Dramaless thread

Started by Anti-Static Foam Cleaner, Mar 18, 2008, 04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anti-Static Foam Cleaner

This is THE coolest custom I've seen. Ever.

http://xiro.org/worldmap/

that map isn't totally custom....
in game the command to open it is: Ctrl ~

its an offical kRO map but yes xiRO has modified it a lil bit

EDIT: so ya any server thats updated enough will have it =x forgot to mention that XD
oh and heres an example

and u can see that XiRO has done a nice lil job changing it ^^
i think its a really cute idea to use something like that as a who is online function.... only it'd be a lot harder to do that on a highly populated server

Zone

That is out of the sakray data files.

ya but u have to admit they did a nice lil job turning it into the "who is online" function i think its really cute ^^

Zone

It's not that impressive really, it looks useless to be honest, who cares where someone is, you have /w, @who, and the control panel for that stuff, that just gives you the same exact thing as the Control panel, just not as informative.

Waste of coding.

Skotlex

Not that I want to start a flamewar or anything, but Zone, do you really have to sound like a cranky old man bashing around kids for wasting their time on "cute little things" which serve no practical purpose? o_O;

Statistically speaking, having a world map with all players represented as dots would give a quick overview of the server population's distribution... it would serve a very different role than /w, @who and the like...

(RMS reviews)

Zone

Graphically, it is just a chart to see how many people are in a general area, but when you have 600 users, it's useless.
200 people in prontera, anyone could guess that.
Others may be in a general area, yes, but you wouldn't be able to tell how many there are when you have 200 in prontera overlapping eachother or crowding the map.

Using ranges would be vastly innaccurate.

If they want to ratio the population distribution, then they should code something that would actually work well, such as an extra script that takes the users on a map and ranks the map, like the guild system for maps.

yC

i think it's nicely done, cool idea, have to agree that if you have 200 vendors on a map then you would rather need a chart because the heads are going to be a mess with one on top of the other.  But my question is, what about the people that are in dungeons and maps that are not shown in world map?

and why that topic title ...

Leon.H

Quote from: JJJ on Mar 18, 2008, 03:00 PM
ya but u have to admit they did a nice lil job turning it into the "who is online" function i think its really cute ^^
you guys like that? I think it's nice, but i remember many complaining about CP's giving their location...
from what i see it's a simple php script
i could make it give the exact map location X.x
Elegy Ro Project blog http://honoretimes.blogspot.com/

mark_sanbeda

so much for being dramaless... any way the idea is cool but as people say it.. it will be rendered obsolete once it get crowded..

[hmm... oh yeah maybe i can use it to see which town has the least people  :P ]

Zone

The CP shows the map, not the direct location, it is there regardless, even if it did, it is innaccurate due to loading time and user movement. Following someone would only be by map.

Putting in the the control panel makes it alot better if you want a distribution chart, maybe even a pie chart.
But, as for in game, it wouldn't work well simply because at 200 auto venders, that would either imbalance the graph, or crowd it.

Good idea, bad way of coding and displaying it.

Anti-Static Foam Cleaner

Quote from: 録mark登sanbeda数 on Mar 20, 2008, 06:59 AM
so much for being dramaless...

You got that right.

Look people, it's just a nice gimmick and that's what it's supposed to be. I find it fun just to refresh the page over and over looking at these silly little heads move around because I know they're all people; it would probably be even better if I knew any of them. That's all there is to it, really. It's not to track players or provide information about population density or whatnot. It's exists just for the sake of being cool. It doesn't cure the goddamn cancer. Is this so hard to believe?

Jesus.

Kylee

wow that's f*** awesome. nice find.

Aris

tbh that's pretty cool.

Junipero

Frankly, I think it's kind of ugly, hah hah. I'm all up for old school, man. But that's just me.  :o

rosefox305

I think a dev from the eA board made this; it looks very well done the images could be a bit less dark which would add life to it. I wonder if you can add custom maps to it.