AnimaRO - Great server or GREATEST server?

Started by AxeGunner, Jul 11, 2007, 03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elements

Quote from: Transcend on Jul 13, 2007, 12:20 AM
You gave them 60dollars,why wouldn t they be nice?
well id be nice to you even with 0 dollars
now put urself in this position
u can t donate AT ALL,you get owned all the time..it s not funny for you
Why?
you don t have an SQI
Now try talking to a gm ;)

I last donated in early 2006 (02'), I seriously doubt they give me special privilages cause I donated over a year ago.. Especially considering you're saying two seperate things..

"They make millions, and don't care for the players"

And..

"You donated years ago, so they give you special privilages"

If they make so much, why would they care about the measly little 60$ I donated years ago?

Illisuun

Quote from: Transcend on Jul 13, 2007, 11:28 PM
@elements: Because they care about the next thing you will do A.K.A : ADsssssssssssssss
@all
Anima isn t great,it s corrupt,it sucks
WHY?
There is no real RO in all this mess.they should change the name to MarketRO :/
The PvP,GVG scene is absurd .a girl from anima that came to my server told me that her guild was accused of botting AT THE TIME THEY actualy got strong enough to woe!
means that each time a guild that isn t made of potential donators is getting kicked? (maybe,not confirmed 100%)
If they suck so much why do they have so much players DUH!
Let's see the potential ANIMARO Players:
90% The US SCUM of ro players that have a paypall and can donate 130$(130 dollar is the total amount for a server rent )and that can t realy play
5% Newbies to RO that needed a Free RO server and sadly found Anima.....
5% Foreign players(mostly UK) that have a way of donating or Sponsor ads

Sadly,it seems this 100% represents 3000 player that anima and talon have ;)

Look, you clearly have not ever played on the server much less talked for any amount of time to anybody who has. In my small guild of about 20 active players, we have several Europeans, several Canadians, several people under 18 who don't even really have access to means of donation, and a decent number more who are capable of donating but don't do any more than the relatively few free credit offers. And we're still active and competitive in WoE. We have a pretty decent number of 90+ trans characters with solid gear that have never donated a penny.

And we're not alone. Several of the biggest and most powerful guilds on the server are primarily Philipino. There are foreigners and non-donators all through the tiers of players.

Seriously, this not being able to compete if you don't donate thing is a myth propagated by players that are pissed off that they can't just walk in with a level 80 character with NPC equips and own in pvp. Yes, it's harder to get to the top if you don't donate, but it's far from impossible.

BRabbit

Quote from: Illisuun on Jul 14, 2007, 03:47 AM
Yes, it's harder to get to the top if you don't donate, but it's far from impossible.
YES! You confessed! Finally!

Remember that there are many low rate servers around that don't give MVP cards or lord kaho's horns for donating. In there, it's not easier to get to the top by donating. Why do you play on Anima anyway? You even said it yourself: If you don't donate, it's harder.

Illisuun

Because I don't like losing my characters when servers go down due to lack of funding, primarily. Unless you've got a fairly giving community, you're going to have to offer something in exchange for donations in order to cover your expenses.

BRabbit

Quote from: Illisuun on Jul 14, 2007, 07:05 AM
Because I don't like losing my characters when servers go down due to lack of funding, primarily. Unless you've got a fairly giving community, you're going to have to offer something in exchange for donations in order to cover your expenses.
Here's some good examples to follow, and the reason why Anima sucks compared to all these.

Der RO and Paradise RO: --
These servers have no donation rewards and don't even accept donations.

Ragnarok NOW: http://ragnanow.com (CLICK ON "DONATE")
This server accepts donations, but does not have any rewards for them. That's a "DONATION" as supposed to be.

EuphRO: http://www.euphrogame.com/donations.php
Watch, how these guys offer no MVP cards or anything like that. Their donations are for looks only.

CelestiaRO: http://www.celestiaro.net/donations.html
Statless wings and name changes. Nothing that will make non-donators feel bad.

See? You don't have to screw over all non-donators to get a bit of money. AnimaRO requires you to donate to be good, these servers don't.

Transcend

Quote from: BRabbit on Jul 14, 2007, 11:56 AM
Here's some good examples to follow, and the reason why Anima sucks compared to all these.

This server accepts donations, but does not have any rewards for them. That's a "DONATION" as supposed to be.

Watch, how these guys offer no MVP cards or anything like that. Their donations are for looks only.

See? You don't have to screw over all non-donators to get a bit of money. AnimaRO requires you to donate to be good, these servers don't.
:D! as he said
but i think the anima guys like it as it is
i give money,il be strong in a game so :P

Raruri

"US SCUM" ? o0

Woah,Woah just because our government sucks right now doesn't mean all Americans are scum, are you aware our president has a less than 30% approval rating, and most of the country is against him? His only real supporters are corporations,Rednecks and Evangelists, which unfortunately, happen to be a majority of the voters these days >.>

Anyway, back on topic,

AnimaRO doesn't suck, like I said, alot of things could be added,and a alot of things need to be removed,abolished,etc.
The Community's attitude fluctuates alot these days, and the economy is all over the place as of late, but other than that, things aren't too bad I suppose.

I don't consider aRO to be the greatest server, or even one of the best these days, However, it isn't a bad server either, IMO.
There was a time when I wouldve called aRO one of the best servers around, but those days are long gone...

Transcend

@Raruri
Sorry,you didn t understand what i mean.
I said US SCUM of ragnarok players akathe bad US ro players :)

Illisuun

Quote from: BRabbit on Jul 14, 2007, 11:56 AM

Utter crap highlighted for emphasis. Just stating it over and over doesn't make it true.

And I don't think servers need donation rewards to run. They just need them if they want to have any sort of large player base and long term surviveability.

With the exception of EuphRO, those look like new-ish and relatively small servers. EuphRO is also the one that does in fact give in-game items (boxes) for donations. Coincidence?

Xennith

I haven't visited RMS in forever, but I felt the need to step in here and help clarify a distinction that I don't feel a lot of people are able to make. I'm not here to talk about whether or not Anima is a good or a bad server, everyone knows my opinion already, and arguing such things becomes a matter of perspective, and doesn't get anyone anywhere except angry.

I'm here to talk about game balance.

Many people claim that MVP cards and the like are obscenely unbalanced, and ruin the way the game works. Most people fall back on the concept that they were meant to be rare items, not items that everyone should have, but I think the biggest problem with this argument is that Gravity did not successfully balance such items to begin with, and I even think that a system that allows the majority of players to have access to the top-level end of gear is superior to one where only a minute few (By comparison) ever attain access to such items.

Let's look at this from the way one would get MVP gear on a server that doesn't allow players to get any MVP items through any method other than getting the cards from the kills. Lets assume that the server is a 1x, since most of the people here seem to be interested in the low-rate competition.

Golden Thief Bug card is one of the most sought-after prizes throughout most servers, and one of the most disputed when it comes to balancing it with the rest of the game.
On a low-rate, non-donation server, GTB drops his card at a 1/10,000 rate. For a player to get such a card, there is only one solution: Be very, very lucky. The lucky player, the one-in-a-million (Or should I say one-in-ten-thousand), will end up nabbing this rare gem of a card, and suddenly, this player is on an elevated status over every other single player on the server.
When someone gets an MVP card, and it does happen, that single player becomes a very valuable commodity, and he can use the card to his advantage, or sell it for a ridiculous price to other players who might be far richer, and can thus afford to fork over the cash. The player in question now has a large amount of character wealth for no other reason than that he is lucky, and there is now an MVP card on the server to "imbalance" things.
With a limited number of cards on a server, it means that the vast majority of players on the server are at a massive disadvantage, because there are lucky or rich players out there who have the ridiculous advantage of MVP carded equipment, and for another player to approach their power level, it either takes far more skill than the player in question, or it takes an equivalent level of gear... and on such a server you have no way of equalizing that power.

So here, on your non-donation server, are a select few players who are more-or-less gods among men, who have significant and unmatched advantages over other players... advantages that can't be countered. The cards are there, and are possessed by the few.

While a donation item server may not be perfect, look at what it creates instead. Because Anima in particular has a wide array of ways to earn donation-level gear, the items are available to a much higher percentage of players, which means while the average power level of the player base does jump dramatically, it means that any given player has a fighting chance to be on a competitive level, and doesn't have to rely on a one-in-however-many-thousand rare item drop to do it.

So tell me again that having widely available MVP equipment is more imbalanced than leaving it up to luck, because the numbers I see are telling me otherwise.
www.AnimaRO.com ~ Try out RMS' most controversial server!

Quote from: Alexander The Great
Nothing is impossible to he who tries.

Xennith

Quote from: Transcend on Jul 15, 2007, 10:45 AM
Sorry for being so blunt but,this post is made of crap and s***
Giving mvp's to everyone?because one on 10k ppl will get lucky enough??????
Do you know how an MMORPG is made?
how stats are calculated and WHO DOES THEM?
Also it s not about luck
someone who camps GTB 24/24 for 2years should get that card$
but you who donated,you shouldn t get it!

You're clearly not looking at the driving mechanics behind what I was referring to, here. I understand why you're saying what you're saying, but the simple fact is that its a logical fallacy.
A player could camp GTB for 2 years and never see a card drop. Its a very real possibility. Despite what you may think about Ragnarok Online, Karma isn't something that you can count as a mathematical value when determining the availability of a resource. A player literally can go down th GTB for the first time in his life, kill the MVP, and get the card.

Your contempt towards this subject is clearly because you think the idea of people being able to use their real-life affluence to quickly attain an edge in an online game, which is a reasonable point-of-view, but NOT one that helps resolve the balance conflict of MVP cards.

You ignored the entire point of my post in your reply. It's not simply that any given player can get it, but that its a matter of luck, no, it's that these "crazy powerful imbalanced cards" end up in player hands, but worse, they end up in only a few player hands. Even if they belong to the best few players on the server, it still means that those select few players who have them have an unmatched advantage that other players can't replicate.

If these cards are so unbalanced that it's not OK for lots of players to have them, how is it OK for only a few players to have them, who then have free reign over the rest of the server?

AxeGunner

For the first part of the post I was going to make, Gene pretty much covered everything.  No need to repeat it.

As for you that are STILL confused on the topic title, it's a complete joke, more or less to attract more readers.  I wasn't actually doing a poll of seriousness. >___>

As at the US donating scum comment, I know a HELL of a lot of people who live in the US, INCLUDING MYSELF, who have donated less than quite a few of the non US citizens.  Just because a few do it doesn't mean everyone does.  Using such a blurred and slurred phrase like that only makes you look like a fool.  Esmerala, I see no point in you being in this topic if you're going to make comment on things that I'm trying to clear up.  Honestly, most of the AnimaRO players hate BlackTalon, Calbee and the bunch.  I personally don't have a problem with any of them, save Calbee.  I even chat with them in their IRC when they're on.

For those of you complaining on how donators ruin the game, look at it this way.  How much does a card cost in iRO, kRO, or any other pserver?  TONS.  HOLY SHANK A LOT.  How much does it cost on aRO?  Still quite a bit, but you aren't giving your arm and leg for it.  The trickle economy effect has its good points.  Even if you don't directly benefit, you STILL do benefit.  Hell, with proper farming and such, making about 3 mil a day, it'd only take you about a week or less to get an MvP card.  One month = 4 cards.  As you get more cards, you become better at farming as well, because you're more powered.  You'll be able to farm more zeny.

In all honesty, if you don't want to play Anima, that's fine by me.  Donating not your thing?  Only want to be a casual player?  Go to SerenityRO then.
His name was [deXter], not dexter.

:(

BMontgomery

Quote from: AxeGunner on Jul 15, 2007, 07:58 PM
For the first part of the post I was going to make, Gene pretty much covered everything.  No need to repeat it.

I don't believe for a second that Gene is posting here under the name Xennith. That is Harken posting. Pat's writing style is much different than Nick's writing style. For those who don't know, Nick = Gene and Pat = Harken. Pat has a thing about hiding his identity, and posing as Nick by using the name Xennith here is one of his hiding tactics. 

This thread was probably some kind of stunt to draw attention to aRO.

AxeGunner

Quote from: BMontgomery on Jul 15, 2007, 08:47 PM
Quote from: AxeGunner on Jul 15, 2007, 07:58 PM

I don't believe for a second that Gene is posting here under the name Xennith. That is Harken posting. Pat's writing style is much different than Nick's writing style. For those who don't know, Nick = Gene and Pat = Harken. Pat has a thing about hiding his identity, and posing as Nick by using the name Xennith here is one of his hiding tactics. 

This thread was probably some kind of stunt to draw attention to aRO.

What the hell kind of conspiracy are you trying to say.  I have no affiliation with the AnimaRO staff, aside from talking with Gene.  He DID post that, whether you and your conspirators say so.  Seriously, where are you getting your facts from? 
I would like a legitimate source as well, not some quote from the middle of nowhere that you wont link, or claim it to be general knowledge.

Stunt?  No.  I'd just like people who come here to stop believing you conspirators who have something or another against AnimaRO.  Claim your theories as you may, 1,100+ that are generally on at any given moment speak for itself.  If there was REALLY some conspiracy, I'm sure the general public is smart enough to figure that something is up.  Or do you have some sort of secret connection with Harken, who is relaying all of this information to you?
His name was [deXter], not dexter.

:(

Xennith

Quote from: Xennith on Jul 15, 2007, 06:45 PM
If these cards are so unbalanced that it's not OK for lots of players to have them, how is it OK for only a few players to have them, who then have free reign over the rest of the server?

Once again you have chosen to ignore the point of my post in an effort to show how superior of a person you see yourself as, and I'd appreciate it if you'd answer my question.