Creating a Unified Super High Rate Server

Started by Jasc, Oct 03, 2011, 02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasc

I run 2 Super High rate servers and to be honest, I am sick of seeing low populations amongst majority of the high rate servers up. My servers are averaging 80-100 on one of them and 15-30 on the other. I am taking a look at other servers and seeing mid 40-50's and most are under 100.

I want to see a big super high rate community. I am reaching out to server owners who have a lower population server, lets stop mediocre servers and create one unified super high rate. When we build upon a server with 300+ players, it will advertise itself and keep building up in population.

We can take elements of every server that merges in, to create the best super high rate experience for everyone. I want to see this RO community united, not split up and distant.

It is my goal to merge with other servers, to create one of the best and unified servers of all time. Lets give the RO community something they are willing to play, build on a big community and create a network. Lets revolutionize the Super High rate servers. I will do anything in my power and money to make this successful. If I should fail then may god strike me down.

Who's with me?

All server owners you can reach me at [email protected] On windows live messenger or pm me on these forums so we can discuss on what plans we should make.

*Cheers to the future of the RO Community.

Yukino

Seems like a cool idea, though people might be able to sense the potential for corruption if there are that many sever owners behind the scenes. If there's just a few, some owners who are not included may feel underappreciated, etc. I see many problems that may arise in terms of dealing with finance, authority, power, selection of staff members, and such.

However, I would like to see how it goes if there are owners who would go with this idea. It'll be interesting =D. Hopefully, Jasc, you'll be able to get some interested people. Good luck!
Friends are special flowers that bloom from trust.

Free Designs by Me: Here!

Erebus

Yes, lets merge 5 servers into 1 where 5 owners conflict constantly on what should be updated and then the actual owner who pays the bills pulls the plug on everything and slips quietly into the night, only to re-open the server and lock everyone else out

/sarcasm

back on topic:
Its a good idea but doing so, too many complications form from too many owners/admins/etc staff wanting to change something while others dont

Triper

It's the same as merging guilds, it's always a good idea to fuse/merge power for more power but in the end it may do the opposite and just f*** all if everybody isn't in a syncro mood.

Jasc

appreciate the comments guys. But yeah just like 2 big companies, Activision and Blizzard, You tube and google.

Whoever has the same mind set as me, we can make it work. Nothing is impossible as long as we have the determination to try.

Strudel

Like  Yuki said.
But the big problem at hand is that if you merge them all and somehow manage to decide on reducing the number of owners they'll just end up making a new server. Because THEY want to OWN and CONTROL something. So if you want to merge that would mean each server + 1 admin, and once you go +3 admins you'll have big problems.
Another problem is users all like the different styles of how things are setup, it's not their fault they choose another server over yours, either it's the custom npc's, the custom map, quests, the amount of npc's or the rates, the customized monster/drops/exp. Because each server features something different. For instance one server having a @warp and the next not while still supporting the super warper (dun & fild lvl), there's just to much, another thing would be the wings, the styles of hairs, colors. As I said, it's to much to cover.

Jasc

All valid arguments and I respect your opinions. The best thing I can say is those who are interested, we can negotiate a compromise and trust each other to see what happens. Sometimes risks need to be taken to accomplish something big.

Triper

Quote from: Jasc on Oct 03, 2011, 05:28 PM
Sometimes risks need to be taken to accomplish something big.
^ Me approves that but, from my own experiences, no synchronized your team is, bad ending the server can have, young padawan.
Prepare the server first, do the giant step only in the end.

yC

I totally acknowledge there is a huge problem with the current super high rate server.  I am not a SHR player so I can't understand how it is or how it can be solved.  I was just looking at the SHR list of servers days ago and found the amount of people playing SHR seems to be lowest amount all categories.  But back 3-4 years ago SHR used to be the most popular.  People like Tom~ and Cheese still remember their glory back in Poison RO or what was the name before or after Poison RO that was also made by Zairik.

From a low-rater's eyes it seems people can be easily bored of SHR.  You simply can't gather a high population to stay playing a SHR for an extended period of time.  Compare to the grinding, teaming and chilling experience in low/mid rate there is no time for all that in a SHR.  It all boils down to the fact that the higher the server rate the easier it is to "replace" you (i.e. find a new SHR since there is nothing to lose) when a player finds something they don't like on the server. 

So your plan is difficult. 

Let's talk economy.  What you are trying to do is bending a bunch of small businesses in one industry into one big monopoly.  For SHR RO server, it has high resistance from current server hosters and nearly none sector barrier to new entry.  Even if you start to get a little success the amount of SHR server will not decrease because of your existence and they will be still around spreading out the population.

It's not like you are a wal-mart in which wherever you open the small shops will shut down.  If there is nothing special on your side that can drive them to join you or drive them out of business.  I don't see a future to this plan.

The only times I saw a big server like that came to reality (not necessarily a SHR) is when the server starts with an all-star team.  By that I mean such as getting respective eA developers to be on your team, employing experienced staff (possibly from a well-known server lol) ... etc you get the idea.

Well I think I talked too much.  As long there is greed and money to be made ... good luck to you.

Big Bear

Seems like an excellent idea, but along with the comments about corruption, I think a main problem with this is the willingness to trust another server's administrator, to create a successful merge. Your cause seems outstanding and I myself being an SHR player, would love to see it happen, but I find it hard to believe this would ever successfully occur.

If you do make any progress, please PM me or Email me, I'd love to contribute in anyway possible. :)

jman

Quote from: Jasc on Oct 03, 2011, 05:03 PM
appreciate the comments guys. But yeah just like 2 big companies, Activision and Blizzard, You tube and google.

Whoever has the same mind set as me, we can make it work. Nothing is impossible as long as we have the determination to try.

Rofl.

The only reason why this worked was because Blizzard bought Activision, and Google strategically acquired Youtube. They didn't 'merge'. the CEO of google told the president of Youtube what to do and the CEO of Blizzard told the president of activision what to do.

You have to have leadership.

I agree with this point:

QuoteYes, lets merge 5 servers into 1 where 5 owners conflict constantly on what should be updated and then the actual owner who pays the bills pulls the plug on everything and slips quietly into the night, only to re-open the server and lock everyone else out

Except that's not sarcasm. That probably will happen. No where in the world have I seen 5 people own something jointly successfully. They usually fail. and when you fail, you will undoubtedly screw over a ton of players.

Strudel

Woot?
I thought youtube was a creation of the part time projects google workers worked on or a normal project google always worked on but never a totally separate company and somehow acquired, they've always been 1 and the same. You sure about that.. please check your sources..

btw, did this ever work out did you get any satisfying replies or anything?

Yuzo

Things like this are a recipe for disaster. Like Triper said, compare it to a guild merge. Done plenty of those and they never work. The only way it can work is if one guild agrees to go seamlessly into the other without creating multiple owners of the guild. It would work the same way with a server. One person would be the boss and the others have to co-operate. Clashing personalities and ideals are only the tip of the ice berg of problems that could be created.

Not trying to run down your idea or anything, its just that unless their is one boss it can't happen. One boss also means the other admins or whatever they would be would feel unappreciated and go all emo and slit their wrists, crash the server or corrupt it.