A truly good server should not need more than one GM.

Started by Firefly, Aug 08, 2008, 05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scars

QuoteRe: A truly good server should not need more than one GM.

A truly good server should have at least 1000 players, therefore you will need more then one GM for a truly good server.

I do hope I'll get there.

Skotlex

Quote from: Scars on Aug 21, 2008, 09:08 PM
QuoteRe: A truly good server should not need more than one GM.

A truly good server should have at least 1000 players, therefore you will need more then one GM for a truly good server.

I do hope I'll get there.
Isn't ideals such a nice thing? But dude... in theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

The only servers who have tons of players only managed to get there by... having lots of players and not pissing off their players too much. Perhaps lots of cheating in the voting sites, but that's speculation from my part.

I'd think that the population is the biggest incentive to bring people to a server, it's a snow-ball effect, and unless you do a hideaous job at pissing off your players, it will keep going as long as the server has exposure. Population + Ads = More Population. Snowball effect.

(RMS reviews)

Scars

I am not saying all the 1000+ population server is a truly good server no.

What I am saying is 1000+ population is the first step to a truly good server, because ragnarok mmorpg requires that minimal amount of player to maximize its features.

Scars has a point, if your population isn't high enough then things like the god items quests simply don't work, and things like WoE and PvP don't become as active as most would hope/like and certain events become hard to use

and if those things become inactive/unused/difficult that too can affect the number of GM's one needs

Poki

There's no real definition of what a "truly good server" is. It just depends on whether you think it's good or not.

If there's a server that is ran by one GM and I think it's good, then it's good.
If there's a server that is ran by more than one GM and I think it's good, then it's good.

It's just easier to run a server with more than one GM, but having more GMs doesn't exactly mean it'll be better, just easier.

What's a truly good server? Lol.

bulbasteve

Quote from: Scars on Aug 27, 2008, 01:46 AM

What I am saying is 1000+ population is the first step to a truly good server, because ragnarok mmorpg requires that minimal amount of player to maximize its features.

Or you know, have a server owner capable of designing the game in such a way as to work for a low number of players. And I sure would rather play a small server with someone who knows what he is doing and trying to be creative as opposed to someone who just downloaded eA turned on a few options and put up a server that is well advertised.

Wyvern Court

You are wrong. A normal server needs only one GM. The kind of server, like RevengeRO in-making, that is total hard core work for yourself and takes the fun out of everything, YES, you need help, and well duh, im sure all admin's do enjoy and thank god for the help they recieve by their staff. A staff is all about teamwork, its time consuming, stressful, and HARD to manage a server perfectly.
Yes, you can do it by yourself, but it will get boring.
I know all of this from experience, so listen. Take all the help you can get, you will thank yourself in the long run. Now, im not saying for a brand new server go hire 10 GM's. A server should never have more then 10, even with 1k+ players online. 10 is even over doing it. It is about teamwork mate, how much staff do you think Gravity has? Alot. We all know it. They hire the help because its impossible to do alone.

Scars

Quote from: bulbasteve on Aug 27, 2008, 06:35 PM
Quote from: Scars on Aug 27, 2008, 01:46 AM

Or you know, have a server owner capable of designing the game in such a way as to work for a low number of players. And I sure would rather play a small server with someone who knows what he is doing and trying to be creative as opposed to someone who just downloaded eA turned on a few options and put up a server that is well advertised.

I see where you coming from, but still, maybe a well manage low population server > crappy management 1000+ player server

But

for me a well manage 1000+ > a well manage low population server.

Posted on: Aug 27, 2008, 12:27 pm
Quoteauthor=Melona link=topic=5943.msg39195#msg39195 date=1219359855]
Well, I currently am the only person in charge of everything on Melona Ragnarok Online, with 25-35 players online, oh no vendors, I think I am capable of running the server just fine, although I had promised the players and myself that, once the server reaches 50 players, there would be more staff members. :3

Best Regards,
Melona~

And its dead now.

QuoteI tried out Melona RO around that time it was all fked up and inbalanced its dead now anyway =] crappy admin.

Quoteno1 liked how she managed the server

Quotehence why maximum players was 3

All the quote is from your player.

Shaelyn

y'know, I kinda feel like this whole argument is a moot point.

a good server may not need more than one GM.  ...but why wouldn't it be better to have more than one?

with multiple GMs, there's a better checks-and-balances system among them.  less room for corruption.
plus, the workload gets lightened.  people, even the GMs, sometimes do have a life outside of RO, and can't do everything.  and even if they can, what if something happens to the sole GM on the server - net goes down or what-have-you?  why keep all your eggs in one basket?
people generally like to see an GM on and active in the server quite a bit.  I think this could be best handled with at least two GMs - going back to the why-keep-your-eggs-in-one-basket argument.
in general, two heads are better than one!

this isn't to say "the more the merrier," or that there isn't a point where there's TOO MANY GMs.  that point definitely exists - but two GMs is not it.
~Shae

Flow

Scars' post was epic.

1 person staff, what if that person is terrible at running servers?

Server go bye-bye.

Helrouis

I've seen this thing somewhere:
QuoteOn russian server this programme was made by two guys - very good coders and hackers, allowed them to earn more then 1m$ from their's server.

QuoteThere're clearly NO bots. No cheater/WPErs/ROAPers/Lockers/whatever the hell you wanna call them. You actually can research and translate with google (or w\e) if you aren't that lazy, but you better just believe me: WHOLE Russian (Ro orientated) Inet community whining about it, cussing and spitting at the Head Admin of that server, begging for the bot config, for any money they can get and still. Still no cheaters over there. They pop up randomly sometimes though, but little source updates (which come out daily/weekly) fix the exploits and make the persons who use(d) them banned.

As I said, just google these things, if you don't believe us.

Two person living in the both corners of the world is much more of a pretty good team ( west and east of course).

Pheonix

Maybe the only reason for multiple GM'S is this
1 not everyone on ro speaks english they may have a GM that is supposed to be able to talk to these people.
2 Not all the GM's can be on at once if there was only one GM they would have to be on constantly to help,answer questions,etc
some of them are only event GM's others are there to inforce the rules