Privacy? Are GMs entitled to it as well?

Started by Denia, Apr 04, 2008, 03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denia

Would you say a GM is entitled to privacy as well? Such as, if a GM were to be playing on their player character, should players know this player character's name? Is a GM even entitled to playing normally as a player?

What if your player name, were to be linked with your full real name. Would it be right of a player to divulge your identity for everyone to see and potentially harass you in game and/or harass you in real life?

What is your take on it?

(Oh crud, posted this in the wrong section, can someone please move this to general discussion forum please? ^^)

~EXKillA~

i cant move it but Oo

if a gm have a legit account and plays there like a normal player without giving himself items or any other stuff then i would say he should keep his identity as a secret Oo

i mean i told my server that i have some legit accounts with no donation stuff or any other helpful stuff from my admin account and they asked me on the run whats the name of my characters and i just told them that i play as a normal player and such things and they accepted it
1 character is in a german guild 1 in an english guild and another in a spanish guild and no one knows that those 3 chars are my accounts because im good at hiding myself >3

its really funny to start conversations about the gms and to talk about yourself to get to know what they think about the server and the gms and players

but when a gm just uses is legit account to get free stuff on his acc with his gm then i would say he should be known in the server so that everyone can check him if he gives stuff away to other people to avoid corruption
[color=red]ECCHI-RO has been moved

New Domain >>>>>> http://ecchi-rag.com/ <<<<<< New Domain

We also activated our old Forum until we fixed our current one, please check out the Homepage[/color]

i think its the only way GM's should play~

i mean if a GM is gona make a char i say they really shouldn't be letting anyone know their char is a legit......
if they do let ppl know they have a legit it leads to ppl screaming corruption and a lot of other things >.<

bulbasteve

But isn't that WHY they should say what characters they used. Better to be upfront than to be "outed", people are going to assume you kept it secret cause you were giving the character stuff.

Wait, I know a way to solve the problem....no GMs! :)

Well, at least no item spawning/money powers. You are there to moderate the game, not to make armor poof into existence. (yes even event GMs, cheapskates, use your own money :p)

As for knowing thier real name...well only if it's a donation server, then obviously that is very important.

Aris

why shouldn't they be allowed to have legit chars? also if they want the privacy then why not? i myself didn't hide my legits but i didn't go around saying "OMFG KAETS IS MY LEGIT!! GO PM HIM" or whatever. people just eventually found out and i didn't care much. it is annoying to get PMs from people asking you questions or to do a bot check on someone if you're doing something with a few friends. but you got /exall for that.

so ya i think the GM should have privacy on his legit if he wants it.

real life name? lol. aris is my rl name and i use it whenever possible heh.

btw if you don't trust your GMs enough to not give them #item (well at least to the top rank GMs) then they shouldn't be GMs should they?

edit: also again. you people are confusing @item with #item...

DeePee

I don't see why not.
The GM's of an RO server were also players once and they obviously like the game, so I don't see a problem with it. As long as they work for their gears like a normal player does and don't abuse any GM powers, it's all fine. There'll always be some players who will scream that you're using illegit gears, but you'll always have idiots on every server :)

About telling people about it...I guess you can look at it from two ways.

1. If you'd make it public that you are in fact a GM, you just know you will be bothered with what-not. Especially on a highly populated server as anthemRO, I don't think you can play in "peace" without having people spam you with questions.
2. If you would keep it hidden, you'd have to do it pretty damn good. As said at point 1, you're on a highly populated server, so if you are not careful enough, they will find out eventually. As there'll always be idiots, there'll probably be flaming about you "secretly" playing and such and rumours will cause more e-drama.

Eh, yeah...I guess if you'd do it, I'd go for the second option, to just keep it hidden and hope for the playerbase to not flame about it if they ever find out.

~EXKillA~

QuoteI don't see why not.
The GM's of an RO server were also players once and they obviously like the game, so I don't see a problem with it. As long as they work for their gears like a normal player does and don't abuse any GM powers, it's all fine. There'll always be some players who will scream that you're using illegit gears, but you'll always have idiots on every server Smiley

i were never a player on my server Oo from the start of the server i was a gm lvl 10 and went up to admin gm lvl 99 <3
nja, with my legits im always around the mainttown and on my main legit everyone knows me as the "lazy player lvl 100" who is sitting in pron

and if anyone asks who exkilla is i tell them that exkilla *me* will soon come online Oo but they never check it that i am the player Oo

they also said that i *my legit account* should be a gm on my server xD something funny
[color=red]ECCHI-RO has been moved

New Domain >>>>>> http://ecchi-rag.com/ <<<<<< New Domain

We also activated our old Forum until we fixed our current one, please check out the Homepage[/color]

Leon.H

Quote from: JJJ on Apr 04, 2008, 06:50 PM

i mean if a GM is gona make a char i say they really shouldn't be letting anyone know their char is a legit......
if they do let ppl know they have a legit it leads to ppl screaming corruption and a lot of other things >.<
They should not play.
Elegy Ro Project blog http://honoretimes.blogspot.com/

Quote from: Leon.H on Apr 05, 2008, 01:04 PM
Quote from: JJJ on Apr 04, 2008, 06:50 PM

They should not play.

Dx but thats not fair.....
what im saying is if they DO play then they shouldn't tell ppl who their legit is, or wat guild their in either

MrrgleCaek

They should not play.
People shouldn't get their panties in a knot over this and start thinking of GMs as humans, don't assume 100% of GMs are those irreverent kids or they'll all of a sudden with the snap of a finger be "corrupt" for god sakes ~~;.
Legit character? Why not, if they have the free time, it's not up to these zealous players to state how they do their actions, and if a GM DOES happen to abuse his power, it's pretty easy to fire them no? But unfortunatly....it's true, most of the time a GM, especially in the private servers slopped full of e-drama, they'd need it, hell, every person does. I just hate this prejudice going around where GMs are all of a sudden considered not an average player or human being.

Aris

Quote from: MrrgleCaek on Apr 05, 2008, 01:44 PM
They should not play.
People shouldn't get their panties in a knot over this and start thinking of GMs as humans, don't assume 100% of GMs are those irreverent kids or they'll all of a sudden with the snap of a finger be "corrupt" for god sakes ~~;.
Legit character? Why not, if they have the free time, it's not up to these zealous players to state how they do their actions, and if a GM DOES happen to abuse his power, it's pretty easy to fire them no? But unfortunatly....it's true, most of the time a GM, especially in the private servers slopped full of e-drama, they'd need it, hell, every person does. I just hate this prejudice going around where GMs are all of a sudden considered not a average player or human being.
qft...

Denia

Some players seem to find it funny when they reveal identities, though, some player characters are linked to real names, and with that real addresses and such. Not only that but there are other people in some GM households, which makes it unfair to them because they also get harassed even though the others are legitimate.

I just think that if a GM would like privacy, they should be entitled to it just like any normal player. It's not like we run around telling everyone who is what gender, or what other characters this person has, etc /fsh

superja

I don't know, I'm under the opinion that if a gm wants to play, they shouldn't be a gm. If they truly want to be doing their drop properly, they should be holding events/helping people or whatever job they are supposed to be doing, whenever they can be doing it.
A gm who takes their job seriously but also wants to have a l33t character is going to find this difficult unless they're spawning equips for themselves, because they can't keep up with 12 year olds that can devote all of their free time to leveling and nothing else.

Aris

^ there's always more than one GM on at once so GMs can fill in for each other when one wants to take breaks... I know I took a few breaks here and there by playing my legits with friends.

Jayne Cobb

Quote from: Aris on Apr 06, 2008, 11:19 PM
^ there's always more than one GM on at once so GMs can fill in for each other when one wants to take breaks... I know I took a few breaks here and there by playing my legits with friends.
wat.

Haven't you admitted multiple times on the old Openkore forums that you bot? Quite contradictory.