. I'm sure there is another reason

Pandora

From what I've heard in other thread, mostly for the aforementioned reason (equips, attention, help leveling so freebies in the game for being a "girl"). Also because they like looking at a cuter sprite.

Girls who play male have mentionned doing it so they don't get hit on.
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

[color=darkblue]Click here to find out more about heRO![/color]

Emeralda

I could add 2 more reasons. One are cross-dressers. I can imagine than all males would preffer to be female~

Another one, which I heard from my cousin, is that if he had to stare at someones butt, he would preffer to stare at a girls one. Perves but somehow I can understand them.

Mieu

I've asked many cross-players this, and they've (for the most part) told me the same thing--female sprites look better.  Some people see their character as a manifestation of themself (hence a role-playing game) others see it as an avatar, a sort of 'pet' that they may feel fondness for or kinship with, but not necessarily want to BE.

And because this forum can be read by small children, I won't comment on how the conversation progressed to what they would do if they really DID have female bodies...

BMontgomery

Interesting. Three out of the four people that respond have a FEMALE logo in their display. How many of you are really male? Be honest.

Quote from: Jayne Cobb on Jul 06, 2007, 03:34 PM
for money and free equips. :P because most people on the internets never have spoken to a girl before, so they go ga-ga when a "girl" does talk to them. I'm sure there is another reason

How do you figure that most people on the internet have never spoken to a girl before?

Quote from: Mieu on Jul 06, 2007, 05:37 PM
Some people see their character as a manifestation of themself (hence a role-playing game) others see it as an avatar, a sort of 'pet' that they may feel fondness for or kinship with, but not necessarily want to BE.

Are you saying that the people that see their character as a manifestation of themself have a feminine side hence the female character?

What does feeling a kinship towards the character have to do with it's gender?

Jayne Cobb

Quote from: BMontgomery on Jul 06, 2007, 08:37 PM
Quote from: Jayne Cobb on Jul 06, 2007, 03:34 PM

How do you figure that most people on the internet have never spoken to a girl before?
my experiance on several forums and games.

Transcend

That s being stereotipical,altough i find it DESPICABLE how males go around with FEMALE CHARS
as to emerald's cousin,yeah true,we don t wanna end gay.also to John,your experience dosen t count as ours therefore your statement is invalid.
What is the definition of speaking to a girl?if a guy came to me and told me gimme a knife please i wouldn t say no male or female
and even over the internet you are still talking ,discussing with another person's mind,idea's and beleives.

Graviteh

female sprites look better.

BINGO! I have not posed as a female character specifically to garner items. I played girl chars because they look way better.

BMontgomery

Quote from: Jayne Cobb on Jul 06, 2007, 09:33 PM
my experiance on several forums and games.

Yeah, there are plenty of internet junkies out there (I am not an internet junkie BTW) that live in front of their computers, have little contact with people in real life, prefer the internet social life (RO for example) over a real social life etc. etc.

With the internet social life style it is easy to hide and lie and play a role (such as a member of the opposite sex) that could only be wished for in real life. Once the junkie in online, the insecure and awkward person goes away and dream person comes out. The more addicted the junkie becomes to the internet social life the more insecure and awkward the junkie becomes in real life.

The internet social life is a sad and vicious cycle if you ask me. I don't doubt for a second that the majority of the forum and gamer addicts (RO included) out there fit my junkie profile.

PS

No I am not talking about everyone that has ever used a female character.

Mieu

Quote from: BMontgomery on Jul 06, 2007, 08:37 PM

Some people see their character as a manifestation of themself (hence a role-playing game) others see it as an avatar, a sort of 'pet' that they may feel fondness for or kinship with, but not necessarily want to BE.

Are you saying that the people that see their character as a manifestation of themself have a feminine side hence the female character?

What does feeling a kinship towards the character have to do with it's gender?

Nono, I meant in an impersonal way.  They see their character not as an extension of themself, but as something controlled by them.  I'm assuming that many (heterosexual) males wouldn't be against the prospect of making a scantily-clad, generously-proportioned female sprite run baywatch-style around Rune-Midgard, kicking some serious tail at the same time.  Hello, Tomb Raider anyone?  I'm sure some guys can say they'd rather look at a chick with a smoking hot body that defies gravity in more ways than one than well, another dude.  Pure speculation though!

Transcend

Transcend at the cinema
Friend of his : Hey dude ,Watch brad pitt in the beach of lara croft in the beach.They say brad pitt is good
Transcend l: HUH DUHHHDE HELL NO LARA Dx
(dosen t wanna end gay)

NikitaDarkstar

From what I've heard most seem to think the female sprites are better done.. personally I crossdressed as a guy alot when I played on iRO simply cause I got sick of getting hit on, getting cybering propositions etc. simply put I was allowed to paly the game in peace as a guy.

But well this phenomenon is kind of common in online games, and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with 14-15 year olds and hormones....

MMORPG = Many Men Online Role Playing Girls  :-*

superja

I am a female irl but often play as male chars, because I want to play the game. there are a lot of guys out there who are plain awful to a female char. So what if i'm a dancer? that doesn't mean i'm a whore! No, i don't want to marry you!

I am always careful never to mislead a person.... if they ask what my name is, I don't make a male one up. I don't hit on girls, and talk exactly as I would on a female char. It's just nice to be able to play the game with others and not have to worry about getting hit on.

And i totally disagree that the female sprites look better. Only a few I like better:
1.Stalker
2.  priest (but not high priest)
3.  ninja (obviously.... XD)
4. sometimes paladin... i'm iffy on this one
5. SOUL LINKER.... (what's up with the male one anyways??)
6. Knight... and sometimes lk...
but mostly, I like the male characters better.

ArcAngelArtemis

The only reason I ever make a char of a different gender, is to marry myself lol. Because face it kids, marriage on ro, its just stupid :P