How do a server ends? [OathRO]

Started by Ayami, Dec 09, 2022, 11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ayami

Hello, I'm Ayami, Ex-Content Developer for a little over a year on the OathRO server, I felt the need to come here publicly to put my vision of everything I've experienced and seen on OathRO.
I joined the Oath staff just a few months after its creation (two or three months) and was there until the end. There I met the admin called "Oathkeeper".

His server had good class modifications and apparently a good future, so I got excited, over the months I created not only a remake of Payon but a complete dungeon and lots of other fun content (https://www.artstation.com/gm_ayami) I was so excited that I even delayed my 2022 studies, all for the server. I also created a good atmosphere in the discord with a lots of useful bots and suggestions on how to keep it going, but as time went by some problems arose...

Oath acted a bit strange sometimes, of course, he had work and many other things besides the server but I realized that he just... He did not care about people being extremely toxic both in-game and in the discord, I will not put private DMs here because I think it is a low blow but I found it strange, we had no rules that stop you to be a total idiot, many blamed the CMs for not doing anything but they were following the rules created by Oathkeeper himself.
The weirdest thing about this was when (after weeks of work) Sairek (one of our CMs) created and sent to Oath many new rules, finally rules that we can clean our community from rotten oranges and all that but... Oath just stopped half way through, for weeks, even if you are busy you are a server admin, you could have an hour or two to review something your own CM spent so much time creating.

Then the bad community started to get more and more out of control with the lack of rules, I was threatened by a player, they threatened my family, revealed where I live and everything. Not only me but many of the staff received these threats. The rotten oranges were feeling totally free to play with Oath's weak fist in this matter.
I often stood side by Oath, I was tired of the rotten oranges and wanted to change that, I saw that my admin was more and more tired and afraid that he would just give up one day and that day really came and went yesterday...

But it didn't go the way that I wanted

In secret Oath created an edited wizz, he infiltrated a guild posing as a conventional player and played the woe with his wizz, obviously with the edited wizz he was much more powerful than everyone else. Obviously this raised eyebrows so one of our Devs caught him in the act, I felt ashamed, how could someone get to that point? But I understood Oath's side, he seemed so desperate to leave the server that maybe in a crazy thought he just did all that s***, betraying his community and his own staff.

But I was confident, I made a long LONG announcement (https://discord.com/channels/876676924687155210/884720756930535445/1050448502125232199) Saying and making clear this whole problem with rotten oranges, the departure of Oath and that he would no longer be our admin, even if he was tired, nothing justified it and I made it clear that we would try to fix it, even with such a hard low blow, even so I wanted to stay positive, I could have a new page to change all that and finally completely improve the weak sides of our server

But nothing could have prepared me for what was to come today, Oathkeeper just go into our server's root machine and wiped it all out... Even though he said he'd never come back and wished us luck. In the end the server that me, Dast and all the other staff dedicated a whole year to just... go. A server that most of us worked on for free, just for love.

Many will say that all this is just a way to hide corruption or just excuses but know that I don't care about you, I feel sad, I feel betrayed, all the good people who spent HUNDREDS OF HOURS on this server, all the screenshots of cute or powerful characters, all gone... I don't know who to believe anymore, I loved the people on this server, I trusted Oath, today is a terrible day for me.

Raïner

The server fund is on cryptocurrency itself, which in my perspective, with how the crypto scene with its downfall currently going on, probably, his investments, funds and maybe even income went down with it.
I feel for the guy, but this is a lowest blow to what u guys worked on. Its just how life works by nature, Chaos. Accept and move on
But hey, i still love your Christmas Event, so ur legacy is still there, and i appreciate it lol. Now that the cess pool popped, i owe you guys an apologize, as u guys are just victims of this, and main problem is Oath

Blinzer

well hey you seem to really care about ragnarok, let me hire you to work on the game

Klungoko

KARMA for what you people did to TravelsRO

• The server catered towards a few guys calling the shots
  • The administrator and GM's acted with a morality superiority complex
  • With that attitude they were the main force behind the dogpiling against TravelsRO an actual good server and promised their fanatics they would NEVER do anything wrong
  • They allowed a****** like REBORN and the a****** that play with him to play on their server, this is the second server I know it dies after they move into it, first one was RetRO and they were one of the minorous bug exploiters there, they exploited everything they could exploit on RetRO, they should have never allowed them to play there, hands down the most toxic a****** in the RO community
  • They bragged constantly abou being the number one server pouring more salt into the injury
  • Turns out the admin and owner of the server is not special at all and cheats on his own server and then deletes the server out of spite for being caught
  • OathRO is no more, completely deslisted

It is litteral KARMA.

dastgir

Quote from: Ayami on Dec 09, 2022, 11:06 AM
Hello, I'm Ayami, Ex-Content Developer for a little over a year on the OathRO server, I felt the need to come here publicly to put my vision of everything I've experienced and seen on OathRO.
I joined the Oath staff just a few months after its creation (two or three months) and was there until the end. There I met the admin called "Oathkeeper".

His server had good class modifications and apparently a good future, so I got excited, over the months I created not only a remake of Payon but a complete dungeon and lots of other fun content (https://www.artstation.com/gm_ayami) I was so excited that I even delayed my 2022 studies, all for the server. I also created a good atmosphere in the discord with a lots of useful bots and suggestions on how to keep it going, but as time went by some problems arose...

Oath acted a bit strange sometimes, of course, he had work and many other things besides the server but I realized that he just... He did not care about people being extremely toxic both in-game and in the discord, I will not put private DMs here because I think it is a low blow but I found it strange, we had no rules that stop you to be a total idiot, many blamed the CMs for not doing anything but they were following the rules created by Oathkeeper himself.
The weirdest thing about this was when (after weeks of work) Sairek (one of our CMs) created and sent to Oath many new rules, finally rules that we can clean our community from rotten oranges and all that but... Oath just stopped half way through, for weeks, even if you are busy you are a server admin, you could have an hour or two to review something your own CM spent so much time creating.

Then the bad community started to get more and more out of control with the lack of rules, I was threatened by a player, they threatened my family, revealed where I live and everything. Not only me but many of the staff received these threats. The rotten oranges were feeling totally free to play with Oath's weak fist in this matter.
I often stood side by Oath, I was tired of the rotten oranges and wanted to change that, I saw that my admin was more and more tired and afraid that he would just give up one day and that day really came and went yesterday...

But it didn't go the way that I wanted

In secret Oath created an edited wizz, he infiltrated a guild posing as a conventional player and played the woe with his wizz, obviously with the edited wizz he was much more powerful than everyone else. Obviously this raised eyebrows so one of our Devs caught him in the act, I felt ashamed, how could someone get to that point? But I understood Oath's side, he seemed so desperate to leave the server that maybe in a crazy thought he just did all that s***, betraying his community and his own staff.

But I was confident, I made a long LONG announcement (https://discord.com/channels/876676924687155210/884720756930535445/1050448502125232199) Saying and making clear this whole problem with rotten oranges, the departure of Oath and that he would no longer be our admin, even if he was tired, nothing justified it and I made it clear that we would try to fix it, even with such a hard low blow, even so I wanted to stay positive, I could have a new page to change all that and finally completely improve the weak sides of our server

But nothing could have prepared me for what was to come today, Oathkeeper just go into our server's root machine and wiped it all out... Even though he said he'd never come back and wished us luck. In the end the server that me, Dast and all the other staff dedicated a whole year to just... go. A server that most of us worked on for free, just for love.

Many will say that all this is just a way to hide corruption or just excuses but know that I don't care about you, I feel sad, I feel betrayed, all the good people who spent HUNDREDS OF HOURS on this server, all the screenshots of cute or powerful characters, all gone... I don't know who to believe anymore, I loved the people on this server, I trusted Oath, today is a terrible day for me.
Your work is impressive.

It's weird that oath acted like this and decided to terminate host contract before transferring it as agreed.

charlielovesu

make no mistake. You say you are worried he shut down the server out of trying to hide his corruption, but as a server owner who knows how the back end works I can say that all he would have to do is clear some logs and be on his way if that was his concern.

Reality is, the man just didn't want his project in someone else's hands probably. As a server owner to some extent I get it, its your baby once you begin. But it also grows and becomes something else. It no longer is just yours and becomes the communities as well. I think its pretty selfish to burn everything down on your way out.

I get the burn out, running a server is mentally exhausting. No doubt about it. But if you can't handle it, at least hand it off to someone else when you give up. Others are more than willing to handle a project. Especially when the base is set.

ac195

Truly sad to see the leading servers of such a good game ran by children. As hard as it is, you don't know who your admins are. 1x server and hours and hours lost for some. Terrible. The better servers will outlast the ones that are ran for the wrong reasons. Continue to do your research on your admins before picking a server yall. Dm them, if they don't make the time for you for conversation, don't spend your time on their server.

Sairek Ceareste

Quote from: ac195 on Dec 10, 2022, 09:19 AM
Truly sad to see the leading servers of such a good game ran by children. As hard as it is, you don't know who your admins are. 1x server and hours and hours lost for some. Terrible. The better servers will outlast the ones that are ran for the wrong reasons. Continue to do your research on your admins before picking a server yall. Dm them, if they don't make the time for you for conversation, don't spend your time on their server.

Apparently, in my position, nearly 7 years of friendship was just an immaterial thing that could be thrown away overnight.

I knew him since I was a teenager. I feel like all of that time, I may have just been getting groomed by him. It's a sickening realization.

Raïner

/wah the truth is hard to swallow. Glad u finally realised the situation  /no1

ac195

Quote from: Sairek Ceareste on Dec 10, 2022, 09:33 AM

Apparently, in my position, nearly 7 years of friendship was just an immaterial thing that could be thrown away overnight.

I knew him since I was a teenager. I feel like all of that time, I may have just been getting groomed by him. It's a sickening realization.

Insane.
Simply put, you don't know someone fully unless they want you to know them. Sad. It's worse that it affects so many people who put their faith in the individual.

Sairek Ceareste

It survives.

Dastgir managed to save it. Oathkeeper in his attempt at erasing everything has failed.

All the player data is gone, but the game -- the scripts, the maps, they are all still here in tact.

For now, it will rest in hibernation for a while. Dastgir and I need to consider who shall adopt it and give it a new home, or if we want to try and take it up ourselves (I'm weary of this; it's a lot of responsibility).
But Dastgir bought it back from the flat-line and now it's resting, waiting for the day where players will take residence in the streets of "New Old Payon", for first classes to bop all manner of porings in the Poring Dig Site dungeon, for people to farm for faction points in Payon Undertombs, and for elite parties to brave the horror of the Muspelheim dungeon once again.

yC

For a 1x server, the player data shall be the most important ... If there's any last attempt or if/when Oathkeeper calmed down a bit from this difficult situation, any way to save the player data shall be the first priority.

Sairek Ceareste

Quote from: yC on Dec 10, 2022, 01:19 PM
For a 1x server, the player data shall be the most important ... If there's any last attempt or if/when Oathkeeper calmed down a bit from this difficult situation, any way to save the player data shall be the first priority.

That is sad, but at least those are things that can be obtained again. RO players are no strangers starting a server from new again.

But while it is a 1x server primarily, it is faster to level up than a 1x server. If I can make a level 99 baby mage in 16 days, I'm sure people will manage. /heh

We'd probably do some opening package/event to help people get back on their feet again, too.

Prussian

Quote from: Sairek Ceareste on Dec 10, 2022, 09:33 AM

Has anyone been able to get a word from Oathkeeper ever since the server got wiped?

Sairek Ceareste

Quote from: Prussian on Dec 10, 2022, 04:46 PM
Has anyone been able to get a word from Oathkeeper ever since the server got wiped?

Nope. Nothing.

Still no reply on the Paypal front, either, at least for me.