Server advertising/review question.

Started by naosy, Apr 21, 2009, 08:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

naosy

I noticed quite a few servers, such as feelRO, having pretty attractive "rewards" for writing reviews and voting. Hence they are able to receive a lot of votes and generally good reviews, and hence attract more players, who would do likewise.

Just wanted to ask  if that is acceptable. I know a few servers who still adheres to the rule of no prizes for voting, but has that changed? Servers that has incentives seem to be doing quite well in terms of attracting new players, so shouldn't every server be doing it?

What's the consensus?

Thanks in advance.

Descent

It's generally looked down upon. Mostly due to the fact that if a server is "so great" as the Staff implies, there shouldn't be any incentives for players to vote, they should be doing it because the server is as good as the ads imply.

"Vote 4 Points/Coins/Hats/whatever" is usually a sham, the Admin knows that there's nothing that's going to get a vote out of these players, and it's also a stall tactic to keep them around to continue getting "free items!".

Rewards for writing reviews are against our rules and is subject to yC's judgement(de-listing, temporary de-listing, warning, etc).

Pandora

If you have proof that they give any sort of reward for writing reviews you should screenshot it and report it to yc (writting guides doesn't count, it's not the same as reviews), as for rewards for voting in the tops, sadly the topsites don't seem to care.
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

[color=darkblue]Click here to find out more about heRO![/color]

yC

RMS can't stop any server from using vote for point system to give incentive to VOTES.  It is up to the other voting site to take action if the system is against their ToS.

We just ask that ... No point/reward/gift/item/incentive is given to review and no server goal is tied to the number of review (or server score).  Also, no misleading setup/statement/action that will mislead/confuse player into believing he/she will be rewarded by writing a review. 

If you are not clear, refer to the server owner Terms of Services for the full details.

If you find any server that is breaking the ToS by providing incentive for review, you can just post your find in the server report forum or pm me.

horo

Is the coins for vote system really that looked down upon? I was considering it, as the great majority of players are far too lazy to vote otherwise, but now I'm not so sure anymore.

LemonCrosswalk

Skotlex

It is only looked down by those who look down on it.

Those who do not care are unlikely to bother replying to this. If you have enough players, why not ask them if they think it would do more harm than good?

There are people who will look for every little thing as a reason to yell foul and look down on a server, you can't do much there.

(RMS reviews)

Hutchy

Skotlex

Quote from: Hutchy on Apr 28, 2009, 05:10 PM
Quote from: Skotlex on Apr 28, 2009, 03:17 PM
It is only looked down by those who look down on it.

...Um.
Well, you are supposed to use your imagination :P It could read something like "It is only looked down by those who look down on it, and those are the only ones you are going to hear loudly making their stance. Which is why it might make it seem that it is looked down by everyone, when in fact it is just a loud minority."

But too lazy to write all that :/

(RMS reviews)