Jynx-Online STEALS

Started by Usako, Aug 15, 2006, 03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Usako

I was browsing some servers, and came across one that I had been tols steals things from other servers, so I went in to check it out. They in fact DO steal. They took my pimp hat sprite that was meant only to be ued by my server and PimpRO (the people I made it for). This pisses me off greatly and I hope other people will look down on them for doing such things as well.

Applesoap

pay me 50$ and i destroy that hosts bank account and his money balancing olol

yC

it's really hard to stop stealing, sad to hear that.  i think ppl just do whatever with whatever sprites they got from random servers without knowing who made them and was it meant to be used by others ...

Usako

Yeah the thing is that unless they stole it about 6 months ago, they would have stolen it knowingly. The installer with my exclusive stuff has a serial code, and they have to get the link to it from me. So they probably "hacked" it or something unless they got it a while back. But I was on their site not long ago and they didn't have it. So I dunno. Still lame :( but at least they didn't steal more as far as i know.

Rbread

Well, items are extremely easy to get.  Those with your serial code could be passing the files around the internet like Sumsum with girls.  It does suck to have your stuff stolen but I don't think there's a way to fight it.  You can always try contacting the owner and see if he/she will comply but that usually never works.  Best if you raised a mob of 2.5k citizens and marched for your rights.

Usako

well the people i gave the serial numbers are old old players of mine who really enjoy our server. so if they want to be banned that's cool too ;p

yC

but but... isn't that after installation all the files are on the player's computer and that's freely accessable and usable by the player including sending/sharing with other ppl?  =/

i feel sorry for you Usako, i just read in that they "copyrighted" THEIR files ...  so did you try to pm the owner etc in their forum and see what they say?

Rbread

yc no double posting...

i'm getting a headache

Also, unless they paid for legal copyrights, their copyright means squat.  Also, they can't copyright files that they did not make and everybody in the world knows they did not make those sprites.

So if JynxRO is going to act up like this, I suggest that they get blacklisted from all RO sites.

Usako

Quote from: yC on Aug 16, 2006, 11:52 PM
but but... isn't that after installation all the files are on the player's computer and that's freely accessable and usable by the player including sending/sharing with other ppl?  =/

i feel sorry for you Usako, i just read in that they "copyrighted" THEIR files ...  so did you try to pm the owner etc in their forum and see what they say?

not if you put it in your terms of service that the things are only to be used for personal use or through our server and not on any other server :)

i've tried PMing them before. they never answered. i think actually they're one of the people that banned me from their forums :p

yC

Quote from: yC on Aug 16, 2006, 11:52 PM

by that i just mean u can't do nothing about them when they are at their comp ... obviously they are breaking your rules / agreements by sending/sharing with others but there's just nothing you can do to stop them and they wouldn't care once they get their hands on your pack...

Usako

Yeah but servers like that shouldn't be allowed on RMS. That's basically my point.

Unmei

=x that bites

If servers take things from other servers they should give credit or if they don't know who made what at least say we didn't make this whoever made it did a nice job, etc

Xarale

That's really lame when a server steals ideas/sprites.. etc from another, without giving any credit to the server they stole it from.
I'll be sure to avoid this server.  ;)

Usako

well...yeah it's bad enough he didn't give credit...but it's also the fact he stole straight from my patch...it's not something i released publicly :p

Kain

iv noticed this for quite some time. In most cases the server owner simply ignores anyone who calls him on stealing. the players who do play on there believe they make the sprites themselves and will deny anyone to tells them otherwise. sadly theres not much you can do since grf's cant be protected(at least, as far as i know).