Before Advance Classes? Your Opinion?

Started by Archaic, Sep 01, 2009, 11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archaic

Hello Ragnarok players,
There are few questions I would like to seek the answer and opinion from dear Ragnarok players.
Your participation would be appreciated, Thank You.

1. Have you played Ragnarok before Advance classes?
2. Which do you like more? Time before Advance Classes? or Time after?
3. Would You like to play in a server (A)that is dated before advance classes (all feature up to advance classes)
or play in a server (B)that has no advance class skills but has all feature up to date?
4. What rate you favorite most? Low, Mid, High, Ultra High? If you can provide your rate in detail (ex: 2/2/2)

Feel free to add give any opinion, Thank You.

Skotlex

Do you realize that now everyone is all hyped up about 3rd classes?

I wonder if in a few years from now we'll have people making the exact same questions... "did you preferred RO before or after 3rd classes?"

I have an itch against advanced classes, as for me that is the point where Gravity decided to drop "simple-game-mechanics with balanced classes" into "grinding-fest with overpowered skills as rewards."

There are already pre-trans servers out there, none too populated.

(RMS reviews)

Orange

I highly preferred being a crusader.

I was playing private RO servers as most of them were getting trans classes, The 1 I was on put them in and took them out shortly after due to most people hated it.

I highly preferred pre-trans, However I do not like the lack of skills that they have, Gravity could of made trans more balanced and should of given more skills tbh,
:3

Atis

I'd like to play pre-trans server with old mechanics/maps/eqip, preferablly without mulcticlients, with rates like 5/5/10. Unfortunately, i found only one such server , which is totally crapped due thoughtless GM's actions. If u know some pretrans servers or gonna make one, gimme links pls.

fluidin

Still don't understand the crying of lack of balance in RO. Looked through Doddler's rants because I recalled something he said that perfectly reflected what I feel.

Doddler:

RO's stance at game mechanics is probably one of the most extreme in an MMO. There's little in the way of moderation, and other mainstream titles would cry at some of the things that are done. Items just don't give you some status effect resistances, they give you immunity. Elemental resistance armor doesn't just reduce damage by a little bit; it cuts incoming damage by 75%. Shield cards don't just offer a little resistance; they cut damage by a whopping 30%-40%. Skill attacks don't simply deal extra damage; they deal several times your normal attack power. You don't simply increase your attack speed by a couple percent, the rate you attack increases exponentially.

The list could probably go on and on, and there are lots of things I could list, from specific skills, classes, and abilities. The point is though, is that RO's take on game balance is quite different from other games. Some people say there is no game balance, but behind the seemingly random cloak of high numbers and %'s, there is some method to the madness. RO seemingly pulls off balance by making things not equal to each other, and everything classes throw out is seemingly overpowered in their own way, they're all unique and excel at something. You have to generally concede that in Ragnarok, some character classes simply are going to suck at certain things. Each character class, of the some 39 jobs if you count transcendent characters separately, strikes some kind of balance between things they do really well and things they don't.

For this reason I usually simply laugh to myself when I read of complaints about character balance. Gravity's answer to a class or skill being unbalanced never usually results in that class or skill being modified. No, the answer is to create more extremes for other classes and other skills. Skill A is overpowered? Well ok then, now Skill B is twice as strong. It's a strange way to handle it, but by the time you hit the end game each class's role, how they perform and what they can and can't do is so unique that I can't help but think they've succeeded.
Quote from: Jeon on Jun 04, 2009, 12:02 PM
XileRo is the only HR I know that has a reasonable PvP system. I did watch the RWC like you said, all I see is people spamming the room like every other gang fight there is in RO.

Kisuka

only server i can remember that made it BIG without trans classes was Peter's ro server, RF at xenophase back before he added the newer aegis with trans classes.
Other than that, making this kinda server now adays would be dumb considering the RO private server world is full of filipinos wanting 3rd classes.

Atis

fluidin, yes, skills and items are very powerful, thats why i like ro, its not about few idiots poking each other with autoattack, relying only on pure stat/eqip advantage. Every strong item has some drawback. Facerolling just doesnt work here. This game is about knowledge and skills, I owned 99 rich trans with 85lv non-linked half-naked priest on arena. All classes are strong in some way and weak in another way, balance is based on usefulness and overall effectiveness.

But i think its wrong thread to discuss balance.

Kisuka, what about small non-trans server? 150 active woers would be enough to fill one castle.

Jadajada

Have played before them but didn't see much of it because I didn't
get far on official servers.. When they came out people lied to my acolyte
that i need job 50 for monk and so i turned priest out of frustration..
I'm not sure how a server like that would be. I would definitely give it a try if
the features and rates fit what I need but like it was already said, 2nd classes
don't have many skills compared to adv. And they look worse mostly in my opinion,
exceptions are there like female dancer,hunter,priest,sage. Mostly just males looking
better as adv.
I'd be up for rates like 75/75/anything above 50.
I don't think it'd be so great of an idea though.
Before 3rd class Gravity barely did anything wrong in my opinion.
When I consider a server right now, i make sure they do NOT have 3rd classes. I'm also convinced
of the current "balance" of the game excluding the 3rdclasses and a few little exceptions.

grubbykitty

Quote from: fluidin on Sep 03, 2009, 02:56 AM
Still don't understand the crying of lack of balance in RO. Looked through Doddler's rants because I recalled something he said that perfectly reflected what I feel.

Doddler:

RO's stance at game mechanics is probably one of the most extreme in an MMO. There's little in the way of moderation, and other mainstream titles would cry at some of the things that are done. Items just don't give you some status effect resistances, they give you immunity. Elemental resistance armor doesn't just reduce damage by a little bit; it cuts incoming damage by 75%. Shield cards don't just offer a little resistance; they cut damage by a whopping 30%-40%. Skill attacks don't simply deal extra damage; they deal several times your normal attack power. You don't simply increase your attack speed by a couple percent, the rate you attack increases exponentially.

The list could probably go on and on, and there are lots of things I could list, from specific skills, classes, and abilities. The point is though, is that RO's take on game balance is quite different from other games. Some people say there is no game balance, but behind the seemingly random cloak of high numbers and %'s, there is some method to the madness. RO seemingly pulls off balance by making things not equal to each other, and everything classes throw out is seemingly overpowered in their own way, they're all unique and excel at something. You have to generally concede that in Ragnarok, some character classes simply are going to suck at certain things. Each character class, of the some 39 jobs if you count transcendent characters separately, strikes some kind of balance between things they do really well and things they don't.

For this reason I usually simply laugh to myself when I read of complaints about character balance. Gravity's answer to a class or skill being unbalanced never usually results in that class or skill being modified. No, the answer is to create more extremes for other classes and other skills. Skill A is overpowered? Well ok then, now Skill B is twice as strong. It's a strange way to handle it, but by the time you hit the end game each class's role, how they perform and what they can and can't do is so unique that I can't help but think they've succeeded.

AND THATS IS
Posted on: Sep 13, 2009, 07:23 am
Quote from: fluidin on Sep 03, 2009, 02:56 AM

Doddler:

AND THAT IS WHY, WE ALL PLAY RO, EVEN THOUGH THERE ARE HUNDR NO THOUSANDS OF MORE GRAPHICALLY INNOVATIVE AND BALANCED GAMES..... BOY HAVE THEY SUCEEDED OR WHAT?

Metafalica

The above post made as much sense as hrubbykitty's last 5 posts.

Personally, I'm never playing Renewal. I doubt even when is perfected and finished, I don't see much promise in it. It seems like all they want to do is limit advanced classes more, and eliminate desire to stay perma 2nd job.. they're like forcing you, with the new skills, to max or get out.

A92FL0163

In my opinion, the more the merrier, I prefer having a bunch of interesting classes that can play some role than having a low number of classes that can do almost everything.

in b4 900 replies about how RO was better without trans + expanded and more nostalgia shit.

fluidin

Quote from: A92FL0163 on Sep 13, 2009, 07:00 PM
In my opinion, the more the merrier, I prefer having a bunch of interesting classes that can play some role than having a low number of classes that can do almost everything.

in b4 900 replies about how RO was better without trans + expanded and more nostalgia shit.

word. great to see im not the only one ard here.
XileRo is the only HR I know that has a reasonable PvP system. I did watch the RWC like you said, all I see is people spamming the room like every other gang fight there is in RO.

Orange

I don't so much miss the pre-trans(Though I miss them a lot) as I miss having to party.

Old days was you get a party, walk through anthell and attempt to kill maya. Now? Asura. Ganna do something harder? Dual client and asura. Ganna do the hardest mob in the game? 5x client and asura.

Also about that doddler quote, I always play games with my little brother and when I own him with something he complains that it's overpowered, my response is always "Everything is overpowered, which makes it balanced"

Also best balance is always a rock-paper-scissors effect, a beats b, b beats c, c beats a(with a longer chain)

I also remember playing runescape, hitting a spider 15 times watching 0's and 1's pop up then quitting out. Many other games to.
:3

fluidin

Yeah, that's it. something like a rock paper scissors effect, or in the case of RO, extreme roles.

WoW spoiled the MMO market, i'm telling ya.

Metafalica

Don't start me on Wow. The character sprites look worse than FF12's and thats saying something. There is a problem when no matter what you do, it always looks like there is dirt on your clothes. Does Wow contans sum washingmasheenz?