Gravity is suing some private servers

Started by Kisuka, Apr 21, 2022, 04:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaeris

A number of servers are being delisted, probably on request or voluntarily. A good move, assuming Gravity hasn't already done its homework.

Jekyll

stay low for now until their witch hunting stopped.

Oathkeeper

I delisted until this hopefully blows over.  There's no reason to provoke a rabid dog right now.

Khinaya

I was wondering what had happened to the list. I checked Origins and they are delisted/gone as well.

Fu Wind

Check my awesome Youtube Channel for Rune Knight content, AB content and others:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxj_I417ixk1Qny8WZGJXBg

krazynuts99

It's a d1ck move for me when Gravity starting to sue and kill most private servers today. I get it they don't have rights to make a server since they have the copyright about RO files and everything. But let's be honest the main reason why Gravity sue them it's not because of the copyright but about how many players play their game. Players play on private server since most of them are play to win and some are play to earn with NFTS. It's their own fault why they lost players they jumped from play to win to pay to win. In Ragnarok Mobile, Ragnarok X: New Gen, Ragnarok Lost Memories and Labyrinth of Ragnarok at first it's easy to become strong but when days continues, and more updates comes the game the game became top-up dependant. I remember on Ragnarok Mobile they released a mount on auction that cost around $26,000. They even shut down Labyrinth of RO just to make it into Labyrith of RO NFT. Even if Gravity started suing Private servers time comes private server will still conquers them as players will quit the official games. They even can't do something about the mass bot and zeny bug on RO GGH. Some players manage to get 200m zeny in just a week because of the zeny bug.

D1ck move for Gravity.

OldPoring

Gravity is great again! After 20 yers!
Let's keep a list of the debacle to understand the scale of Gravity's greatness

1. TalonRO
2. Asgard Legend
3. RetRO
4. Ragnarok Travels
5. OriginsRO
6. ....?

Styx

Quote from: Kaeris on May 04, 2022, 04:22 AM
Not private servers directly, but a number of private server streamers were hit with copyright strikes by Gravity and had their channels suspended earlier today. So far it seems they might be taking this a bit more seriously than before. The question is - why now?

Several reasons but most important one; because they were reaching the important deadline of 20 years, after that they could have serious problems in several countries for a claim.
Now, they have another 20 years to do so and of course they need examples to establish it seriously and obvious they will take on the ones where it is easy and possible to accomplish.
Lawyers are not cheap, so there must be some prospects for Gravity other then just pumping in money in this 24/7 because in the end they have stakeholders to deal with.
So, low profile for a while, keep away from Renewal to avoid they pick you as target on occasion.

Playtester

Quote from: Styx on May 09, 2022, 05:18 AM
Several reasons but most important one; because they were reaching the important deadline of 20 years, after that they could have serious problems in several countries for a claim.
Now, they have another 20 years to do so and of course they need examples to establish it seriously and obvious they will take on the ones where it is easy and possible to accomplish.
Lawyers are not cheap, so there must be some prospects for Gravity other then just pumping in money in this 24/7 because in the end they have stakeholders to deal with.
So, low profile for a while, keep away from Renewal to avoid they pick you as target on occasion.
Would actually be great if that was the main reason.

longlostfriend

Gravity can originate non-cash shop server, Pre-renewal/Re-newal/Poring servers and try to earn money with something else like costumes, NFTs, events or, heck, even use my pc to mine Ethereum or something while I play my beloved original version of Ragnarok I used to play when I was 12 YO.

Sairek Ceareste

Quote from: Kattyjung on May 09, 2022, 10:06 PM
Gravity can originate non-cash shop server, Pre-renewal/Re-newal/Poring servers and try to earn money with something else like costumes, NFTs, events or, heck, even use my pc to mine Ethereum or something while I play my beloved original version of Ragnarok I used to play when I was 12 YO.

All of those are even more predatory than a cash shop. /swt

Like, I understand having a cash shop if it's going to be free to play; it's somewhat understandable. I think most people understand that too. The problem is that there needs to be a bit of give and take still. If you lean too far into the monetization, then there's not even any gameplay for the game you are playing anymore. The gameplay is merely the act of swiping your credit card. No reason to farm. No reason to speak to people and to form parties. No reason to do anything. RO is both a sandbox and a social game. You strip those two aspects away and shove them into the cash shop, what left is there to actually do?

Not to mention it destroys game balance. Good luck playing a support when anyone can just swipe a credit card and have a priest in their pocket with infinite HP/SP.

OldPoring

For me there are no big problems with the p2w, cash shop or bots on official servers because I mostly play solo now. And I play only PvE. I'm not really competing with other players, so don't care that there are god geared  players around. I want a good economy on the server of course.

For me the main problem of the official servers is that they simply disappear even before the private servers. In my country, the official server existed for 10 years, then closed. Now we have opened a new official one, but without transferring the old characters. And they can close it at any moment again.

If they guaranteed by the very fact that this is a super puper Gravity corporation and their servers will never close, even if online drops to 10 people. Then I agree to play it and invest time. But they don't care about people, only their revenue from the server, stable or falls

Sairek Ceareste

Quote from: OldPoring on May 10, 2022, 08:51 AM
For me there are no big problems with the p2w, cash shop or bots on official servers because I mostly play solo now. And I play only PvE. I'm not really competing with other players, so don't care that there are god geared  players around. I want a good economy on the server of course.

For me the main problem of the official servers is that they simply disappear even before the private servers. In my country, the official server existed for 10 years, then closed. Now we have opened a new official one, but without transferring the old characters. And they can close it at any moment again.

If they guaranteed by the very fact that this is a super puper Gravity corporation and their servers will never close, even if online drops to 10 people. Then I agree to play it and invest time. But they don't care about people, only their revenue from the server, stable or falls

The problem is that they have incentive to close servers after the short term -- or basically using their mobile strategy.

New server opens, players join, buy lots of stuff from the cash shop, then by a year, nobody's really buying anything anymore, they close up shop and re-open again, causing people to once again have to rebuy stuff.

It's basically the "pump and dump" strategy some nefarious private servers use.

rubie123

It's funny to see all these servers closing while the only server being sued by Gravity is still up and running fine.  /swt
--------------------------------
RMS NEEDS A MAKEOVER!

jacobo_bobo

If they are already sued, taking the server down could be seen as an admission of guilt or wrongdoing and would seen as a negative action in court.. so I understand why they haven't closed.

Other servers may have closed in order to reduce the chances of gravity still pursuing them with a lawsuit, which also makes sense for both gravity and private servers.