eAMod/rAMod Violates eA/rA licenses

Started by yC, Jun 17, 2012, 02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yC

Guess I'll shares this.  Just saw it on rA last night and topic was locked so no more opinion can be expressed.

>> http://rathena.org/board/topic/64239-gnugpl-violations-in-eamodramod/

For the tl dr;  I think I'll quote Olrox and Ind for what is going on and why rA is angry.

Quote from: Olrox

I will list what should have done immediately. Contrary, we will fall again, with no motivated devs in this new project, and repeating the mistakes of the past:

- Zeph can't offer his modifications bundled with rAthena. I think all of us got that point very clearly.... this is really too much profit of years of other ones work.

- By selling only the DIFFS, that doesnt means that he has the rights to change the license. Sorry but that is not possible, for the simple fact that his work depends/is possible/exists/ thanks by an open GPL software. What does that means?

Whoever purchase his code, has the rights to redistribute what he have purchased. For free, or reselling it.
        Anyone here can take your ideas and do his own diffs, and include it on the emu for free. Why not? your work depends of a GPL software that it was possible only at this time by improving the ideas of a ton of people that contributed before.
        You can continue selling your code. But keeping those terms under the line.

I'm really sorry, but even if he don't want, he has to accept those terms. Otherwise... what GPL free software would exist now? any.

Contrary, even if he doesnt do anything to solve this, anyone has the -legal rights- to take his ideas or even his code if he has purchased it before, and release/adapt it to the current main project that any *Athena derivation is.as Ind said. This is the way how GPL protect the open source software as rAthena is

To all the people: I'm sure that the administrators are not against Zephyrus. They only care the future of the current rAthena emulator as a free to access source. Personally I care and I support this.

Quote from: Ind

the legal s*** aside -- Zephyrus is crushing our developers motivation, hes making a lot of money over what everyone over here does for free.

ohmy it has his modifications blablabla, what he is doing is incredibly unethical, should he continue we'll be left with no developers, no new updates and even zephyrus will end up with nobody to steal code from. we're the ones spending time fixing annoying bugs, adding stupidly designed gravity features and hes the one who just makes money by with copy+paste from RATHENA DEVELOPERS CODE. but I'm not gonna let it get there. I've spent far too much time to let this thief destroy it.

I'm providing Zephyrus with 2 choices: he stops selling it bundled with the emu and start selling his diffs OR: I will code his so-special features into rathena and he'll be left with nothing special to sell.

^ So basically I see they are not happy with an upcoming rAmod that will be profiting from the community's work done on this free open-source project.  The outcome is foreseeable as what happened to eA is in front of us.  People all about making money from the project's side businesses, people not sharing code are discouraging the actual developers that works days, nights, months on the project for free (poor skotlex ... L0newolf ... etc).

Now the funny thing is, under the correct licensing terms buyer of eA/rAmod should be free to re-distribute their purchase of the eA/rAmod because it is built based on eA/rA under the GNU/GPL license.  The eA/rAmod (modifications) will not work as a functional server engine without the code of the eA/rA project.

Hmm, so any thoughts?  It's a pity that this kind of thing can happen ... I mean for eA/rA.

Is this going to stop you from making a purchase on the said software?  Knowing the profit will not go to the majority of the actual developers (or the "original" project) and supporting the said software will eventually lead to the death of the original project.

Actually, sub [eA/rA] with [Gravity] and eA/rAmod with [Private Servers] then we get the exact same thing that applies.  Never mind that.

Or let's just ask who is already planning to re-distributing it lol.

Smoke

This I could see coming from a mile away when I saw his post-rA merge files. s*** has hit the fan for eA/rAmod.

Triper

Wait wait wait.

So this mean that, when there was that Brazilian guy that shared his files that were bought because of some anger against Zephyrus[dunno the reason, doesn't matter in this case] around the web he was doing something legal and all the guys that bashed him were wrong?

This changes a lot of things :o
==edit==
Just saw this:
Quoteyou can't put up a public notice stating that you'll DDoS Servers that are using your modifications "illegally".
lol srs, he does that?

kopono

Quote from: Triper on Jun 17, 2012, 05:39 PM
==edit==
Just saw this:lol srs, he does that?

Yes, he does; he claims he has an array of "tools" that he will use if anyone is caught using an unauthorized copy.

Reliable . Powerful . Simple

Add me on Skype, 'Kopono'. Add me on MSN, '[email protected]'.

Tom~

Quote from: kopono on Jun 17, 2012, 08:47 PM
Yes, he does; he claims he has an array of "tools" that he will use if anyone is caught using an unauthorized copy.

And that's against the GNU/GPL license. He has absolutely no right to do such a thing.

I really hope the devs don't get too discouraged from this guy's actions, or that they manage to do something against him. Else rAthena is going to go downhill in the same way eAthena did.

And so you killed yourself,
but you killed everyone else around you too.

Triper

If he really does that, that's like having a knife ready to stab you all the time and that's lame. This isn't just just something borderline, this is threatening someone and that's over the top being or not a business even if people don't have other choice most of the time then to accept the contract because this attracts instantly people to a server tons of times ...

Eurydice

From Zephyrus' eAmod site
Why is it if someone buying, Zeph will reply on it as soon as possible xD LOL!

He did make rAmod work, but with tons of warnings in the console. And tons of his customers are complaining about it. And a lot of missing stuff that's in eAmod. But alas, he hasn't done anything about it, yet.

What annoyed me is how he plastered his name on the source files, in all of them, in every single one of them, whether he edited it or not. Hence taking the credits from whoever made those things, and saying that this file is not public and is not free. And he'll DDOS your server, and put you to a HALL OF SHAME in their forums where they report and list people with "illegal" copies of eAmod. And it's $150 dollars, lifetime license with free updates and support! But it takes ages though.

I believe the rAthena team already discussed this in private with Zephyrus. They are not against Zephyrus and his epic (quite messy) coding skills from what I read. But don't make a license.txt with the GNU/GPL license link on it if you can barely understand what that is, and you're not going to follow it anyway. As you can see, he's stubborn as a mule. But hey if feeding your family is important, I guess you do what you have to do.

Skotlex

Hmm.... first time I hear about this mod. Looks like I should have kept up more updated with the news.

So what exactly this mod adds that makes people want to pay for it?

This is all so incredibly dirty, but I doubt anything legal will be done, considering how an emulator is already as gray as things can get. So either people will respect each other, or some sort of war will be waged that ensures nobody can win...

(RMS reviews)

Triper

This is what it adds:
Spoiler

QuoteWhat about features?

Guild and War of Emperium

Expert Ranking.
    Multiple War of Emperium times, with different castles each one and autoblocking the non playable castles. Optional Castle Rotation each Week.
    Ancient WoE, to play with 1st and 2nd class characters only, and equipment and items from Seasson 9 and previous.
    WoE Exclusive Items Supply shop using badges.
    Ranking Reset each Week.
    Guild members limit configuration. Base Members and added by skill level.

Battlegrounds

Capture the Flag with minimap marks about flag positions.
    Eye of the Storm based on World of Warcraft. This combine Domination and Capture the flag systems.
    TeamDeathMatch.
    Tierra Boosnia (Alterac Valley Style). Control the Neutral Base flag to damage the Enemy Team's Guardians (MVPs).
    Stone Control (Multiple Capture the Flag style) Hold the Stone in your base to increase Score points per time, with a total of 6 stones.
    Tierra Tiple Infierno (Triple Team Death-Match)
    Conquest (WoE Second Edition Simulation)
    Rush (WoE First Edition Simulation)
    Tierra Domination.
    Battleground Exclusive Items Supply shop using badges.
    Duel Arena 1 vs 1 with global announces, using the KvM system.
    Free For All Arena. 10 players versus, no teams.
    Expert Battleground Ranking system.
    Ranking Reset each Week.
    Special Aura for Top 10 Battlegrounds Users of the Week (Regular and Ranked Matchs)
    Team Leader system with Guild Skill usage.
    Idle announce and kick options.
    Double login detection (by IP address or *MAC Address). *Requires Harmony.

Battleground User Commands

guildskill : A command usable by Guild/Team Leaders, to use a guild skill without the need of open the Guild window.
    order : Usable only by Guild/Team Leaders, to display a global message with big font size to your members.
    leader : To transfer the Team Leader to another member of the Team.
    reportafk : To kick a idle member of the Team.

Scripts

House for Rent System.
    Mining using the WoW system. Mines spawns in specified maps, and different kinds of mines.
    Endless Tower official script.
    Special High Rate NPC all services.
    Game Rooms with Emperium Breaker, Barricade and Guardian Stone simulations, Memory, Audio Memory and Simon Says games.
    Hunting System. Where you receive a list of mobs to kill each 24 hours.
    Cash Shop system, to inspire donations. Premium account system.
    Game Master scripts tools to edit user variables (quests) and to Shutdown the servers with a timer and global announces.
    Weekly PVP Event, like a MiniWoE, one small map, teams of 3 players Max.
    Extended Enchanting System with battleground badges.
    Creation of @commands attached to NPC Events.

User Tools

New Mounts for almost all classes in game.
    World of Warcraft style channel system, with channel creation and others commands like IRC.
    Player Killer Mode (@pvpmode) to enter a mode where you can kill other pk players. Implemented with a Ranking and a Special Aura identifying PK players and Top 10 PK Players.
    Extra Storage with 200 slots.
    Account Bounded Item creation (using the official system).

Server Security

Item Unique Serials. Each equipment get a unique ID for easy searching on the picklog and identify stole items, dupples.
    Password protected item outputs. Users can set a password to protect their characters and avoid to trade/drop/refine items.
    Client MD5 Hash detection to avoid users editing the .exe to enable/disable options you set on your server client by default.
    Optional Anti Maya-Purple Hack security.

Server Optimization

Includes documentations about how to create optional proxy access to your server.
    Also you can find how to open multiple ports to allow users to choose what port fit their ISP regulations.

Renewal Classes and Mechanics

Implemented with support for 3CeAM.
    Included optional Renewal Mechanics mode (New Damage and Stats formulas).
    Renewal Databases (ASPD, Monsters, Items, Skills).

Extended Control Panel

New Members System, to allow one user to keep all their account together.
    God Seals Quest Status
    World Map with user's position display.
    Rename System and Log.
    Family's on Server.
    Extended Rankings ( WoE, Guild, Castle, Zeny, Homunculus, Mercenary, MVP, Player Killer Mode, Taekwon, PVP Event, Hunting Missions, etc ).
    Donation Reports and Approval.
    SMS Donations
    Item Picklog Searcher and Item Tracker.
[close]

@Skotlex - what people want in this is the Custom BG and that's all.

Strudel

You need to add everything correctly else it won't do all that, so that means using the mod directly and then editing stuff on it. Just using the diff won't be enough, btw the diff only adds bg stuff nothing else, even the supposed guild system that belongs to the bg doesn't work 100% if you just use the diff.
And then there's still the rumours of the hundreds of warnings and errors that it gives off (still compilable though by some wonder)

clydelion

lol. a simple google search led me to a download link of the the said mod.  /heh

Nicosmic

Quote from: Triper on Jun 17, 2012, 05:39 PM
Wait wait wait.

So this mean that, when there was that Brazilian guy that shared his files that were bought because of some anger against Zephyrus[dunno the reason, doesn't matter in this case] around the web he was doing something legal and all the guys that bashed him were wrong?

Yes, he was always in violation of eAmod. This was brought up multiple times and always swept under the rug.

crysiscore3

There is a simple solution to this for rAthena. Step #1: make rAthena into a free and premium version. Difference? Nothing except the free one says it's free. Then, make a big deal about how running a professional server and not buying premium is like "stealing" custom hats or maps.

Next step, rA should license a copy of rAMod and post it publicly. By using a GNU product, he must release source, not doing so is a term violation. If won't respect rA's terms, they shouldn't respect his. People are still free to pay him for his work, but just like rAthena, it's now become something close to a true donation system.

And then the clique of RMS owners can make a pact that anyone who runs an rAthena server without premium will be hissed at and gossiped about, behind their back  /kis
Thinking of making your own RO PServer?
Read this first.

Skotlex

I strongly doubt that anything legal will be done to resolve any issues.

The copyright licenses are there and all that, but who's going to spend the money required to have lawyers and enforce any of these? I tell you who, nobody. This would be one instance where the legal system would only be a black-hole sucking out all the money. rA is unlikely to have any, and this guy must have very little made from the mod.

By the way, is one person in charge of ALL that list of changes? It is quite a lot and it's a bit hard to believe it can be properly maintained by a single person. Either it's a lot of work, or it's all buggy as hell xD;

Anyway, I suspect if things come to shove, it'll be a war. This person will do DDOS attacks or the like on whoever gets his mod "illegally", and rA will probably apply code-changes that make his work a pain to keep in synch with the rA tree.

Though, I sort of doubt rA has the man-power required to change the source for the sake of changing the source. And as for implementing the stuff this mod does? Well, a lot of it can be implemented through scripts already. I wonder if there just wasn't enough motivation to do that before.

Well, that's my two cents.

(RMS reviews)

Tande

Quote from: Skotlex on Jun 20, 2012, 09:30 AM
The copyright licenses are there and all that, but who's going to spend the money required to have lawyers and enforce any of these? I tell you who, nobody. This would be one instance where the legal system would only be a black-hole sucking out all the money. rA is unlikely to have any, and this guy must have very little made from the mod.

If rA needed the money to bone this guy, I'd poney it up (of course, hoping that other people would pitch in too).  Its not ABOUT making money in this situation, its about whats right and whats wrong.  I think the best quote from that thread was:

Quotethe legal s*** aside -- Zephyrus is crushing our developers motivation, hes making a lot of money over what everyone over here does for free. ohmy it has his modifications blablabla, what he is doing is incredibly unethical, should he continue we'll be left with no developers, no new updates and even zephyrus will end up with nobody to steal code from. we're the ones spending time fixing annoying bugs, adding stupidly designed gravity features and hes the one who just makes money by with copy+paste from RATHENA DEVELOPERS CODE. but I'm not gonna let it get there. I've spent far too much time to let this thief destroy it.

Anyway, I suspect if things come to shove, it'll be a war. This person will do DDOS attacks or the like on whoever gets his mod "illegally", and rA will probably apply code-changes that make his work a pain to keep in synch with the rA tree.

He just (slyly) admitted that he'd DDOS/attack people who use this mod without his permission (paying the 5 silver coins).  If I were a server owner and that happened, I'd get the law involved, because it doesn't matter -what- the attack was about, but he would be breaking the law by doing so.

HONESTLY, the way Zeph has acted has made this situation worse than it needs to be.  If he would have taken it gracefully and listened to Jman, it wouldn't have been a long list of people calling him tl;dr: child.  Hell, I am sure none of his customers read the GNU GPL license (thus knowing its distributable) , so he could have gotten along just selling the diffs.  Hell, his customers don't even know how to install his mod (thus creating this problem).  GEE, I WONDER WHAT THAT INFERS...
http://www.agharta.info  Agharta Dev - for your mapping and scripting needs

http://www.project-deimos.com  Project Deimos - an upcoming roleplaying server.