Privacy? Are GMs entitled to it as well?

Started by Denia, Apr 04, 2008, 03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrrgleCaek

Quote from: superja on Apr 06, 2008, 05:18 PM
I don't know, I'm under the opinion that if a gm wants to play, they shouldn't be a gm. If they truly want to be doing their drop properly, they should be holding events/helping people or whatever job they are supposed to be doing, whenever they can be doing it.
A gm who takes their job seriously but also wants to have a l33t character is going to find this difficult unless they're spawning equips for themselves, because they can't keep up with 12 year olds that can devote all of their free time to leveling and nothing else.
Have you ever GMed before? Of course it's the GM responsibilities to keep things in line, but hey, their job ain't 24/7, a little time to play the game doesn't hurt the server. Why does the dreaded 12 year old children, "l33t" characters, and "If a GM makes a legit character they're a terrible GM" come to mind? Like I said, don't assume 100% of GMs are going to be all set on leveling their legit character and making it "l33t" if they make one. What is with this blatant mistrust over this subject anyway? Just another catalyst for drama I guess...
On the other hand, it does become an issue when a server's staff spends more time playing the server than managing it, they just simply become a player that has a nice account with all the special @ commands on the side. But hey, it's the whacky world of private servers, unprofessionalism exists everywhere in it =B.

bulbasteve

Ah, but have you ever GMed on an actual offical game before? Do people ever complain about GM corruption anywhere except for private servers? It seems to me that the lack of professional and mixing the duties of moderating a community with playing the game does just lead to trouble...as just glancing that these forums can tell you.

And even if there are a lot of professional GMs the fact is you really don't NEED them on servers which are a smll percentage of the size of an official server, and heck they don't even do the same things as GMs do on official servers.

MrrgleCaek

Quote from: bulbasteve on Apr 07, 2008, 02:22 AM
Ah, but have you ever GMed on an actual offical game before? Do people ever complain about GM corruption anywhere except for private servers? It seems to me that the lack of professional and mixing the duties of moderating a community with playing the game does just lead to trouble...as just glancing that these forums can tell you.

And even if there are a lot of professional GMs the fact is you really don't NEED them on servers which are a smll percentage of the size of an official server, and heck they don't even do the same things as GMs do on official servers.
True Q_Q, but than again, people assigned as GMs on private servers don't get paid as they would on an official server, nor write an actual detailed resume to apply, so things aren't as "formal" as they would be.
Also true on GMs not being needed for small population servers, except for that 1-2 GMs (one for server ingame maintainence and another for event/police/whatever) be around not exactly all the time but pose as somewhat as an authority in the server to keep it relativly organized.
So....why is it a big deal to play even a little bit on a server you GM on? (besides the whole "corruption" issue, irresponsibilities of poor GMs...), if they played on another server people wouldn't make such a big deal anyway.
And yes...yes...glancing at these forums have told me much >_>, I am aware of all the bs that goes on in all those ill fated servers.

Itakou

Yes,

but the average player will never understand and corruption is always the first assumption to everything.

Itakou
People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

dook

if people werent nubs and gave random gms or idiots risky commands then corruption will ensue.

Quote from: dook on Apr 08, 2008, 01:10 AM
if people werent nubs and gave random gms or idiots risky commands then corruption will ensue.

Dx not entirely true... i know some pro GM's that "went to the dark side" for reasons like guild mates, friends, or girls =/

Pandora

Actually, I have heard of corruption on official servers by the GMs there, in some countries GM do shaddy business and sell items to players for real cash, not in all official servers obviously, places like pRO and bRO came to my ears. Don't know how true it is, but it wouldnt surprise me too much, salaries there aren't exactly high.

As for players, like Itakou said, they will always assume there is corruption. In an immature mind, it's much easier to blame corruption rather than admit defeat if they are beaten by a gm's legit character, specially if they've seen corruption on other servers people are fast to make the wrong conclusions or associations.

As for keeping a character secret, it's not as easy as it can seem, specially if you wanna play with your friends. And this kind of information spreads like forest fire, once you tell someone, if they tell someone the word gets out madly fast. My legit on my server was secret for almost a year, but eventually it got out. Once people know, expect to be bothered ever so often for GM questions while you're playing.
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

[color=darkblue]Click here to find out more about heRO![/color]

Aris

Quote from: Jayne Cobb on Apr 06, 2008, 11:58 PM
Quote from: Aris on Apr 06, 2008, 11:19 PM
^ there's always more than one GM on at once so GMs can fill in for each other when one wants to take breaks... I know I took a few breaks here and there by playing my legits with friends.
wat.

Haven't you admitted multiple times on the old Openkore forums that you bot? Quite contradictory.

i only botted after i quit gming and you should know that if you read the ok forums.

Pandora

Quote from: Aris on Apr 08, 2008, 08:23 AM
Quote from: Jayne Cobb on Apr 06, 2008, 11:58 PM
Quote from: Aris on Apr 06, 2008, 11:19 PM
^ there's always more than one GM on at once so GMs can fill in for each other when one wants to take breaks... I know I took a few breaks here and there by playing my legits with friends.
wat.

Haven't you admitted multiple times on the old Openkore forums that you bot? Quite contradictory.

wat does that have to do with my post?
I guess he's questioning the word "legit" that you put in your post (so it is relevant to your post), because he claims you bot.
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

[color=darkblue]Click here to find out more about heRO![/color]

Aris

lmao read edited post. that was only till after i quit. i was talking about my time when i gmed which i didn't and like i said in my old original post.

what does it have to do with anything?

MrrgleCaek

Quote from: Pandora on Apr 08, 2008, 08:18 AM
Actually, I have heard of corruption on official servers by the GMs there, in some countries GM do shaddy business and sell items to players for real cash, not in all official servers obviously, places like pRO and bRO came to my ears. Don't know how true it is, but it wouldnt surprise me too much, salaries there aren't exactly high.

As for players, like Itakou said, they will always assume there is corruption. In an immature mind, it's much easier to blame corruption rather than admit defeat if they are beaten by a gm's legit character, specially if they've seen corruption on other servers people are fast to make the wrong conclusions or associations.

As for keeping a character secret, it's not as easy as it can seem, specially if you wanna play with your friends. And this kind of information spreads like forest fire, once you tell someone, if they tell someone the word gets out madly fast. My legit on my server was secret for almost a year, but eventually it got out. Once people know, expect to be bothered ever so often for GM questions while you're playing.
*laughs* looking at the US salary as a GM ranging at 38k (per year), doesn't sound like something I'm going to set my future on =v. They must've been really desperate to make items for money on players, than again those countries you said where it's happened has a fair amount of poverty in them =\. It really sucks to see these "corrupt" servers run by some half-twat GMs create a bad image for everyone else, I just find it outrageous how these kids make SUCH a big deal over whining "corruption!", and ruining the game experience all together for others and themselves. So what now? I guess there's really no solution for GMs to attain some sense of privacy without completly making themselves another persona so people do not know?

Aris

i find it hilarious how i've been accused for iteming for a certain guild lro a while ago when i don't know ANYONE in the guild or even talked to any of them... people need to fix their brains imo

MrrgleCaek

Quote from: Aris on Apr 08, 2008, 12:57 PM
i find it hilarious how i've been accused for iteming for a certain guild lro a while ago when i don't know ANYONE in the guild or even talked to any of them... people need to fix their brains imo
I no one deserves to be accused in that way without decent evidence...let me guess, they stalk you? ~~;

Aris

na lmfao. was a big rumor for a certain time amongst big guilds. i even joined a vent chat (didn't say it was my ofc) and they eventually started talking about me and s*** regarding that. was hilarious.

i actually posted this before in that lro is corrupt thread lol.

Mewi

Well from my experience keeping legits secret only leads to much controversy, it would be far better for such things to be public.   

For a few reasons I can think of,  if a GM is suspected of corruption, it would be far more easier for players to spot it if they know who they are dealing with.  You can make an easier judgment on whether that GM may be favoring a specific guild or group of friends by how they allow them to violate rules.

Whether or not they are keeping their legits secret, I think we can all agree on this...  That Admins/GMs/Developers legits should ALWAYS remain unsecret between staff members.

Becoming a GM means you sacrifice a part of your soul forever, be prepared.