How to make a Partyful server?

Started by eKoh, Sep 14, 2014, 03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Playtester

Depends on what you want to customize. Spawns? Stats?

The main problem I have with customized servers is that they don't make their changes very visible. You need to browse through forums or just try yourself to even figure out what custom stuff they have in.

If monsters stats are changed, the server should offer a "monster search" feature on the website.
If spawns are changed, the server should offer a world and dungeon map and where you hover over, it tells you the spawn.
(basically like this: http://db.irowiki.org/classic/world-map/ and http://db.irowiki.org/classic/dungeon-map/)
Plus the monster database should then also show where the monster spawns, so it's easy for players to find the best hunt spot.

And a log listing ALL the changes in a single thread. Not spread around the whole forum over hundreds of announcement threads.

Playtester

Oh and also I just remembered, you probably would want to make some skills like Heat on Boss Protocol (if that even still works) less abusable or your server might end up with leeching only.

eKoh

Quote from: Playtester on Sep 16, 2014, 06:36 AM
Depends on what you want to customize. Spawns? Stats?

The main problem I have with customized servers is that they don't make their changes very visible. You need to browse through forums or just try yourself to even figure out what custom stuff they have in.

And a log listing ALL the changes in a single thread. Not spread around the whole forum over hundreds of announcement threads.

I was thinking on spawns and monster's exp.

I was also thinking the same thing, I hate when a server make changes like these and the information is hard 2 get. As you said a "monster search" feature would be good, but I think that a topic, specifying the changes of monsters/maps would be enough at the beginning of the server.

Quote from: Playtester on Sep 16, 2014, 08:02 AM
Oh and also I just remembered, you probably would want to make some skills like Heat on Boss Protocol (if that even still works) less abusable or your server might end up with leeching only.

:S! I dont know what's that, explain me. Me noob haha. Btw, leeching is something that I want to avoid, I see that talonRO has a lot of leeching services and I think that is ... bullsh3t.
We are a Pre-Renewal Midrate. Looking for the most
competitive
scene in Pvp, Mvp, and Hunting!

Grand Opening this July 15th!
Visit Aria-RO.com

Playtester

As long as all changes are listen in a single thread and there aren't too many I guess that's fine. But if you change the spawn on all 600+ maps, then that's too hard to read for a player who just wants to know where he can hunt a certain monster.

Quote:S! I dont know what's that, explain me. Me noob haha. Btw, leeching is something that I want to avoid, I see that talonRO has a lot of leeching services and I think that is ... bullsh3t.
There are a few really hard regions in RO, that despite their difficulty are hard to party on. Bio 3, Thor, New World. That is because you really need a very focused group or just solo these regions to be effective in them. Going with in with a just for fun party usually ends up with the party dead in just a few seconds.

The monster in these regions (well Bio 3 and Thor at least) give so much exp, that it's highly rewarding.
Particularly Thor ended up becoming the #1 leeching place because of that.
One of the methods used there was to use for example Star Gladiator's Heat to kill Kasas. As heat doesn't knock back boss monsters there will just stay next to the Star Gladiator and get hit every tick interval (every 20ms, that's 50 hits per second). The target is a goner pretty fast. An SG doesn't need much party support there other than someone giving buffs and heals but that can also be done by alts.

But honestly I'm not sure how to even get rid of leeching.

eKoh

Quote from: Playtester on Sep 16, 2014, 09:34 AM

The monster in these regions (well Bio 3 and Thor at least) give so much exp, that it's highly rewarding.
Particularly Thor ended up becoming the #1 leeching place because of that.
One of the methods used there was to use for example Star Gladiator's Heat to kill Kasas. As heat doesn't knock back boss monsters there will just stay next to the Star Gladiator and get hit every tick interval (every 20ms, that's 50 hits per second). The target is a goner pretty fast. An SG doesn't need much party support there other than someone giving buffs and heals but that can also be done by alts.

But honestly I'm not sure how to even get rid of leeching.

I see... I think Thor should be nerfed too (exp), since it is the main place to train. This is why ppl are now not going to Lhz3 or other dungeons, also abbey is the reason of this happening.

Quote from: Playtester on Sep 16, 2014, 09:34 AM

Of course I am going to do this haha.
competitive

Visit Aria-RO.com

Playtester

Imo Cursed Abbey is one of the most fun places to party up in. At least the first floor.

eKoh

hmm, an idea came to my mind, what about re balance the unpopular maps to compite vs the popular ones, and make "happy hours" on this and that dungeon, giving a minimal exp bonus of 10~20% for the maps, that way you can jump into different maps and have different fun haha
competitive

Visit Aria-RO.com

Playtester

Yeah I said something similar like that earlier already. Make events so people focus on a few selected maps so more people meet up -> more partying.

Also don't just decrease the EXP in those super hard regions.
I'd go so far and say decrease the ATK of all mobs that can't be tanked by anyone. No tanking possible is usually a big party killer. A party just isn't fun if no party member can even survive a single hit. I'd even make MVPs weaker.

But I can imagine that people will be against this.

Triper

I would make all the MVPs instanced [add a story, make a 3-5 floor dungeon accessible with at least 5 players, add a ranking system where each MVP killed = points to each member of a party, points that could even be exchanged for useful items at a npc, etc] and strong as hell with weaker versions of the MVP cards at a decent rate to drop while the real ones would be kept as 0.01% but that's me because I think that MVPs should be also a part of the end, not an "anyone can do it easy" and because I like stuff like ET where a good party > all.

The real MVPs could even be changed for a similar monster with decent gear - not junk and maybe even custom but useful gear - so that they would still be there for a reason.

eKoh

Quote from: Playtester on Sep 17, 2014, 07:02 AM
Also don't just decrease the EXP in those super hard regions.
I'd go so far and say decrease the ATK of all mobs that can't be tanked by anyone. No tanking possible is usually a big party killer. A party just isn't fun if no party member can even survive a single hit. I'd even make MVPs weaker.

But I can imagine that people will be against this.

I am thinking the same way, I remember that the monsters from New World deal so crazy damage, I wanna decrease that, to make them more~ enjoyable than just using fly wing and killing them by insane DS or AD.

Most of the time people is affraid from what is new~~ As renewal haha, but I think that we have to face those changes and start building a good gameplay with feedback+brain and of course, a lot of effort.

Quote from: Triper on Sep 17, 2014, 12:04 PM
I would make all the MVPs instanced [add a story, make a 3-5 floor dungeon accessible with at least 5 players, add a ranking system where each MVP killed = points to each member of a party, points that could even be exchanged for useful items at a npc, etc] and strong as hell with weaker versions of the MVP cards at a decent rate to drop while the real ones would be kept as 0.01% but that's me because I think that MVPs should be also a part of the end, not an "anyone can do it easy" and because I like stuff like ET where a good party > all.

The real MVPs could even be changed for a similar monster with decent gear - not junk and maybe even custom but useful gear - so that they would still be there for a reason.

;D! I am glad to read that! Last week I've just completed the custom novice ground for my server, it has a story quest that I've used some little effects + sounds to make an envolving story to the player and at the end you have to defeat the terrible Taiko to leave that place haha.

I was also thinking on making something like this, like releasing some custom Atroce and using the .bmp images (like kafra) of atroce + sounds (maybe a wolf howling) + effects (a scratch) to make an envolving story as I said.

I want to work on that too, but I think it is not really important on the beginning of the server. But if the server comes stable and everything is going well, I will of course start working on that what you say! It would be really amazing! *-*
competitive

Visit Aria-RO.com

Playtester

Well Renewal messed up a lot of things. Sure the decrease of ATK in new world is nice, but generally Renewal is too easy.

But really regions like New World and Thor only have so high ATK because the market on official servers at that time was already swarmed with many +10 gears and MVP cards. With 90 DEF the damage goes down from 5000 to 500.

For low rate private servers however, people won't have as good gear as on official and no MVP cards, so reducing ATK in these regions seems quite reasonable.

eKoh

Quote from: Playtester on Sep 18, 2014, 04:55 AM
Well Renewal messed up a lot of things. Sure the decrease of ATK in new world is nice, but generally Renewal is too easy.

But really regions like New World and Thor only have so high ATK because the market on official servers at that time was already swarmed with many +10 gears and MVP cards. With 90 DEF the damage goes down from 5000 to 500.

For low rate private servers however, people won't have as good gear as on official and no MVP cards, so reducing ATK in these regions seems quite reasonable.

Hmm, how come renewal is too easy? I tought it was hard:P
competitive

Visit Aria-RO.com

Playtester

I found it fairly easy, because monster damage is lower and because mobs above your level are not worth the exp, you will just end up fighting monsters your level or lower.
But of course lately they did a monster damage upgrade, so I guess not it isn't all that easy anymore.