Server Owners, how do you deal with this?

Started by behelit, Dec 29, 2020, 09:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

behelit

So, I've got a low population server that is growing slowly... But I occasionally encounter a toxic type of player. They will login to Discord, complain about how you can't heal, buff and change stats with commands... then rage quit when no one replies in 5 minutes. Has RO really come down to this? Where new players expect god like characters handed to them on a silver platter? I feel like I went out of my way to make my server newbie friendly, always reply to Discord messages, etc... There are tutorials, everything is well documented... I'm 100% upfront about what kind of server it is, I hide nothing. Yet, I still get users like this. Any advice?

Masao

a) Ignore them and they leave.
b) Tell them if they don't like it, they can go somewhere else, there's hundreds of other servers waiting for his tantrums.
c) Ban him and laugh (My personal favourit)

There will always be entitled and spoiled players who think it has to be all about how they want to play on the server and that the game should be how they want it, but are too lazy or have not enough knowledge to make their own server.

So I'd say just ignore them, once they learn that they won't get what they want they either leave or accept it and keep on playing, biggest mistake is to give in and change all the stuff they want just so you don't lose that single player or the donations, it's not worth it in the long run imo. .

behelit

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've found that if you try to change a bunch of stuff for those types of players, they just end up leaving anyway. I can understand players wanting to test certain builds quickly... But that has no place on a server balanced for semi-authentic feeling gameplay. Half the fun of RPGs (for me anyway) is watching your character grow, figuring out how to spec your job, finding the best gear, etc. I don't understand the "Veruca Salt" mentality...

Playtester

Always stay true to your server vision. No matter what you do you will never please everyone.

(Of course if you're uncertain about something, can always get player feedback.)

Playtester

Quote from: behelit on Dec 29, 2020, 10:35 AMI can understand players wanting to test certain builds quickly...
You could just offer a test server for this.

Terpsichore

Quote from: behelit on Dec 29, 2020, 09:50 AMHas RO really come down to this?
Sadly yes but there are still people who actually enjoy playing the game and you should cater to those.

Like Playertester said, stay true to your vision. Don't bend over because somebody's complaining really loud.
It may take time to start discerning legit feedback from empty tears.

Blinzer

Quote from: behelit on Dec 29, 2020, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've found that if you try to change a bunch of stuff for those types of players, they just end up leaving anyway. I can understand players wanting to test certain builds quickly... But that has no place on a server balanced for semi-authentic feeling gameplay. Half the fun of RPGs (for me anyway) is watching your character grow, figuring out how to spec your job, finding the best gear, etc. I don't understand the "Veruca Salt" mentality...

everyone is good at talking like they know the game better than you until you drop their a** in pvp

sagui00

vesper

Toxic players can ruin your server in various ways; insulting people or GM, make absurd review about your server, abusing bugs...or even tell people to move the other server he wants.
Don't feel anything about troll.

There's no way you can satisfy everyone visiting your server.
I don't like the server without buffer NPC so I would not play in your server, but this is my taste not yours.

Important thing is that you need to keep your taste;
If you modify the server to the way you don't like, eventually you'll lose interest to your server. It is your world.

violet

just ignore them sir, and one more thing these days a lot of offers directing pm's on you offers a lot of stuffs does those people are legit? offering custom items couple of $.

Nyarlathotep

The best way to deal with annoying toxic people is to ban them. Even if they aren't directly violating any rules, they lower the tone and drive people away through their unpleasentness.

Also, you get to drink their delicious tears when they whine about being banned, so double win!

Neffletics

In our server, SolaceRO. When someone asks in a rude manner, we reply in the same tone (or sarcastically). Some people find it offensive, but the majority understands why we responded that way. (it's giving them the taste of their own medicine)

In most cases, these toxic players are demanding 'professionalism' and 'perfect customer service' from the GM Team but couldn't understand the fact that GMs are humans, too, and the some issues take time to resolve. Lastly, when they don't get what they want, they'll go to RMS to slander your server.

We used to care a lot about our RMS profile until we got tired of responding to one-sided reviews. It's usually after we ban a player for RMT, botting, 3rd party usage, etc.

My advice is just ignore them. Don't worry much about those who left; focus on those who stayed.
solacero rip