Non-trans only server! Interested?

Started by mathio, Jun 26, 2008, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mathio

Hi all,

I had this idea... but when I made a search here I found out I was not the only nor first one to think about it. There were also unsuccesfull attemps to create a server like this (attemp one, attemp two).

Here is very rough specification I'd like to present:

Technical thingies
Latest eAthena with few customizations (like removing Rebirt quest). Older vesions were also in consideration but due to many bugs it was decided to use latest one. Also nontrans classes might find it challenging and fun to explore new locations.
Server will be hosted in Europe (Slovakia) with focus on European players. Players from other parts of the world are welcome too, but due to different timezones we will adjust WoE for Europe (twice a week in the evening). We might consider opening another set of castles for people in other timezones (and make the time of WoE acceptable for them), if there will be enough of players.

No rebirth
Novice -> 1st class -> 2nd class; no soullinker, no gunslinger, no ninja, no TK. I think that first classes are more balanced, none is insanely overpowered and good guild needs most of the characters to be efective in WoE. Also it not only makes the game more ballanced but lets newcoming players catch up more quickly even with lower rates: level 90 and 99 nontrans are comparable, but 98 nontrans is no match for 90 trans (and we all know 90-99 is the hardest part).
It might disappoint some players who cant play without overpowered char :)
Maybe also remove homunculus - officialy approved bot, but still bot.

PvP at all maps except towns
PvP with no exp loss for death when killed by other player. Players would be able to attack everyone except guild, ally and party. There will also be some safe level" that will protect you from getting killed (about 50). It should encourage playing in parties (which is cornerstone of RO) because parties can defend easier against potential PKers and actually do the PKing too.

Rates
Base and job rates are not gonna be higher than 1-1.5. This is to prevent getting 99 super fast and spoiling all the fun. I was thinking of dynamic drop rate (probably 100-20% = 1x, 20-3% = 2x, 2*0.11 = 3x, 0.1-0.01% = 5x) to prevent droping loads of items but also making hunting cards and rare equips easier. Autoloot only for rare items (like <1%).

Customizations
No warper, reseter, healer, etc.
We will try to include custom quests for all, or at least most, headgears that are available in RO (mainly those with main purpuse to make its wearer cute).
Will have PvP, Party-vs-Party, GvG tournaments and leagues.
There should be NPCs (all over the world) that will change certain items for other (for example a weapon for 100 pieces of some highly dropped loot from monster). For example they could also trade trans-only equips from players, because it will have no other use.
Regular events for exp-increasing items to make life easier for new players.
Custom quests that will be more challenging than official ones which are documented at the internet (and people dont think, only go step by step using HowTos).

And more (I'm just too lazy to type it all here in english).

Conclusion
I need to make plans for summer. And this might be part of them, if the interest is high enough. I already got feedback from about 10 people who like the idea and would most probably jin the server once its up. But you have to agree that server needs far more than 10 people to be a good one - at least 10-15 times more.
Pleae let me know whether you are interested in joining and possibly bringing your guild, friends, family, co-workers etc.

Bye... ;)

-sao`

Haha, I got your e-mail. I'll be glad to help you set up a server like this, I always wanted to play a non-trans server again but I don't think I could ever GM again. I just wouldn't have the time to do it. Want to PM me you're MSN or AIM information so we can talk more about it?

Anti-Static Foam Cleaner

I'm pretty sure there already is a server doing this; too lazy to look up the name.

mathio

-sao` > Thx for offer but I already have people to handle the work around server ;)

Anti-Static Foam Cleaner, superja > Well, server with 2 people online is not really what I was aiming for :) But thanks anyway, maybe my server would end up the same way. Anyway, thats why I asked here - to avoid this happening...

GM Faith

This is something i was discussing with friends a year or so ago.

Its a nice idea, IMO trans classes ruined RO and 3rd classes are set to destroy it utterly  :-\

Howerver, as nice an idea as it is, its the biggest kind of niche-server and one that would be extremely difficult to pull off, especialyl with so much of the new end-game PVM encounters relying heavily on Trans-class skills.
Impossible is nothing..

Rehael

Quote from: GM Faith on Jul 06, 2008, 08:05 AM
This is something i was discussing with friends a year or so ago.

Its a nice idea, IMO trans classes ruined RO and 3rd classes are set to destroy it utterly  :-\

Howerver, as nice an idea as it is, its the biggest kind of niche-server and one that would be extremely difficult to pull off, especialyl with so much of the new end-game PVM encounters relying heavily on Trans-class skills.

In this case how about using a previous episode?
The Greatest Server is in preparation phase : http://valiantro.com
Setting the standard so high the other servers will look like noob stuff. ;)

GM Faith

In which case, you're seriously going to struggle to compete for any players at all.

Like i said, nice idea, but not entirely practical unfortunately.
Impossible is nothing..

Rehael

Quote from: GM Faith on Jul 06, 2008, 09:04 AM
In which case, you're seriously going to struggle to compete for any players at all.

Like i said, nice idea, but not entirely practical unfortunately.

You're right, but i'm sure that if you gather 3 capable people with you, you'd be able to revamp the whole 13.1 Episode to suit the needs of a server where only Second classes exist.

MWright967

Lol. What a rip off of Wright RO....

Rehael

Anti-Static Foam Cleaner

*Koki grabs the popcorn and nods at JJJ reminding him not to spam

MWright967

Quote from: Rehael on Jul 06, 2008, 01:41 PM
Quote from: MWright967 on Jul 06, 2008, 01:22 PM
Lol. What a rip off of Wright RO....
huh?

This entire server is a rip off of Wright RO. The server-side customs, the item exchanging s***, the rates (to some extent) and most of all...The non-trans. Except for Obstacle RO, Wright RO was the first server to encompass any of that stuff...When I took it down, within a few months more clones like Highland RO and Grand RO popped up....Shameless crap if you ask me.

My Thoughts
all servers are entire rip offs of other servers
server originally near never exists all ideas are recycles after a while, once in a hundred servers a unique idea comes up and as soon as it does its snatched up 
[close]

and guys... keep it civil please @_@
no bursting out into flames >.<

MWright967

Quote from: JJJ on Jul 06, 2008, 11:02 PM
My Thoughts
all servers are entire rip offs of other servers
server originally near never exists all ideas are recycles after a while, once in a hundred servers a unique idea comes up and as soon as it does its snatched up 
[close]

and guys... keep it civil please @_@
no bursting out into flames >.<

I'm not. I'm simply saying that its a rip off my server, which it is.