Autoloot/Dual Clienting Discussion/Poll.

Started by Chemical Crush, Mar 08, 2012, 11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you feel about Autoloot and Dual Clienting? [Low Rate in Mind]

Autoloot: Must have.
Autoloot: Could live without.
Dual Client: Must have
Dual Client: Could live without.
Dual Client: Could live without under certain circumstances.

Thoth

**autoloot should be enabled for everything but cards, (?very low rate drops?), and mvp drops. Its only for rare drops that the competition to grab the item and factors like looters become meaningful. for common drops disabling autoloot just leads to unhappy-carpal-tunnel-players. Double KO and getting the items is also kindof lame, I believe there is a setting to stop this.

**multiclienting takes away from the game, in that you must have (and be able to have) 5 clients open to compete. also when everyone has their own buffslave, why play a support character? nobody needs you, and greatly detracts from the social/community aspect.
to counter this, you could have an npc give all the buffs you could ever need. however this tends to throw off the game balance, and doesnt work well if you factor in certain buffs like soul link and gospel. its better instead to debuff when entering pvp/battlegrounds areas, and restrict warpers to dungeon entrances- if you ever have free warpers at all!
anti-multiclient hex cannot be relied upon: even if you have some arcane software that checks clientside and hasnt been bypassed, someone could just have 2 RO installs on their computer etc. ip restrictions are no good, because some people share ips and you want these people in your community (college students, family members, etc...). So- its best to have the server check for multiclients based on MAC address- at least then people won't have 10 clients open on one computer. have a banker for the zeny transfer issue, or better yet just make the zeny one value shared by all characters on the same account. stopping multiclient this way is also is just another layer to help deal with the possibility of botting as well.

Karuna-tan

Quote from: Thoth on Apr 11, 2012, 01:04 AM
**autoloot should be enabled for everything but cards, (?very low rate drops?), and mvp drops. Its only for rare drops that the competition to grab the item and factors like looters become meaningful. for common drops disabling autoloot just leads to unhappy-carpal-tunnel-players.

I never thought of this actually, it doesn't seem too bad in my honest opinion. o-o So if some server would have autoloot set like this, I wouldn't have a problem with it.
"Howard, you do know I've got a number of ways to poison you. In your sleep. Your food. You don't want that to happen do you?"

Skotlex

Sigh. You know, reading this topic reminded me that I was supposed to add my server's autoloot system to eAthena years ago >.< Perhaps there wouldn't even be any issues regarding autoloot if it worked that way*. Damn.

*That way: my autoloot system is one where you must click on an item, and then your character automatically picks up everything within range to pickup, with a small delay (250ms?) between picks. It certainly saves you from clicking all over the place.

(RMS reviews)

Chemical Crush

Quote from: Skotlex on Apr 17, 2012, 09:51 AM
Sigh. You know, reading this topic reminded me that I was supposed to add my server's autoloot system to eAthena years ago >.< Perhaps there wouldn't even be any issues regarding autoloot if it worked that way*. Damn.

*That way: my autoloot system is one where you must click on an item, and then your character automatically picks up everything within range to pickup, with a small delay (250ms?) between picks. It certainly saves you from clicking all over the place.

Thats pretty awesome.

Meta

Quote from: Thoth on Apr 11, 2012, 01:04 AMSo- its best to have the server check for multiclients based on MAC address- at least then people won't have 10 clients open on one computer. have a banker for the zeny transfer issue, or better yet just make the zeny one value shared by all characters on the same account. stopping multiclient this way is also is just another layer to help deal with the possibility of botting as well.

The only way to get a MAC address is with ARP, and that won't work over the Internet.

8yearsro

Autoloot: could live without. Simply because I'm getting used to play without autoloot.

Dual Client: could live without under certain circumstances. That is, if the server is high rate then I don't need dual client. Or if the server is low rate but highly populated then I'm okay without dual client.

Thoth

Quote from: Meta on Apr 17, 2012, 02:44 PM
The only way to get a MAC address is with ARP, and that won't work over the Internet.

mm really? I heard about a server that did something like this, binding accounts to your specific mac address so even if other people had your pass, they couldn't log on unless from your computer. perhaps it was something they did with the client.

DeePee

Harmony gives you the player's MAC Address.

Meta

Quote from: DeePee on Apr 21, 2012, 05:26 AM
Harmony gives you the player's MAC Address.

That's different. Anything client-side can just grab the MAC of any active interface with Windows' own networking API. It's also trivial to change, so don't rely on it for enforcing bans.

How does it handle multiple interfaces? For example, I could hack Harmony to check an interface that's active but not being used for RO instead of the one RO is using, and change the MAC on it for each connection. Would it detect that?

mirthyrzeo

I used to love @autoloot but now I disagree, why? Because monsters that steal our loot are here for balance a little the game economy, even without those monsters you don't have time to pick everything in a big mobing.

Dual Client: this hurts a lot the Pservers in my opinion. People use a alt healer/buffer excluding their role, also It makes bot a lot easier. Since Ragnarok was made for be a payed game, for use two clients you should buy two accounts, the players likes of dual because they just want to do everything alone, don't want to share the lot and share their trust.

Anti-Static Foam Cleaner

Quote from: Meta on Apr 21, 2012, 09:59 AM
That's different. Anything client-side can just grab the MAC of any active interface with Windows' own networking API. It's also trivial to change, so don't rely on it for enforcing bans.

It's not about enforcing bans, it's just to find people running two clients simultaneously. Then you just find the account associated with the connection and ban the account itself.

Thoth

ban someone for dual clienting when they do it all the time on other servers? harsh man, you'll only make people leave server like this. disconnect or very short ban at the most.

Styx

The possibility to play this game alone or with a group is a future that makes this game more attractive for a larger audience.
Restrictions and rules don't mean the gameplay or entertainment will be better.
It is just a choice regarding the potential of community, nothing more or less.