The Cost of being Balanced?

Started by Scribbles, Jun 24, 2011, 08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XicoR4

Quote from: Skotlex on Jul 20, 2011, 09:31 AM
I kinda wonder why we all got so attached to RO

It's the nostalgia effect mostly, we had fun when we first played RO so we stuck around. There's also the fact that in a MMO you always interact with other people (which means it won't really ever get "old"). Also some people have been playing RO for so long that they are unwilling to move to other games.

Quote from: Skotlex on Jul 20, 2011, 09:31 AM
Meh... there's a part of me that wishes RO would just die already, it may be beyond salvation (in the balance department :D).

RO probably won't die anytime soon, even though it will probably be reduced to a niche of people playing it.

It's not that it is beyond salvation, it's that the people that have the skills to "save it" aren't interested for a number of reasons. The rest of the community is going about it in a way that only hurts the game more (I don't really blame them though). Not to mention first of all you would have to find a common ground on how to improve RO, which, like I said earlier in this thread, will vary according to who you ask.
The amount of work needed to re-balance RO to a level where every class has a role, alternative stat and (especially) gear builds are viable, more than 1/4 of the available skills are actually being used and monster rewards scale properly according to their difficulty (except for the monsters, it's closer to how RO was during it's "golden days") is colossal.

That's just a small fraction of what could be done to improve the game too :(

Ancien Regime

This is a horrible thread. 2-1 RO was s***. And I just feel like, to be honest, there's a lot of buttfrustration in this thread.

Believe it or not, rock paper scissors metagames and metagames where you can pot your way to victory are BAD metagames. They reward having a good matchup as opposed to skill, adaptation, gear, etc. Good metagames should play fast in general; not the boring slugfest it used to be. Also, good metagames should make lots of options available to players, while not attempting to make ALL builds viable (which is stupid).

The primary problem with some of the newer skills is that there wasn't enough of a cost to using them, making them too spammable. Make Asura's SP cooldown apply to recovery items in PVP/WOE, and put a 5 second cooldown on Cloak and make SinXes more fragile . Now, the huge DPS skills are still there, but one has to be more judicious about their use.

But most of this thread just seems like so much complaining that things aren't how they used to be.

l2ue

Whoever said this game was suppose to be balance.

The proper solution to all your imbalance problems is to add more imbalance into the game.

Its like crossing a very narrow wooden bridge that is about to collapse under its weight while riding on an elephant. If you get over the bridge, s*** a life achievement. If you fall off the bridge, you have a hell of a story to tell (if you live through the fall).

Here is an example. A couple of years ago, heavily dosed and buffed SinX can one-hit anyone with a sick SB build and decent gear. Obviously imbalance because almost everyone in PvP changed to SinX and everyone in PvP was either cloaked or dead. A lot of homosexuals would ask the admin (who really don't give a f*** about your opinion) to nerf SinX. If you're a professional admin, you would probably do something along the lines off, buffing almost everything and tell the player to stop bothering you. So that you can work on something else that doesn't involve people who are constantly getting rape in PvP asking to nerf everything.

Quote from: Ancien Regime on Jul 31, 2011, 01:05 AM
This is a horrible thread. 2-1 RO was s***. And I just feel like, to be honest, there's a lot of buttfrustration in this thread.

Believe it or not, rock paper scissors metagames and metagames where you can pot your way to victory are BAD metagames. They reward having a good matchup as opposed to skill, adaptation, gear, etc. Good metagames should play fast in general; not the boring slugfest it used to be. Also, good metagames should make lots of options available to players, while not attempting to make ALL builds viable (which is stupid).

The primary problem with some of the newer skills is that there wasn't enough of a cost to using them, making them too spammable. Make Asura's SP cooldown apply to recovery items in PVP/WOE, and put a 5 second cooldown on Cloak and make SinXes more fragile . Now, the huge DPS skills are still there, but one has to be more judicious about their use.

But most of this thread just seems like so much complaining that things aren't how they used to be.

The fuck are you smoking.

Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metagaming

"The school of the undefeated East!"
"The winds of the king!"
"Look! The East is burning red!"

Anti-Static Foam Cleaner

Quote from: Ancien Regime on Jul 31, 2011, 01:05 AM

Agreed.

And people b**** about Asura pre-trans? Seriously? Sorry but if you cannot Dispell, Absorb or just Hide then either you're bad or your guild is bad, the end.

SeleneOfMystique

Cost of being balanced?

last aug 9 2011 i launched my server..the first thing that i've noticed was..people keeps on asking me to give them stuff blah blah......when i said no..they were like "in    ****-ro they gave us this and that.
i was like "this aint high rate"
     and they told me im unfair.....i think maintaining the balance will cost a lot and might cause haters as well. But if a server give everone their equal chance to hunt, quest,etc on their own.....i think we can also consider that as balance.....
      i think imbalance is when a person gets too much even without hardworks.   
      i really cant say that high rate or low rate is imbalance since they fall on different category.its the admins who can balance everything since they're the one's who implement's and make rules..and the player also plays the most imp part in maintaining the balance since they are the one who follows these rules and all of them are given equal chance, if not given equal chance then thats IMBA!!.....