A new kind of classic server

Started by Suspension, Nov 14, 2014, 03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bullet

Yes,
I've to re-emphasize that the developer should incorporate all these & run an OBT wipe for a considerably long time for feedback(genuine intellectual) & observation of balance. Putting these changes by patches is ridiculously too much.
Players must know the server info, rules & mechanics before they start the game.
So they can choose & plan their character & build wisely along the game without game balance changes popping in the middle as party pooper.

Another thing is, this changes might not(admitting still possible) fail like other server because we're like not simply choosing a random mechanic & making a random changes. This is not all about picking a strong class & nefing it, or making a max lv 255 or all stat 99 server.

Any one point in your RO life, you might have tried a character build to be different & unique style to compete. Such uniqueness in non-existent today, you have no spot in the game, you're gonna get slammed right in your face with these different build due to rigid mechanics. What you nave is standard cookie cutter build or characters.

There's no more agi wiz or priest able to perform well,or luk knight or assassin,
venom splasher is obsolete, dd sin still sux, standard is sb or the most critical can do is just break an emp.
backstab/plagiarsm/gangster paradise is obsolete, permanent copy is trans fix, not classic, backstab target position change is a fail ! standard is full strip
autobolt sage is obsolete, all goes support.
No shield boom/charge build, poor GC, standard is devotion.
Autoblitz/mines(trap) hunter is obsolete, DS or status hunter.
Combo monk is pve fancy build, asura is standard.
Alchemist is for brewing or CP at town only.

My idea is basically to see population be diverse of builds & style, & importantly able to perform efficiently on par with current standards.
If you want to criticize, be precise & provide recommendation if possible.
No need to be spiteful.

I like this project, I've only seen once a hoster trying to do this, but left off due to no time or will for commitment to get it going.

Suspension

Quote from: eKoh on Nov 15, 2014, 01:31 PM
I actually didn't read the features you say .

Now that I read them they are changing a lot of the gameplay, well, that's really dangerous, because most of the players are going to be affraid to join this, since it is very different of what we are used to play.

Just have that in mind, that's why people do not like customs, because they can change the way to kill mvps, Woe builds, etc.

I think there's a problem in mind of people who open servers. If I wanted to offer the exactly same experience as other server then I wouldn't create a server, I would just join that server and don't divide the userbase. The more people, the more fun.

I know there are a lot of people who is creating server for money, for pride, etc. But that's not me.

In fact I'm not going to create a server, it's just an idea I'd like to see reality. I don't like being admin nor dealing with users. I like to help, I like to create, I like to play with a lot of people. That's why I got this idea and that's why I want people feedback, to see if it's interesting, to make people really enjoy the game again and fix what I think was badly made in the game.

My idea is based on three changes: focus on what is fun (Killing monsters, MVP, PVP, WoE) making what is boring easier to accomplish (grinding, hunting for cards), enable more diverse builds and adapt the new goodies Ragnarok has implemented.
Quote from: exii on Jun 27, 2015, 06:07 AM
If you think casting quag is a good idea you or your guild heavily failed to create a viable guild rost.

Playtester

QuoteThere's no more agi wiz or priest able to perform well,or luk knight or assassin,
venom splasher is obsolete, dd sin still sux, standard is sb or the most critical can do is just break an emp.
backstab/plagiarsm/gangster paradise is obsolete, permanent copy is trans fix, not classic, backstab target position change is a fail ! standard is full strip
autobolt sage is obsolete, all goes support.
No shield boom/charge build, poor GC, standard is devotion.
Autoblitz/mines(trap) hunter is obsolete, DS or status hunter.
Combo monk is pve fancy build, asura is standard.
Alchemist is for brewing or CP at town only.
Many of these things can already be improved by just properly implementing all the skills. I already fixed plenty of skills that for example make Agi Wizards a lot more viable (all the Icewall fixes for example).

Suspension

Quote from: Playtester on Nov 16, 2014, 03:49 PM
Many of these things can already be improved by just properly implementing all the skills. I already fixed plenty of skills that for example make Agi Wizards a lot more viable (all the Icewall fixes for example).
That has nothing to do with what we're discussing here. It's not the skill behavior that makes the game unbalanced in some areas, unbalance applies to official servers too.
If you think casting quag is a good idea you or your guild heavily failed to create a viable guild rost.

OriginsRO

As long as players are aware of all these changes going in then i don't see the harm. Goodluck i'd say.

boxlunch

Yeah, good luck with that.

We made two servers dedicated to expanding the metagame through custom mechanics, balanced classes, and new content; every class was made viable, new builds were accessible, and the fresh perspective was designed to make RO more enjoyable through new custom modes. One server had extensive changes while the other had occasional changes. We advertised the f*** out of the servers, contacted countless guilds, and hosted events which offered monetary prizes. Neither server really took off because the players who would play that kind of server don't play RO anymore; we'd get guilds to join, but then they'd leave because we couldn't get enough competition.

The RO populace now is pretty spoiled and they don't want anything new. They want to play the same old game from 2004. The private servers with the largest populations -- literally thousands of active players -- are those pinoy pre-trans servers (no transcendent classes, content from Episode 8.whatever) which just goes to show how bad the state of RO is. Private servers with large populations have players simply because they've invested too much time in playing there to leave; TalonRO has one of the highest populations, but there is 0 WoE scene and no one really does much but sit on their asses and grind the same quests again and again. Even if you explicitly state why the changes were made, and gave examples of how it would progress the metagame, the vast majority of players will just b**** and moan because they can't be bothered to learn how to properly play the game. They want to play a point and click game where winning is inevitable like solitaire, not a strategic game dependant on skill like poker.

A server with custom mechanics would've been successful in 2010, but not now. There are players who would be interested, but there just aren't enough of them. You'll work hard to make the server, and get excited about the possibilities, but then you'll see how many players s*** donkey vanilla servers have and you'll lose all motivation to do any more work. You'll put your heart and soul into a server and get 20 players while another guy just recycles default code with overpowered donations and gets 200 players.

By all definitions, RO is a dead game now. No matter how many people still play, the fact that there's no progression in gameplay and the metagame means it's dead. It's been the same game for the better part of the last decade and the vast majority of players are completely fine with that. If you want to play a fresh new RO server with better mechanics and overhauled gameplay, just sit and wait for Tree of Saviour. It's being made by the original RO dev team and it'll be what RO was meant to be.

exii

Its just depressing me to read over and over from ppl who are crying about builds like agi wizards.
The bitter truth is that this game is old and such massive build variaty like in gw2 never was intended.
The only reason why such builds existed were just because ppl were too lazy delete their chars and found some dumb follower who tried to find something new and also created char with this concept like agi priest just because it seemed to be a new experience.

Name me a single MMO were viable builds arent important for extensive game progress and were fun builds can compete with them. Like on every other MMO its possible to builds those but you have to realize that this is not the intended way how to play this game.
Especially because Ro is that old it just has the classic job setting like healer, tank, dd and whatever.

Dont get me wrong; I would like to see a heavy costumized server. I was talking to a buddy once for hours to develop a concept were classes like ws (one of my fav cls tbh) finally can celebrate a comeback into woe by some changes which would make this char necessarily. We were analyzing its weakenings and tried to find a viable solution without interrupting the whole working game process.
But in my personal oppionion that very basics which were presented in this topic are just stupid and for somebody like me its obvious that op never understood whats excatly wrong with this game to work on satisfying changes. And this exactly why I said that some ppl never should open a server.

If you really want to a have tip for "new" game contents I would recomment just to full implement 15.2 and chanage the stats of every single monster. I personally think that this game (talking about pre-renewal) became boring just because of lacking fresh new content. Pre-renewal ragnarok has the best game mechanics Ive ever seen in an mmo but if you are just stucked into episode in 13.3 even the most excited player getting bored of this after years.
I never understood whats so hard creating a unique server when I see how less freatures the server implementing and how much content still never is in use.
Did you ever heard of Freya's set? Ive never seen this ingame. Tons of costumized headgears 'n s*** just because the ppl need something new. But the truth is the everybody forgot that still existing things here. Its making me sad if ppl try to touch the stars but forgot on what latter theyre trying to climb to them.

Whatever. Do what you want.
exii - leader of the nonsense army

finest low quality gw2 streams: http://www.twitch.tv/exii_against_the_world

Suspension

Exil, you're just spouting non sense, and seeing through your other posts it's clear you just try to impose your vision of Ragnarok online thinking it's the right one - sadly, it isn't. The original developers were fired and no one can be sure of how the game was going to be developed or what changes were about to be made to accomplish balance. Also you have 0 reasons why this shouldn't be made, you just mention some non sense about autoattack and FE defenses which are not even in the original post.

For the rest of the people - I don't want to heavy modify the game, just making it more diverse and make every build useful. I'm tired, really tired of the scene of 1 job -> 1 build -> 1 skill. I want to see different jobs with different builds and every one of them have viable purpose on every scenario, using different skills.

For example, in woe, Gravity has made it so the only way you can enjoy a FE woe is having at least 70 vit or you'll end the entire time stunned. With this, you've killed every single agi build and this is true because they tried to fix this by making agi resist stun status in Renewal.

I wouldn't change too much of the game, just the necessary changes to make it more diverse. If I really want to modify the game I'd just create a new one.

exii

Quote from: Suspension on Nov 17, 2014, 06:35 AM
I don't want to heavy modify the game, just making it more diverse and make every build useful.
lol
And you really dare to use words like "nonsense"?

Thats exactly what Im talking about. Agi builds are not viable on sinx in WoE? How come? Neither the fact that a sinx isnt really useful in modern WoE meta, maybe its just because stupid 1 click autohitter never should be as viable as classes which are based on skill use. This problem often existing on highrate servers with 195+ aspd. You just reach a point were click'n'wait is faster then skill spam (even with ahk).

But not only there. The whole renewal system is just kinda freaking joke. With heavy delays and fixed cast times autohits became far too important and are often much viable as skill use over time.
When I see videos from kro rangers who proudly showing their chars soloing FBH just by autohits there is something really wrong. And at this point you just confuse me because I have no clue why you can support such things in any way.
If you want such a trash I recomment you to play another game. Im sure you can be lucky with click'n'kill anywhere else.

If I see aspects like yours I absolutely dont have any doubts that my vision of ragnarok would be one the best so far.

Suspension

Quote from: exii on Nov 17, 2014, 08:29 AM
1 click autohitter never should be as viable

Here's your non-sense, so much hate over a thing I've never even mention in my post, autohitters. Maybe you're refering to battle sages? One change of about 20 I've think about? Yes, you can't even read properly but you think your vision of Ragnarok is the best. Sure.

exii

Quote from: exii on Nov 17, 2014, 08:29 AM
1 click autohitter never should be as viable as classes which are based on skill use.
Quote from: Suspension on Nov 17, 2014, 08:48 AM
Yes, you can't even read properly

Suspension

You base your entire hate on autohitters, and you just quote yourself as "proof".

You're going places. Not college, but places.

exii

The only proof I brought is that you arent able to read properly or just have massive problems to interprete "complex" sentences with more then 5 words.
I have no problem with auto hits but I have massive problems with if ppl trying to convert ro to a point and click adventure.
It feels just wrong if you can spam your skills like stupid and dont get rewarded for it.

Suspension

Quote from: exii on Nov 17, 2014, 12:16 PM
I have no problem with auto hits but I have massive problems with if ppl trying to convert ro to a point and click adventure.

The thing is (just for you, that seems to be quite special) nowhere in my post suggests I'm trying to do that.

There's like a list of SKILLS that I want to BOOST so people MAKE USE OF THEM. Got it now? Do I need to repeat it in some other language to you to be able to understand?

exii

Too lazy to re-read everything for now. Just rndmlpicked up things from the first post.
Quote from: Suspension on Nov 14, 2014, 03:03 PM
- Books: To improve Battle type sages, the ASPD modifier would be improved.
Quote from: Suspension on Nov 14, 2014, 03:03 PMHunter:
- Blitz beat ignores damage modifications, demihuman reductions and the bonus from Int is boosted.
Quote from: Suspension on Nov 14, 2014, 03:03 PMAssassin:
- Improve dual dagger efectiveness.
Quote from: Suspension on Nov 14, 2014, 03:03 PMSage:
- Autocast uses lv5 spells instead of lv3. hi soul link lel