How do you compete with big servers?

Started by SpaceFalcon, Mar 13, 2023, 01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceFalcon

I can easily setup a server and I know plenty of webdev to make a decent website but with those skills I'll only have a generic server.
to code unique unique NPC's I need a C++ developer and to have unique items and monsters and other customs I need a graphic artist.

can a single developer even make anything people will want to play?

Playtester

People need trust that the owner is competent, so if you don't know C++ (by the way you can create NPCs without knowing C++ you just need to learn the script language of the emulator) and lack further skills to adjust the game in any way, it's unlikely that people will trust you unless you already have a good history as trustworthy person.

Even if you were the most skilled developer of all time, you would still have a hard time to compete with the big servers because people will prioritize a large playerbase over the skills of the admin usually.

A lot of it is marketing too. If you are already a famous streamer for example, you could probably make a successful server just by already starting out with 5000+ players and then everyone else joins just because the population is so high, even if you don't have much skills otherwise.

If you ask me, you should never make a server to compete with big servers. The only reason to make a server should be because you want to play something that does not exist yet and you have the skills to make it exist. Trying to compete with big servers is just asking for being disappointed. But if you make something you love, then at least you get to enjoy it and maybe a few other that share your vision.

SpaceFalcon

QuoteThe only reason to make a server should be because you want to play something that does not exist yet

agree it's what I am going for I want my server to be more focused on new PvP modes. It's why I said I need a C++ developer since I assume it's not possible to create something similar to WoE/Battlegrounds with just rathena's script language.

thanks for writing that post for me I will try to focus on creating my own features instead of comparing my server to big servers.

OrcLordDaddy

Do something that noone else does:

Create an actual 100% vanilla server with no custom changes.

Noone is offering that.

Neffletics

Quote from: SpaceFalcon on Mar 13, 2023, 01:21 PM
can a single developer even make anything people will want to play?

I was the sole developer for my past server for at least 4 months when I started it. The server's population grew to around 1,000, and I wore multiple hats - developer, customer service representative, marketer, and whatever else the server needed. (so, yes, you can compete with big servers)

Passion is more important than anything else when it comes to creating a server for a specific niche. If a server is not unique or does not offer anything unique, it will become a generic server without a soul.
solacero rip

SpaceFalcon

Quote from: Playtester on Mar 13, 2023, 01:44 PM
you just need to learn the script language of the emulator

https://github.com/rathena/rathena/blob/master/doc/script_commands.txt

Found this apparently the scripting language is way more powerful then I thought so yeah I take that back about needing to know c++, with this scripting language seems possible to create anything.

Quote from: Neffletics on Mar 13, 2023, 04:35 PM
I was the sole developer for my past server for at least 4 months when I started it. The server's population grew to around 1,000, and I wore multiple hats - developer, customer service representative, marketer, and whatever else the server needed. (so, yes, you can compete with big servers)

Passion is more important than anything else when it comes to creating a server for a specific niche. If a server is not unique or does not offer anything unique, it will become a generic server without a soul.

that's impressive nice :)

Chimichanga

Nothing to do with programming, but where I see a lot of people fail is pre-marketing. The servers with 100+ tend to list their servers on this forum, the rms site, reddit, etc. one month in advance. Setup a decent discord server for people to join. Also, see what other servers are doing and I would think you could look at their coding to see how they did what they did. People also hire volunteers to take on some of the coding too.

ADM Ornstein

You don't need to be a C++ dev, you just need to know what you want to do and build around it.

I'm not a C++ dev and been working on return to morroc for around 400 days now, wanna know when I started learning about server? 401 days ago. I just took my time and had a precise plan of what I wanted to make.

You also don't "compete" with big servers, each has their own thing, if you make a "Lv 255, full pvp with custom wings" server, it clearly will have more competition and may not be attractive.

But overall, you can do it yourself, with patience and time, working on the details yourself, as long as you're willing to put in the effort for it (and has a little bit of luck and talent + google fu).

It's also a good way to learn new skills. I learned a lot about C++, scripts, linux , cyber security , encryptions ,webdesign, game design and such... I still have no clue how some stuff works, but it's what I wanted, and I made it.

Take your time reading guides, read the documentation available, check forums for info, ask away at discord (but don't be a leecher please) and you'll figure out what's needed. It's not easy but it's very possible.

My server may not be the best, but It's like the dude above said, it's exactly "What I wanted to play".
Working again on cool stuff for people tired of the old stuff.

This time invite only. :P

Playtester

@admornstein

If you did all the customization I see on your server yourself, then I'd certainly consider you a C++ dev. Maybe you weren't one 401 days ago, but you certainly are now.

ADM Ornstein

Quote from: Playtester on Mar 19, 2023, 01:01 PM
@admornstein

If you did all the customization I see on your server yourself, then I'd certainly consider you a C++ dev. Maybe you weren't one 401 days ago, but you certainly are now.

To be honest...I have no idea how to do most stuff.

I did, in fact 100% do it myself, but I literally only know what does what, I dunno the "official names" dev names or whatever.

I just know how the pieces move lol.
Working again on cool stuff for people tired of the old stuff.

This time invite only. :P

Heuspers

It's somewhat possible but it's better with small team of trusted people (Maximum 5 people). Because again... you need a team to share the workload.. yes you can be the hero of "I can do everything by myselfs" but trust me you still need second opinion of others so when you somewhat make bad decission they will give their opinion. But you have to be clever as well on which opinion is good and bad so no one will control you.

Second is you have to define who is your target market. Most of PServers will boast about their unique features that nobody else have but they tend to forget one simple thing, who is your target segment.

Do remember that most of PServers players would probably some oldies with literal knowledge of the game from 2002 as it is and those who kept playing jumping from server to server. So you have to position yourself as the user first and foremost. If you feel uncomfortable during testing then why the others would play your server if they are uncomfortable.

All in all, also refer to that topic on How to Make Fail Pservers. That topic already write what you can't do.