Was using the name "CakeRO" a bad idea?

Started by Squid, Oct 22, 2008, 12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squid

Well my brother and I recently started up a server with the name CakeRO.
At the time we were unaware of there being other servers with the name CakeRO in the past.
This could be either attracting people or leading them away depending on the reputation the other CakeRO servers had.
I know that there was one popular CakeRO server before and now people come in asking if this is made by the same Admin.
The server is about a month old and still has a fairly small community, though I'm not sure on how quickly servers grow.
But I was just wondering, was it a bad idea because of so many other servers using the same name?

Anti-Static Foam Cleaner

It's bad iea first and foremost because of the "Cake is a lie" meme which is very unfunny.

Skotlex

CakeRO's motto could then be: The one cake that is NOT a lie. Still as unfunny, but I would use it :B

Just add a disclaimer on your website stating it is not affiliated to past reincarnations of cakes.

(RMS reviews)

Descent

Quote from: Squid on Oct 22, 2008, 12:57 AM
Well my brother and I recently started up a server with the name CakeRO.
At the time we were unaware of there being other servers with the name CakeRO in the past.
This could be either attracting people or leading them away depending on the reputation the other CakeRO servers had.
I know that there was one popular CakeRO server before and now people come in asking if this is made by the same Admin.
The server is about a month old and still has a fairly small community, though I'm not sure on how quickly servers grow.
But I was just wondering, was it a bad idea because of so many other servers using the same name?

CakeRO was pretty big, but if I remember correctly, it was also incredibly corrupt, and ended up breaking to form two small corrupt servers, which in turn spawned more.

Pandora

Why not call it SquidRO? It's original enough ^_^ otherwise a disclaimer like Skotlex suggested should do the trick.
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

[color=darkblue]Click here to find out more about heRO![/color]

Poki

Was about to say "Call it SquidRO, it doesn't sound that bad" too.

But it's not a great idea to name a server that had existed in the past.  Normally it's better to start a new unique name.  But of course, it's still possible to run the server with the name CakeRO.

mmm i agree.... disclaimer or just a new name ^^

Squid

I think by now changing our name is not an option. Since we have a domain and banners on several websites.
I guess we'll just have to deal with it.
But with the other CakeRO server having a bad reputation, would it be bad for us?
I can't really tell since I don't know how quickly servers usually grow within the first month.

Poki

It shouldn't be that bad.  There are of course players who haven't played CakeRO before.

Descent

Quote from: Squid on Oct 22, 2008, 09:05 PM
I think by now changing our name is not an option. Since we have a domain and banners on several websites.
I guess we'll just have to deal with it.
But with the other CakeRO server having a bad reputation, would it be bad for us?
I can't really tell since I don't know how quickly servers usually grow within the first month.

It shouldn't be a big deal. Just so long as you let people know that it is not affiliated in any way with the previous CakeRO, their reputation shouldn't make a difference.

Good luck with your new server.

yC

heh, actually when i saw your banner on the eA forum I thought of the old cake ro too.

Is it this one?

http://ratemyserver.net/index.php?page=detailedlistserver&serid=355&url_sname=CakeRO%20Midrate&itv=999

I thought they have a high/super high rate but I can't find it.

Well it died more than a year ago.  Don't worry about it.  If anything you are just attracting old players to take a look so there's nothing bad about it.  Unless someone looking for corruption which hopefully they will be disappointed lol.

Rekenber

The most recent CakeRO before yours was not really a bad server, but it was server client itself was trash.

There were random rollbacks and wipes occur everyday. Pretty soon, the server just died less than a month.

XionSiphon

lol the server was a lie

But yeah, would have to also agree with skot, add a disclaimer of some sort.

Scars

Change it, come on not like its a extraordinary "omg that's awesome" name.