heRO is turning 15 years old <3

Started by Pandora, Oct 05, 2020, 08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pandora

heRO is celebrating its 15th anniversary!

The server opened on October 15th 2005. We believe this makes it the longest running RO private server.

Time sure flies when you're having fun  /ok

To thank our players we added events and a brand new quest called The Hero's Journey. It start with a fresh level 1 novice and takes the player on an adventure, giving exp via questing.

We also have a Halloween event, because the birthday is in october. This one is more about puzzle solving

We also added hourly MVP and Events

We work hard to create an enjoyable experience for our community. <3

What do you guys do to mark the special occasions on your server?
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

[color=darkblue]Click here to find out more about heRO![/color]

Neffletics

Congratulations! Happy to see my old server alive. Pandora's one of the very dedicated server admins in the community.

I was in heRO around the year 2007 or 2008, my friends and I were playing this server and Ragnarok Frontier at the same time. I think that was also heRO's golden age, we were around 250-300 every day.
solacero rip

jacobo_bobo

Congratulations HeRO!

15 years is a hell of an achievement and shows commitment to your project and your community.   /no1

Pandora

@Neffletics Thanks. While we still have lots of nice players, the population has indeed decreased from those days. There were also more RO players in general back then. In the past few years Discord has been a great help in keeping the community engaged together.

@jacobo_bobo Thank you, we work hard and our community seems to appreciate! ^_^
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

Nubblyn

Woww.. Happy Anniversary ! I remember playing heRO long time ago, so nostalgic~ Best wishes and keep it up ! Great work from the team keeping it around for many years  /lv

Pepo

gratz (https://www.reborn.cz/ started in 2004 if i remember correctly)

Pandora

@Nubblyn Thanks! Don't hesitate to pay us a visit ;)

@Pepo Awww, it seems they started in july 2005, which makes them older than us by 3 months Then we're the oldest English-speaking private server.  /heh

Our Tap event:

Graceful Bee

This quest was a load of fun! I've never seen anything quite like it. I was overwhelmed by the quality. There's a part where you have to rescue a lost party of adventurers and when you find them the AIs join you and fight with you and buff you and stuff for the rest of the dungeon. You guys should consider adding that as a mercenary for hire kinda thing. There's also a bit where you're poisoned, I was surprised at first like WTH. I have never seen a status effect used like that in a quest.

I just joined last month so this was a really big boost for me and I got to make some new classes because you reach level 80 with that one (long) quest. I hope more people try it.

Nekoruchii

Congrats, heRO! I did try the server for a very short while, but I guess I wasn't one of the people who didn't got attracted to it. =( Other than that, its amazing that you can really call the server home and by chance to pass a generation from another.

Satos

The longevity alone makes the server worth checking out.  (Even if you don't care for low rate servers)

And if you don't particularly enjoy low rates, The Hero's Journey quest that is currently offered upon making a new character, will get you through both job changes and to level 80/50 in the space of 30 minutes to a couple of hours. (depending on how quickly you find some of the NPCs)

Speaking of...The Hero's Journey quest is probably the best custom quest I've ever seen on any server.
It's very good at blending traditional RO content with some of the custom towns and areas on HeRO.
It begins as a "go here, do this" quest, and culminates in an instanced dungeon quest with some NPC party members (giving you a feel of what a balanced party can do in a mid-level dungeon) and ends with a message about the legacy of RO and what has made it special over the years.
It's a good story line that lets you reminisce on the history of RO, while letting you look forward to the future of this particular HeRO server.

Possibly most useful of all...if you are wanting to play a class that traditionally has to reset its build mid-way through leveling, this quest will take you to a second job, level 70/50, with only having killed 5 Porings and 5 Lunatics (can be done with the base 1 stat point in every field)...or if you've already allocated every stat point, you also get a free reset ticket.
You'll end the quest with 100k-200k zeny, and some decent leveling gear.

The server has quite a bit of custom content/towns/fields/dungeons/gear/cards, but somehow seems to keep everything relatively balanced with the regular RO content.
It's almost as if they've created enough custom content, that if you wanted to play solely in new areas...you probably can.
Or if you want to play in only traditional RO content, you can; or mix and match...and neither choice seems to benefit you more than if you'd chosen the other.
Everything seems to be meticulously balanced out.

The population is pretty small...or just really quiet in Main chat.
But the people that are online have been very friendly and gracious in helping others.
I wasn't able to kill some of the monsters to hunt parts of a custom gear set that I was wanting to use...so some of the players helped me complete my set.
(Results not guaranteed for every new player...my experiences are mine alone and might not reflect your experience)

Likewise, one of the events drops some loot for players to pick up...often times players don't fight over the loot.  They pick up a little, walk away, and let every player get decent amounts of loot for themselves.

I've been pleasantly surprised at how much I'm enjoying HeRO.
I'm not usually a low rate fan...and I'm not super content with the pace that I am leveling at.
(But I did choose to main a Crit Soul Linker, which is notoriously slow at everything...so it's my own fault   /pif)
But somehow I still find myself logging in almost every evening to hunt around, and explore their new content.

They also take reports seriously.  I reported a player impersonating a GM.  I had an email the next day thanking me for the report, and notifying me that the player had been banned.

I'd give this server a solid 8/10..."should try"
In case you're wondering, the only draw backs for me are the smaller population and the low rates...which aren't anything to fault them on really.

They can't control  the size of their population (which could actually change if a lot of people get tired of these classic "progression" servers)...and they have seen 15 years of success being a low rate server...so it's working out alright for them.
So if both of those are your thing, this server is 10/10 for what you're looking for.

(If you play on a low rate progression based server here's a spoiler'd opinion to consider)
Spoiler

A small side note for low rate progression based server players (because I actually stuck with one for awhile a few years ago)

You know when you get to that point where you hit the progression cap for your server, and then you're stuck waiting for an undisclosed amount of time for the Transcendence update to hit...or for the next set of towns and dungeons to get unlocked...
Why do we do that?
I didn't find that fun.

You don't have to do that here.  This server has years of new content to explore.  Decently designed, well thought out content, that is new to you and me.
I haven't hit 99 yet, here.  But I'm already enjoying exploring new content.  It's tickling the nostalgic buttons...but it's totally new.

I'm still having to do the old RO dungeon entrance quests.
You still have to physically travel to a town before you can unlock it at the Warper (still have to pay 200z per warp).
This server is hitting all the good things I enjoyed about the 1x official iRO that I grew up with, and loved; while offering new things for my brain to make memories of.

Seriously, leave your classic progression for 2 or 3 days, and check out HeRO.
The Hero's Journey quest just got added (I think in October for its anniversary.) And I'm not certain if it's a permanent addition, or just an anniversary month only thing, to get new players somewhat up to speed.

If you don't like what you experience...chances are, you're no worse off when you get back to your home server, because of the spaced out progression release schedule.
But I don't think you'll be disappointed. 

This server could stand a few more people.  And I'm pretty certain that there are 50-60 of you out there playing progression based classics that don't actually want the progression part of it.
[close]

I didn't intend for this post to turn into a server review.  I guess I should actually leave an RMS review now.
Anyway, Happy Birthday HeRO! 
It's refreshing to see a well established unique older server, in the time of multiple dime-a-dozen servers with short lifespans.