EnchantedRO and other anomalies

Started by Anti-Static Foam Cleaner, Apr 01, 2008, 03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anti-Static Foam Cleaner

I just got an email from EnchantedRO inviting me to join their server.

I was quite puzzled as to where EnchantedRO could get my e-mail from, but they say it themselves in the beginning:
QuoteYou are being emailed as you selected to receive emails from a Ragnarok Fan Site which you have subscribed to.

Which is very odd.
First of all, the only RO fansites I know are RMS(I don't have an RMS account) and RO Empire(Which doesn't even have an account). There's RO section at iichan and Doddler's ROchan, but obviously these don't have accounts, either, I only visit them when my boredom level goes from 'goddamn' to 'for f***'s sake' anyway.
Then there are boards: RMS, ROE and eAthena, plus the dozen or more server boards I register on when server hopping. But boards are not fansites.

There's also my mysterious agreement to receive emails from myserious someone which apparently includes third-party advertisements. I must say I'm not thrilled about it. In fact, I'm quite displeased about it. I'm certain I didn't check any "Receive emails about upcoming RO servers" boxes anywhere. I think I'd remember that, or rather, remember to avoid them whenever I can. The only box I ever check is the "Receive emails from administrators" one. But surely no administrator would ever break my trust in him and give out my email address to some third party. That would be on a wholly different level than giving your best buddy valk set or copying other server's site layouts. In fact, I think I could even raise legal doubts about it.

But I guess I'll never know.

P.S. Quite hilariously, when I actually followed their link to see if it was anything interesting(It's not), all three servers were offline.

Ashe

The servers not up yet, Beta starts Friday.  /ok

As to how they emailed you I don't know. =s
edited

yC

"You are being emailed as you selected to receive emails from a Ragnarok Fan Site which you have subscribed to."

Of course if they got your email from a hacked server's database or any other unlawful means, they won't tell you that exactly.  By saying "you selected" and "from a Ragnarok Fan Site" they keep you wondering and let you think it's your fault not theirs. 

First the "you selected", of course that works because the fact that they got your email means you used this email to signup to services and probably multiple services.  So they assume that one of those services sent it to you, not a surprise.  Also by saying that they can try to create the "friendly" and "welcoming" atmosphere so that you read on what's in the content instead of an in your face rude spam delete delete delete.

Second, "from a Ragnarok Fan Site".  If they are really sending it on behalf of a "Ragnarok Fan Site" why can't they link it in the email to get you to the so called "Ragnarok Fan Site".  In this case, it's unknown, it's not linked because it is NOT "from a Ragnarok Fan Site" obviously.  You ever read REAL newsletter that don't even mention where was it sent from?  This is just silly and it's a lie.

You know how many server come and go, got hacked or how many servers have their database copied by admin/gm before leaving their position?  It's not hard to tell how the list of emails got out of hands but it's hard to tell which one (or more) server betrayed you exactly. 

So I always use my spam mail for server registration :D

Anti-Static Foam Cleaner

Well I don't care to be honest, spam is only thing which keeps my email going. Even if I knew where they got it from what'd I do? Legal action? That was a joke...

But this is still faggotry.

Genesis

You signed up to a previous website which I own and you had a tick to receive emails from the website. So voila. You received an email from us. Welcome to the Internet. :P