GM Idea & Feedback

Started by D1gITaLMaYhEm, Mar 18, 2012, 04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D1gITaLMaYhEm

Alright so long story short our staff team at SalukeRO are trying to figure out a way that we can reward GM's for there work whilst makeing players A:Not feel cheated B:Join the GM team for the wrong reasons (to earn a "Gm Reward") my inital idea that was that there could be a donation salary ie Staff member 1,2,3,4 Take an X percentage of donateions(Depending on Status/Productivity),and or the eqivelant in donateion credits but we figured there might be some issues with this,regaurding GM jelously ect. anyone have a few ideas regaurding this?? ifso please add your input (:

Kaiya

From what it sounds like, does that mean staff members will be allowed legit accounts? If so... Then I honestly don't think rewarding them with donation credits or any tangible item in game will result into anything good, especially for the two reasons you stated. Being on staff in the first place, means one should be aware that they're doing it for a game and its players, out of the goodness of their heart and time.

However, I do understand you trying to find a way to let then know their effort is appreciated, since GMs have to go through crap constantly, without any appreciation. Perhaps allow them to have a piece of equipment signed with their name, or let them have something that's scripted only for them? For example, you can create a simple (or hard, that's up to you) quest themed after then, and the headgear or whatever equip from the quest will have a special description like "A crown fitting for our one and only _______. +100% to cuteness." maybe? It should only be done after you know the GM will be around for a while and they won't cause any problems.

I don't know, just throwing ideas out there. I think it'd be sort of fun and witty, excuse the poor idea if you don't like it, I'm not entirely coherent right now as my mind is still tired from waking up early in the morning. Good luck. :D

Myteriouss

Allowing them to play the server with a GM account + a legit account is more than enough rewarding for staff. 90% of Servers nowadays don't allow GMs to have legits because of corruption, like omigawds.

Mewi

Don't reward them at all.   GMing ( on a private server ) isn't about getting something in return, it is about helping others,  hard work and dealing with a lot of nonsense.

If you want to pay them later on with real money, then that is another thing entirely.

mikro3232

back in 2008 i was working for MicRO 60$ per month and Lumina 15-20$ monthly (micro was around 1 years of getting paid)

Yatagarasu

I do not think you should reward your GMs with anything related to donations.  Like the others said, it can lead to the wrong type of motives to wanting to join the GM team on your server, especially if they are playing your server with a  legit account.  If a player wants to be a GM on your server, they shouldn't have anything in mind, but to help the server grow, make it more fun, and help the players who need help.
You can do what Kaiya is saying though, reward them with something special?

Silverbaine

well... imo too many Server Owners have the wrong idea in hiring Staff, like seriously too many event GMs with next to no talent, If you want to hire GMs, make sure they can actually contribute. e. coding, spriting, mapping, scripting. or if you wish to take the time to train one to do such like scripting or whatever... but as far as rewarding, make some kind of memento ingame, thats it. they don't need things for legits, nor do they need real cash or credits.... but hey If you want useless GMs, think of them as volunteered babysitters lol easily replacable...
Xarale ~ As others have said, I do believe this topic is done now.  Therfore I shall be closing it, because I'm sexy.

Mewi

Quote from: Silverbaine on Mar 28, 2012, 03:27 AM
well... imo too many Server Owners have the wrong idea in hiring Staff, like seriously too many event GMs with next to no talent, If you want to hire GMs, make sure they can actually contribute. e. coding, spriting, mapping, scripting. or if you wish to take the time to train one to do such like scripting or whatever... but as far as rewarding, make some kind of memento ingame, thats it. they don't need things for legits, nor do they need real cash or credits.... but hey If you want useless GMs, think of them as volunteered babysitters lol easily replacable...

Devs make the WORST GMS EVER, why should they be in a PR position just because they can script?  That is not logical by a long shot,  that is like putting an anti social script kiddy in charge of making sure everyones psychological welfare is intact, having them deal with the drama.... then they don't script, they deal with drama, they stress out because of overload, they rage or leave or both.

Devving and Gming are two entirely different things,  the problem is... people try to combine then.  Hence so much GM drama.   Keep GMing and Dev staff separate and your server will be easier to manage.

ragnazorg

Devving and Gming are two entirely different things,  the problem is... people try to combine then.  Hence so much GM drama.   Keep GMing and Dev staff separate and your server will be easier to manage.

I totally agree on this. You should have a separate team for development and player support.

wireless

Quote from: Mewi on Apr 01, 2012, 08:50 AM
Devs make the WORST GMS EVER, why should they be in a PR position just because they can script?  That is not logical by a long shot,  that is like putting an anti social script kiddy in charge of making sure everyones psychological welfare is intact, having them deal with the drama.... then they don't script, they deal with drama, they stress out because of overload, they rage or leave or both.

Yes, but it's still true what he said though. There's so many servers with too many GMs, most of whom are event GMs or "support", except they only sit in town looking cute in their GM dresses and socializing and when you need help, they give wrong information or tell you to go post in forums. Having support and event GMs separate from developers is good, but you don't need twenty of them, and should make sure they actually know something about the game and want to help, not just want to be GM for attention and power.

I also think GMs should only be seen when they are needed. Having a group of GM characters sitting in town surrounded by their fanclub kinda just screams drama and corruption to me  :-X

Chemical Crush

Quote from: wireless on Apr 01, 2012, 11:31 AM
kinda just screams drama and corruption to me  :-X

How the freak is talking to people corruption.  I seriously don't think half the people on RMS know what this word means.

Jasc

If you have GM's motivated and working for the sole purpose of a reward, you are doing the wrong approach.

Being a GM is volunteer work, its not a kind or easy job to do as well. They do it for the better of the server and contribute their efforts to maintain and keep a server active.

wireless

Quote from: Chemical Crush on Apr 01, 2012, 01:52 PM
How the freak is talking to people corruption.  I seriously don't think half the people on RMS know what this word means.

Never said talking to people is corruption  /swt  but in my experience the kind of GM who do that all day tend to be corrupt or favor certain people when making decisions, and their servers full of drama and because of those experiences it's kind of a turn off to see that. And no, I'm not the only person in the world who thinks that.

Jasc

Quote from: wireless on Apr 01, 2012, 02:47 PM
Never said talking to people is corruption  /swt  but in my experience the kind of GM who do that all day tend to be corrupt or favor certain people when making decisions, and their servers full of drama and because of those experiences it's kind of a turn off to see that. And no, I'm not the only person in the world who thinks that.

Look at your previous post, the context of your sentence and the way you worded it makes it seem like your subject of "Talking in town" and "being seen" is grounds for "screaming for drama and corruption".

Chemical Crush is not wrong because thats what your post suggests, but you can't jump to conclusion of one persons post that half of RMS doesn't know what corruption is. Again, not an accurate representation to judge a population on one post.

wireless

I don't know what's up with some peoples' reading comprehension (ok yes I do... americans. If you want to flame me for that, do it in PM please), but that's not what it says.  What it says is that to me, because of what I've seen in previous servers, a GM spending their online time just sitting in town and chatting with friends and groupies is an almost certain sign that they are corrupted (or drama whores at the very least), not that chatting itself is corruption.

Anyway, that wasn't even the point of the post, just kind of a sidenote I felt like adding. Point was that I was agreeing with the guy who said that hiring bunch of useless GMs doesn't make the server any better.