Discuss Mid Rate RO

Started by timothyrandy, Apr 16, 2015, 05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

NovaRagnarok

Mid rates give you the chance to play through the content and experience the different areas properly, without needing to spend hours grinding for a single level.
Some people just don't have the time to level up on a low rate, some people just flat out don't enjoy the monotony of it. But I feel like HRs breeze through the content much too quickly.
I don't remember ever staying on a HR for more than a week because of it.
And despite the fact that you may be able to max out in a day or two, there's still the gear grind, which in theory never ends.

Neffletics

Quote from: eKoh on Apr 23, 2015, 12:17 PM
The same reason that they don't want to spend a lot of time grinding/lvling to start playing Pvp/BGs/Woe. And for being competitive in Pvp, you'll need good equipment, so you need to grind.
True story. It's like they want a close to official gameplay but they don't want to spend time hunting and grinding. Freaking nubs
solacero rip

eKoh

Quote from: Neffletics on Apr 23, 2015, 08:33 PM
True story. It's like they want a close to official gameplay but they don't want to spend time hunting and grinding. Freaking nubs

hahaha, well, as university student, I don't have the same free time to play ragnarok that I use to do, and MidRates were a good alternative to still playing ragnarok, at least for the pvp/woe stuff, maybe some Mvps but not much, because the huge competition it could have.
We are a Pre-Renewal Midrate. Looking for the most
competitive
scene in Pvp, Mvp, and Hunting!


Grand Opening this July 15th!
Visit Aria-RO.com

Neffletics

Quote from: eKoh on Apr 24, 2015, 01:40 AM
hahaha, well, as university student, I don't have the same free time to play ragnarok that I use to do, and MidRates were a good alternative to still playing ragnarok, at least for the pvp/woe stuff, maybe some Mvps but not much, because the huge competition it could have.

Well, most of us are busy people now and I understand your reason. I don't see the difference between Mid Rate and High Rate, a high rate server is a pvp/woe server on its first day while mid rate server is a role-playing server during its first few weeks and eventually turn to a pvp/woe server after few weeks 'til it dies.
solacero rip

Playtester

Quote from: NovaRagnarok on Apr 23, 2015, 01:34 PMMid rates give you the chance to play through the content and experience the different areas properly, without needing to spend hours grinding for a single level.
Some people just don't have the time to level up on a low rate, some people just flat out don't enjoy the monotony of it.
But even at say 10x rates, there isn't really that kind of monotony if you don't make that monotony yourself. There are like 600 maps in RO that contain monster. If you only explore every single map and kill all the monsters that pass you by while doing so, you are basically at an endgame level. That's the way I play so I don't get bored. If players always just kill Geos from level 30 to 99, then it's their own fault really.

Can you really "experience the different areas properly" on a midrate? I think you will level up so quickly that you can experience NONE of the early game dungeons and easy field maps properly, because just a few minutes of grinding already makes said map too easy. For endgame dungeons it might be nice, though. I can see that, as some of them really expect you to have god items and MVP cards simply because they were created when official servers were full of those items already.

Hyperactive

I can't imagine people playing mid-rate servers with the intention of experiencing content, since as mentioned, you end up leveling too fast to spend any time anywhere except the very late-game areas. I guess it also depends on what episode the server is on and if it's pre-renewal or not. The questing can be a pain but most areas are very do-able on a low-rate server without having extreme gears.

The most annoying issue with mid-rates for me is that minor differences become massive differences on mid-rate servers. Monsters on officials may differ by only 1k EXP which means I probably wouldn't mind leveling at either of them. But at 50x rates that difference is now 50,000 EXP meaning one monster is clearly much better than the other. Then there's the issue of zeny farming. Monsters that have 100% drop rates at 5x rates like sleeper or hill wind are basically capped out while monsters like mavka and incubus become extremely rewarding the higher the drop rates. This usually calls for some sort of custom balance by the staff to make sure zeny isn't too easy to get.

Mid-rate servers offer the illusion of spending less time to get where you want to be when in reality you probably spend just as much time playing on a mid-rate as you do a low-rate. Sure you can get your wool/tidal set super fast on a mid-rate but that's not what it takes to be competitive anymore. You're going to be needing shadow garb and other harder to get items. Same amount of play time and grinding, just on a different spectrum.

Neffletics

Quote from: Playtester on Apr 24, 2015, 03:48 AM
But even at say 10x rates, there isn't really that kind of monotony if you don't make that monotony yourself. There are like 600 maps in RO that contain monster. If you only explore every single map and kill all the monsters that pass you by while doing so, you are basically at an endgame level. That's the way I play so I don't get bored. If players always just kill Geos from level 30 to 99, then it's their own fault really.

Can you really "experience the different areas properly" on a midrate? I think you will level up so quickly that you can experience NONE of the early game dungeons and easy field maps properly, because just a few minutes of grinding already makes said map too easy. For endgame dungeons it might be nice, though. I can see that, as some of them really expect you to have god items and MVP cards simply because they were created when official servers were full of those items already.

True. All the players go for Anubis/High Orc and don't give a f*** about the other maps.
solacero rip

NovaRagnarok

Quote from: Neffletics on Apr 24, 2015, 04:41 AM
True. All the players go for Anubis/High Orc and don't give a f*** about the other maps.

In the words of The Dude,
"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

Triper

Quote from: Playtester on Apr 23, 2015, 02:45 AM
But mid rates... why?
I don't play RO nowadays because of life and getting tired of only seeing the same old server everywhere with different names so I jumped to different games but when I used to, like a bunch of years ago, I usually played with friends on servers where BG was open since day #1, br servers are amazing for this, for one reason - it's fun to play with different classes everywhere at BG where everybody is useful to have.

Being able to stun the HW with a whitesmith using hammerfall to let the sin break the crystal at flavius, for example, was lovely and fun to play.

That was my main reason for playing some for a couple of months until I got bored of the same everyday </3

Duckshooter

Quote from: Playtester on Apr 23, 2015, 02:45 AM
If we are talking about mid rate servers in general:

I just don't get mid-rate servers. Why would you want leveling to be really easy so it's no challenge to level up, but at the same time let the players waste a week to be able to participate in end-game content?

I understand low rate servers, because your character slowly grows with you. At around 5x-10x rate your character growth about as fast as you can see all the content in RO. Early levels are already passing by too fast even on these rates, though, but at level 80+ lower than 5x can be really tedious. At endgame it's a big challenge to collect items for PVP every week.

And I understand instant max level / all items free servers. People already know all the content, only thing they want is challenging PVP. No reason to make them level up and hunt items. Just let them do what they really want.

But mid rates... why?

I am usually an oldschool low rate guy but I found myself enjoying mid rate servers too (only for a few weeks each tho and rates are 25x-50x if i remember correctly). I fooled arround in PvM, had funny builds without investing alot of time in it and a few years ago i even had fun PvP on midrates.

I think mid rates are not for serious gameplay, more a fun time to wait for the next promising low rate server to open.

Last time I checked some mid rates and tried to PvP/BG it was totally boring. You earned white/blue pots, poison bottles, AD bottles etc. from BG and everybody used them in PvP which turned into a EDP sinX, asura champ, AD spam-fest and nobody had to work for it.

I guess people feel better when they have to work a little for they instantcast asura champ instead of getting everything for free at super-high rate servers.

Godfather

Quote from: Neffletics on Apr 24, 2015, 04:41 AM
True. All the players go for Anubis/High Orc and don't give a f*** about the other maps.

That would depend on how the server is built. Yes, I do run a mid-rate server, but, I also have a high rate along with a  low rate server as well.

From a devs perspective, the mid-rate was the most challenging to build for me (my own opinion). But if you add enough "end-game" content and drag the story and excitement along, mid-rates tend to be interesting as well.

We followed the iRO style leveling, and adjusted the mob exp rates along with HP boosts to make it more interesting. I too was hesitant to run a mid-rate server at first but it seems like the players we have, like it.

but my personal preference, as a player, would be low rates....

timothyrandy

#26
Thanks for all the comments!

I've played -- removed, let's not jump into the already warned space, let's just called it "a lot of servers"--

In my opinion, the thing about mid rate is like for Char development; learning new jobs - MVP - PVP - WOE
Why do I love Midrate?
It is because:

Mid rate is unlike Low rate where the hunt is just... ridiculous (for me)
Mid rate is unlike High rate where I think all you do is just for PVP and imba items and everything (I agree with all of you guys above)
So mid rate is like the somewhere between low and high rate where we can MVP or Quest or PVP or WOE or just have fun without too hard / too easy.
What is challenging is that a lot of Mid Rate servers did not get the balance between them..
It is like in math where you find the perfect "Median" between numbers.
I can't clearly explain but I am very comfortable in Mids. Not High, not Low
In short, for me, Mid means Balance.

DroppedPJK

I see some people have explained what mid rates are all about already.

The core reasons that mid rates exists is to experience the original content at a very casual modern MMO pace. (Think the newer MMORPGs that cater to casuals.)

They all want to spend some time grinding and more time farming/gearing their character.  (The most important part being that leveling is much faster but the item farming is only slightly faster).

RO's item grind at low rate is pretty abysmal for most gamers and hence why they flock to higher drop rates. The majority do not like RNG, especially abysmal RNG.

I actually like low/mid rates as long as they have the population and the original RO experience. When they start inventing custom items and introducing new ways to get items I feel like they've gone to the s***.

Nekoruchii

The poster above me mentioned everything why I like mid rates.

Quote from: DroppedPJK on May 29, 2015, 01:44 AM
I see some people have explained what mid rates are all about already.

The core reasons that mid rates exists is to experience the original content at a very casual modern MMO pace. (Think the newer MMORPGs that cater to casuals.)

They all want to spend some time grinding and more time farming/gearing their character.  (The most important part being that leveling is much faster but the item farming is only slightly faster).

RO's item grind at low rate is pretty abysmal for most gamers and hence why they flock to higher drop rates. The majority do not like RNG, especially abysmal RNG.

I actually like low/mid rates as long as they have the population and the original RO experience. When they start inventing custom items and introducing new ways to get items I feel like they've gone to the s***.

Good mid rates are very rare to find nowadays. I used to be a avid mid rate fan for pre-renewal but I think I'd prefer mid rates for renewal. I'm still hoping that there is a decent mid rate out there (sadly, it does not exist in my view anymore.)

I originally play mid rates depending on the server type. If I'm going to play in a pre-renewal server, mid rates are considered as a casual play for me, at least something to do whenever I'm bored or I have a free time while in renewal, I consider mid rates as a standard choice for me, since getting to max level doesn't take a day unless you play in 100x-150x tier (which is still mid rates), which is possible in a way to max within a day.

Ever since I've noticed that mid rate trend few years ago, I kinda lost hope in looking for a decent mid rate that does not have the same pattern. (When I meant by pattern, opens a server > server dies or closes > after few months, same staff changed name and reopened a new server with a different name and close again), which is tiring and you know.

Right now, my preferences for server picking is 75% low rate and 25% mid rate, unless a decent mid rate pops up again (like when?!).


SharpLeaf

mid rate is the best to play