GGRO's population?

Started by DroppedPJK, Feb 25, 2015, 06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NarueMoon

Quote from: OnlyRO on Mar 01, 2015, 12:47 PM
I haven't played on a p-server with a big population like ggRO, hence I don't know how the community behaves, but I can say for sure that small communities are often more heart warming than bigger ones.

I don't play RO for a hugbox simulator, I play for competition and for immersion. Both require high population and RO is infinitely better with population above 1000, and completely pointless with one with less than 500. I have no idea how "heart warming" is even a factor here unless you play to circlejerk all day.

Batteries Not Included

>"I play for competition and for immersion"
>plays RO

top banter m8

Rider

Quote from: NarueMoon on Mar 05, 2015, 10:54 AM
I don't play RO for a hugbox simulator, I play for competition and for immersion. Both require high population and RO is infinitely better with population above 1000, and completely pointless with one with less than 500. I have no idea how "heart warming" is even a factor here unless you play to circlejerk all day.

I will have to disagree and point out that the entire statement is just opinionated. Competition is one of the fundamental aspects of RO but you can't throw a number like 1000 and say that only then you will find decent competition. Lets not forget that there isn't a decent international RO server with 1k legit players so I'm assuming you're including an approximate 50% autotraders. Community and socializing is also another aspect of RO and just because you're ignorant doesn't make it invalid.

Quote from: DroppedPJK on Mar 04, 2015, 02:49 PM
How would you go about finding these other servers? Preferably low rates because I don't do customized high rates anymore. It's extremely hard to find accurate population info without downloading the server itself.
I'd like to add that there are several servers that run just for the love of the game and don't accept donations at all. There are servers that also follow the close to official and progressive patching of episodes with optimized features as well. I don't want to mention names since it might be advertising or sorts but people often think that there aren't many servers with similar features.

NarueMoon

Quote from: Rider on Mar 05, 2015, 03:47 PM
I will have to disagree and point out that the entire statement is just opinionated.

Just like yours.

Quote from: Rider on Mar 05, 2015, 03:47 PMCompetition is one of the fundamental aspects of RO but you can't throw a number like 1000 and say that only then you will find decent competition. Lets not forget that there isn't a decent international RO server with 1k legit players so I'm assuming you're including an approximate 50% autotraders.

And what's your point? That's the same way for any number of population. I'm refering to 1000 onlines counting merchants and multiclients just like your were refering to low population servers in the same way, since your didn't state otherwise.

Quote from: Rider on Mar 05, 2015, 03:47 PMCommunity and socializing is also another aspect of RO and just because you're ignorant doesn't make it invalid.

Yes and I have more opportunities at doing those in high population servers.
Why are smaller populations more "heart warming"? There's no reasoning behind this besides the fact that it's easier for everyone to know everyone else, but that doesn't mean that they are better persons or anything. You are just assuming things.

Quote from: Rider on Mar 05, 2015, 03:47 PMjust because you're ignorant
lmao

ggwp

Reading ggRO forums are way more entertaining than playing it.

- corrupt (and dumb) GM trying to abuse his command for his legit account benefit are not getting demoted /revoked from gm position.
- dumb guild member posting his woe video using unauthorized 3pp on forum (not only 1 , but at least 2 player on 2 guild competing each other)
- ban appeals can be made via the ticketing system , to use the ticket system you have to login your account and you cant login on banned account.
- guild griefing each other for mvp because rules are too vague and not clear leading a lot different interperation of the rules.
- gm and player helper can take @request of a problem involving guild where their legit account are.

inb4 this is the secret of building server with high population.

Rider

Quote from: NarueMoon on Mar 05, 2015, 05:51 PM
Just like yours.

And what's your point? That's the same way for any number of population. I'm refering to 1000 onlines counting merchants and multiclients just like your were refering to low population servers in the same way, since your didn't state otherwise.

Yes and I have more opportunities at doing those in high population servers.
Why are smaller populations more "heart warming"? There's no reasoning behind this besides the fact that it's easier for everyone to know everyone else, but that doesn't mean that they are better persons or anything. You are just assuming things.
lmao
Not every statement needs to prove a point or be an argument. Your were being unreasonable and aggressive in your first response to someone and made it sound like his statement was invalid. You obviously think that only high populated servers can be fun and that's fine but don't go rubbing it on others just because you feel that way. Low populated servers can be fun and might have a better community.

NarueMoon

Quote from: Rider on Mar 06, 2015, 09:22 AM
Not every statement needs to prove a point or be an argument. Your were being unreasonable and aggressive in your first response to someone and made it sound like his statement was invalid. You obviously think that only high populated servers can be fun and that's fine but don't go rubbing it on others just because you feel that way. Low populated servers can be fun and might have a better community.

Aggressive? How was I aggressive? Debating an opinion is now being aggressive? I guess you people really want a hugbox rather than a forum.

>"Someone who truly cares about their server and enforces all the rules are bound to suffer from population because they give more priority to doing what's right and doesn't let something like the player count affect their decision."

You are basically defending low population servers by saying that they have low player count because "they do what's right".
So you are saying that high population servers don't do the things right?

Rider

Quote from: NarueMoon on Mar 06, 2015, 11:19 AM
You are basically defending low population servers by saying that they have low player count because "they do what's right".
So you are saying that high population servers don't do the things right?
Apparently that seems the case here :v
Quote from: ggwp on Mar 06, 2015, 02:09 AM
- corrupt (and dumb) GM trying to abuse his command for his legit account benefit are not getting demoted /revoked from gm position.
- dumb guild member posting his woe video using unauthorized 3pp on forum (not only 1 , but at least 2 player on 2 guild competing each other)
- ban appeals can be made via the ticketing system , to use the ticket system you have to login your account and you cant login on banned account.
- guild griefing each other for mvp because rules are too vague and not clear leading a lot different interperation of the rules.
- gm and player helper can take @request of a problem involving guild where their legit account are.

inb4 this is the secret of building server with high population.

I was speaking in general but if you're going to pull something out of context and then find a reason to argue based on that then you don't deserve a proper answer. I don't have a low population to defend, I don't know why you had to assume that when I was merely stating factors that also affect population. I still stand by what I said and I can see that you're on to something here, keep trying mister.

Playtester

I actually find it pretty easy to tell the population of most servers, because they just show it on their main homepage. Only in very rare cases you have to download the server software to check the population. If it's not on the main page, you can often also find it on the CP.

Sinistrum

Quote from: Playtester on Mar 09, 2015, 05:02 AM
I actually find it pretty easy to tell the population of most servers, because they just show it on their main homepage. Only in very rare cases you have to download the server software to check the population. If it's not on the main page, you can often also find it on the CP.

Cant Exclude Merchants like that, (website).

ggwp

Appereantly they can cheat the online player number in CP

http://forums.play-ggro.com/index.php?/topic/3346-why-does-the-3-client-limit-exist/page-1#entry45180

Rider

TBH most servers I've seen also include autotraders on their online player count in the website because it show that they have numbers. Very few like to show that over 50% of those numbers are vendors.

Playtester

Only very few servers actually "cheat" the player count up, but yes autovendors are included in 98% of all cases, but that doesn't chance the fact that you can still run a comparison on numbers. A server with 300 players online displayed is more likely to have more real players than a server with 100 players online displayed, even if that just means the former has 120 real players and the latter has 40 real players.

Yuzo

tbh I wish more servers enabled the @who4 command for everybody. Allows you to players online minus vendors.

Cawliflower

Quote from: Playtester on Mar 11, 2015, 04:00 AM
Only very few servers actually "cheat" the player count up, but yes autovendors are included in 98% of all cases, but that doesn't chance the fact that you can still run a comparison on numbers. A server with 300 players online displayed is more likely to have more real players than a server with 100 players online displayed, even if that just means the former has 120 real players and the latter has 40 real players.
It's actually rarely 50% especially even on my current server (autotrader percentage - I'd say minimum 25-30% and maximum 40%). 99.9% of statistics are made up, on-the-spot, anyway.  /heh

Anyway, I actually like your post playtester. You're basically the only RMS member with basic level understanding of population and merchant counts. Even a server with a ton of autotraders online sitting at 2k players, is still larger than a server with 1k players online considering both have autotrade.

Why nobody can grasp that concept is beyond me... but, this is RO after all.
Quoteyesterday im ask gm crewkie hitler for pls ad balance costum like angel wing or 4slot narutaro BUT HE SAY NO.. um sry i thot this was ranganarok and not a nazis???????

DivinityRO 6.9 coming soon!