Server Questions

Started by Goten53, Mar 21, 2008, 11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goten53

I hope the title wasn't too misleading, as I really would like some input into this...

But, me and a couple of friends are hoping to open a server soon (as soon as eAthena decides to agree with us...) and I (being the "ringleader" if you will) wanted to know, what type of server should we start off with?  I myself was thinking that we begin with a medium-rate server, then open a low-rate, and then (time and resources permitting) we open a high-rate.  (We all decided that SHR were out of the question).

Also, if we were to start our server up, what features should we add that would attract people?

Pandora

No matter what you do you will never ever please all players, so there is no "1 feature" that people can recommend. However, a good thing is to be constant, so make what decisions you need to make, then stick to them and inform your players accordingly, that way players who like your features will join.

Make sure you have the time, patience and resources to have a server, it's important not to enter this half-heartedly, serious server is serious business :P
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

[color=darkblue]Click here to find out more about heRO![/color]

Anti-Static Foam Cleaner

Quote from: Goten53 on Mar 21, 2008, 11:29 AM
what features should we add that would attract people?

The moment you thought that you doomed your server.

Seconding Pandora.

Goten53

Hm...I suppose I should've phrased my question better, but thanks for the input anyway.

=D

MWright967

There is no definitive formula for server success. Everyone has a different opinion, and a different set of needs and wants. You should customize it how you want, and over time adjust it to fit the needs of the players, while still sticking in your own boundaries of what you consider to be cool. The entire point of your own server is creating it yourself, working on it so you can call it your design and your labor. Just go with your instinct, try different things out and see what works.