DDOS Attacks

Started by PhilO, Aug 24, 2014, 10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilO

The reason i open this topic ,is because the 3 servers i have interest in at the moment ,have all  been under these  DDOS Attacks recently.it felt strange that , its all happening around the same time.

what are these  DDOS Attacks?why are they so successful?does this happen often ,or is it just a coincidence now ,with these 3 servers?

lilsword

DDoS attacks are initiated by retarded people who wants to take down a server the dirty way.

Ucieczka

I would expect any established server to have some kind of DDoS protection.

Also, isn't it suspicious if a server had no unusual lag atall before the close, and also they take the website and the game down at the same time? I would have thought there would be lag first. What do you guys think? I might have that all wrong.

Fino

Dirty Way, that really fits.  ddos attacks happen quite often nowadays and I really wonder who has so much time to attack certain servers daily.

ddos protection is probably really useful but considering the setup and monthly prizes for a good working server are ridiculous high. Im not too fond in what protection usually costs, but I caught up a conversation about an offer for ddos protection and i nearly fell of my chair reading that. By that offer, I would have had to work 2 months nonstop without spending anything on living just for the setup. as i said, i dont know if thats normal but it really got me shocked.

Playtester

Unfortunately the whole private server thing has become a real illegal business. Some server owners earn their living from the donations. So they have increased interest to get as many people as possible and will attack other servers that they see as rivals.

It's very common these days that servers receive DDoS attacks, especially if they have 100 players or more.

dontknowright

Quote from: Ucieczka on Aug 24, 2014, 11:37 AM
I would expect any established server to have some kind of DDoS protection.

Also, isn't it suspicious if a server had no unusual lag atall before the close, and also they take the website and the game down at the same time? I would have thought there would be lag first. What do you guys think? I might have that all wrong.

You're wrong. You can only buy so much ddos protection. Most ddos attacks are only on websites and can be fixed with powerful hardware, scripting, and services like cloudflare. Sophisticated attacks are not on web traffic, but other ports and services. Many ddos now are over the 2gb-10gb mark. Imagine if you had 10gb of traffic hitting your ro server game ports. You have to buy bgp routing filtering for that. Prolexic is a company that does something like this and cost is $7500 setup and $22,000 a month.

Quote from: lilsword on Aug 24, 2014, 11:29 AM
DDoS attacks are initiated by retarded people who wants to take down a server the dirty way.

it is probably the same guy attacking all servers. probably a sad sexless angry kid :X

aguile

An easy way to think is to imagine as a person with a package as a command/requisition and a house as a server
The person must enter the house using the door, leave the package, get another and go back
3 persons can manage to use the door to do this without problems
1000000000000000 cannot

This is a DOS, attack someone makes an excessive amount of requisitions from the server that slowing the traffic at the point it would be impossible to use it.
The other "D" is from distributed, it means that the traffic comes from different sources, most of time, it comes from remote infected machines, "zombie" machines.
So... we have a zombie apocalypse going throught the door, with you trying to deliver the packet...

If that was just a DOS attack, you could just block the informaton coming from the identified source. As a DDOS, sometimes you cannot effectively track the multiple sources of this attack.
DDOS protection is expensive as hell. Remember that we are not talking about big companies who can afford this, we are talking about small servers who struggle to survive through donations.

eKoh

that's s***...

i've been trough holding a server and it is not easy, you need to struggle how to atleast run it up, and after months of hardworking, you finally make it real, and seeing that it can be screwed because from some angry sexless kid (haha) it can be destroyed... this it what it is, i think as new server owner we should ask for some ppl that had been server owners, so we can know how to face these problems.
We are a Pre-Renewal Midrate. Looking for the most
competitive
scene in Pvp, Mvp, and Hunting!

Grand Opening this July 15th!
Visit Aria-RO.com

Ucieczka

Thanks for clearing that up dontknowright

Triper

DDoS protection nowadays is a must have seeing how easy is to do it nowadays [yes, it's easy as google->download->run an exe->click here and there, let's go and no, I won't tell you the magic words to do it].

If you want to do it the real way, check how the best work - http://www.prolexic.com/services-dos-and-ddos-mitigation.html
That's the number #1 Anti-DDoS company used by many of your favourites big companies/websites like Facebook, for example. Check their prices and think with me, if they offer their services for that price, it's because there is a ton of DDoS around.

Yep, it's a **** move but life isn't fair either.

Bue

This is what happens when you run your server on a potato hosted by yet another potato who in turn employ potato support and offers potato features.

Source: I know a potato who runs a potato business.

It might not even be a DDoS.

pusanginamoy

Quote from: Bue on Aug 24, 2014, 10:18 PM
This is what happens when you run your server on a potato hosted by yet another potato who in turn employ potato support and offers potato features.

Source: I know a potato who runs a potato business.

It might not even be a DDoS.

yes and in the end you'll ended up getting their costly "protection"

Triper

Quote from: dontknowright on Aug 24, 2014, 10:16 PM
http://www.shacknews.com/article/85951/blizzard-playstation-network-and-more-under-wide-ddos-attack-update-fbi-now-investigating

this happened today.
That's just what is shared public, tons of companies get them on a daily-basis and that's why companies, like the one I shared, ask for that much to protect against those things. Anyone may still use their websites/services but in the background, they're being DDoS non-stop.

PhilO

And the people behind the DDOS Attacks ,are never caught?