@autoloot in Low Rate Servers

Started by vashgibz13, Oct 10, 2015, 09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vashgibz13

So basically whats wrong with @autloot in Low Rate Servers? 99% of those servers has removed it. Why?
Any imbalance issues?

BerryCake

What servers have you been playing? 6 out of the top 10 servers have autoloot enabled in the low rate listing in RMS, I don't think it's as rare as you say, probably only the diehard "classic" experience servers remove it, but you have to be looking for a specific kind of audience and those people might not want autoloot on such servers themselves.

Minabe

Doing Tripper's job.

ggwp

Most argument pointed on how ranged jobs get more benefit than melee job since autoloot cut their walking time when looting dead monster.

Playtester

Quote from: vashgibz13 on Oct 10, 2015, 09:51 AM
So basically whats wrong with @autloot in Low Rate Servers? 99% of those servers has removed it. Why?
Any imbalance issues?
Well, first of all it's more like 50% of the low rate servers that have no autoloot. And those are the ones that advertise themselves as "close-to-official".

As for reasons there are multiple:
- Official feeling
- Autoloot makes looters pointless, gameplay can be quite different on some maps with looters depending on autoloot on or off
- Surprise rare drops from looters (like Fabre Card from Poring)
- Ranged classes benefit from autoloot a lot more than other classes, it creates quite an imbalance and makes Hunters by far the best class to hunt items
- Makes greed pointless, one of the only skills that give forgers a useful role in a party (you can save quite some time if you let the Blacksmith loot everything while the other just keep on fighting)

ragnakid

In my opinion, Autoloot can cause zeny value goes down because you can simply loot all and sell to NPC you dont want to play a low rate with 100m++ for a card and also easy way to do macros

Wyvern

Some also disable @autoloot in favor of @arealoot, which is much better than picking stuff up 1 by 1, but I do agree that a lot of servers has started to disable autoloot.

Also, while having @autoloot enables allows the server to gain more zeny (which is a bad thing overall), it does bring more supplies to the market to those who would otherwise be too lazy to loot or can't for w/e reason, all assuming they sell it to other people. On the other hand, maybe not in some specific situations...But once you play a server without autoloot for some time, you get used to it, and realize it's better that way (especially with @arealoot), even though you may wish it was implemented in the end.

Other pros of autoloot:
- Less risk to lose an item when you die with the monster (but that may not necessarily be a good thing as being careful is an important thing in most games rather than being reckless)
- No risk of not being able to pick up items on unreachable locations, like portals
- No risk of other players stealing your loot

Other cons of autoloot:
- You can use autoloot as a mean to get the loot off a boss/mvp/other mobs when you did most of the damage but don't want to finish it off to prevent dying/losing the mvp and such (could be half-countered by not enabling autoloot for mobs off screen)
- Can be abused for afk farming via various methods

And there's probably more.

Blinzer

Quote from: ggwp on Oct 11, 2015, 06:27 AM
Most argument pointed on how ranged jobs get more benefit than melee job since autoloot cut their walking time when looting dead monster.

And I'm sure this difference, in RO, a game where kiting is the only efficient method of defeating monsters, is going to make all the difference in making melee classes more viable for farming.

The only thing autoloot cuts time on is useless wasted time of having to pick up items, melee class or not. It's useless to use traditionalistic MMO views on a game that became popular because of how different it was from other mmos.

ggwp

Quote from: Blinzer on Nov 10, 2015, 01:08 PM
And I'm sure this difference, in RO, a game where kiting is the only efficient method of defeating monsters, is going to make all the difference in making melee classes more viable for farming.

The only thing autoloot cuts time on is useless wasted time of having to pick up items, melee class or not. It's useless to use traditionalistic MMO views on a game that became popular because of how different it was from other mmos.

Hunter can just DS + Tele and kill 2-3x more mobs than a melee class can do.

Blinzer

Quote from: ggwp on Nov 10, 2015, 03:15 PM
Hunter can just DS + Tele and kill 2-3x more mobs than a melee class can do.

Here's another list of things hunters can do in PvM that melee classes cannot:

- Kill any monster in the game

Just in case we seem to be missing the point here, allow me to give you a second list of things that hunters can do that any other class in the game cannot:

- Kill any monster in the game

Lastly, let's provide a list of things that will not change if you remove autoloot from the game:

- Hunters being able to kill any monster in the game much faster than any other class

So I guess the solution is to remove autoloot from the game. Good work boys, let's pack it up.

I am only going to say this once, so pay close attention. Every competitive player that ever existed in the game known as Ragnarok Online surrendered themselves to the fact that the archer class is the class which monopolizes PvM in every single aspect; and while you were sitting here wasting your time complaining about how overpowered archer is in PvM, made themselves one and farmed all their gear and still found a way to make their melee classes useful in the scenarios where they could have been useful. Reflect strategies, CT beelz/AK strats, satan morroc efist kiting, bio labs ice wall kiting were all things invented by players who already knew about hunter's strength: the only difference is that instead of them trying to dictate the way the game should be, they were simply bent on understanding it and using the potential of the means available to them.

When someone sucks at something, you don't make them do it. Melee classes suck at farming: deal with it.

Minabe

Doing Tripper's job.

Blinzer

Quote from: Minabe on Nov 11, 2015, 11:50 PM
Just like you said, no point in giving an advantage at PvM to an already op class made for it, some also take into account Greed but that is the main reason arealoot is preferred over autoloot (and in the case of a low rate server it has a serious effect in farming).

You're right, and there's no point in giving an advantage to all the op classes made for PvP like creator, paladin, prof and champion. Remove long range reduction in GvG.

Minabe

Doing Tripper's job.

sparkkk

they are just STUPID. why? you can use autoloot and avoid being severly damaged by excess of repetitive efforts. believe me you dont want click too much several hours its just too tiresome. I always avoid such servers because of it. I think its ridiculous not using autoloot.

Rider

Autoloot becomes an issue mostly in lower rates when compared to mid or high rates, where it is easier to farm anything in a short spam of time. IMHO, the biggest drawback of autoloot is afk-farming. I don't mean the simple use of homunculus or mercenary to hunt. Any class can use a combination of reflect and auto-attack modifiers and afk-farm all day. It bypasses the anti-afk restrictions that most use to prevent afk-farming because in this case the player is using skills. Moreover, it encourages the use of macro to simply cast a skill or move a cell based on the sever's anti-afk time intervals. When we're able to run several clients these days, how is afk-farming any different from botting? Some just use @alootid or @alootrate to loot only rare items and cards.