DDOS Attacks

Started by PhilO, Aug 24, 2014, 10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TabooRo

Just like the US government, do not make deals with terrorists. Once you give in once they know they got you and they'll continue screwing with you until they are bored of you. Most of these people already lack a social life..  they have a lot of anger and free time to attack you.

The best choice is the ignore the attacker, try not to instigate him further and act professional. But in the end you will still be vulnerable to DDoS attacks so the ultimate solution is to get a good DDoS protected server and take measures to hide your IP from the public.

I will not list the ways to hide the IP or links to affordable/quality DDOS protected hosting companies, as I believe any good admin should solve this issue on their own. (Listing this information here would help future e-terrorists attack the servers they want)

I would suggest everyone else who knows how to DDoS a server ~ do not share it on this topic or mention "how easy" it is to take down a server, as that would also encourage new angry players to find the way to do it.

For the e-terrorists reading this: It costs 1,000$ US dollars per 15 min attack and you need a PhD in Computer Science to figure it out. /heh
Tired of the same old grind from Lvl 1-99? only to find there is no PvP or WoE competition?

Stop wasting time and try -->
http://playdreamerro.com

PhilO

If anyone comes posting ways to DDOS servers here,those posts should be deleted right away ,and he/she should receive a warning.

i imagine that giving these terrorists what they want(money),would be like funding future DDOS Attacks.

dontknowright

PhilO, yes, you are absolutely correct. Seems like this guy has been attacking servers for a while. I see through other forums that he is still attacking servers. Funny how other servers do not get attacked...

dontknowright

Tervist, Woon, True and Talon have all been under DDoS attacks today.
Did I miss any?

Speculate.

ElariaRO

Yeah, looks like ElariaRO had the same problems. :l
But thanks to our protection I guess people just had some lags and/or a dc.
Jesus Christ, can't those people just go and put their effort into something useful?

pusanginamoy

Its Fappening..wait what?!  /heh

Fantastik

Same here. Players getting DC'ed and Lagging.

Dazzu

So other servers are being attacked recently as well. Interesting.

dontknowright

So the list is now Tervist, Woon, True, Talon, Elaria, Fantastik, and Dark.
From what we know on this thread, the attacker is demanding money.

Someone hates RO!

Lili

This reminds me of the old days. Same story repeats over and over again for every game server at some point. But fear not, patience is a key factor in such battle. There are only two things you must never do:
- Fulfill their demands. (A true Captain never surrenders even until the very end.)
In the end if nobody pays them, their business won't be running successful and they won't bother with it. The only DDoS left would be out of jealousy, hatred and ofc competitive DDoS migration companies.
But those cases can't be considered DDoS at all. We talk about now, where professionals who can rent botnets or even
make such gather and try to make some profit out of the blue (Out of what is successful).
- Try to reason with them. (Some people just want to watch the world burn).
Those things continue to happen because there were actually fools who paid their imaginary "freedom".
In the long term it's cheaper for both money and nerves to ignore those demands.

How to deal with this problem?
Communicate with the owners of the most successful game servers (like WoW) and ask them how they deal with it.
Keep on updating and informing your community.
Merge resources/playerbase/servers and help each other.

The DDoS migration services have even trickier ways to attack back, so ask them how you can smash/block/jam down the attacking PCs.
Because they can be many, but in the end - limited and static.

Good luck guys, and remember - you are not the first nor the last to experience the actions of some rich imbeciles.

leokimah

It happens often because it's really freakin easy to do. You just need to know how to read.

eesti

Maybe create a topic where you can share verified services and reviews?

Against most DDoS attacks, you will be protected dedicated server, hosted in:
- OVH.com / SoYouStart.com (EU France/Canada)
- StormWall.Pro (Russian service based on OVH). Most popular EU/RU Lineage2 servers use them.
- BlackLotus.net (US, California)
- staminus.net (US)
- seflow.net (EU Italy)
- x4b.net (EU/US) Tunnel/Proxy for your server. On the test I got unstable Ping through NL.
This will help the majority of attacks from small botnets and networks

Do not pay money to the attacker, they will require them to you again and again...

dontknowright

It is not true that DDoS "are freaking easy to do".

If you're talking about loading up an app and pointing your proverbial lasers - that's not a DDoS attack. Those are laughable attacks that would barely touch your bandwidth and can be filtered with a single firewall rule.

Most DDoS attacks that make the news (and can take down large servers) are much more complicated and could utilize spoofing, reflection, and amplification techniques, and usually across many attack vectors simultaneously.

In order to block these, you seriously need to know what you are doing, and you will need the services listed by eesti above.

In the world of DDoS extortion - word gets around quickly. Most attackers usually demand a small fee at first. This is a TEST. If you pay that, you are tagged as giving in to extortion. The next demands are MUCH higher. This is why - NEVER pay extortionists. Not only will it not turn out well for you, but it will also fund them for future attacks.

Ignore them completely.

flyingheo

I noticed that all the server that are listed in the attack are actually pretty popular. Wonder if this is how the attackers are picking their victims.

Also, I wonder if this is done by an attacker that just want money? Or maybe a server that wants to get rid of their competition? Actually, the attack posted on the Facebook that they do not hate the server that they are attacking, it's just another server want them to do this.

Maybe we will have another Drama thread about DDoS attacks.

eesti

All types:
Extortionists (just wanted the money, usually used the test services - about 5-10 minutes)
Competitors and "schoolchildren", who thought that the server has been down, but really got into the filter :D