A new kind of classic server

Started by Suspension, Nov 14, 2014, 03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suspension

This is not server advertising. It's just an idea I've got in mind.

Hello all. I'm seriously thinking about opening a server, but there are a lot already and I really want to offer something different. More specifically, I want to fix the gameplay. I'll explain:
- I want to make the search for gears less weary, so you can focus on training, pvp, woe and BG.
- I want every build to be important, no matter if you're a combo monk, a GC sader or an autocast Sage.

For that, I wanna make some modifications to the game. All these would be performed on a classic type server (2-1 and 2-2 classes only) and would start from ep.9 mechanics:

Mechanics
- Ranking alchemist potions will heal 30% extra instead of +50%
- On WoE, altered status will be halved and some skills (like dazzler and unchainted serenate) AoE will be greatly reduced.
- Knockback works in gvg map for non players, non mob objects (traps, firepillars, for example). Although there would be some limits to how many it can be stacked.
The best example for these changes is stun. Stun has made that every char outhere willing to participate on WoE has to be based on a Vit build. And if the Vit build is useless, then the job becomes useless (hello Lord Knight).
- Base HP and SP natural regeneration slightly improved.
- Critical attacks deal additional damage. (33% - 50%)

Server features
- Rates: 5x/5x/5x. However, once reached lv 85 the experience rate would drop to 3x. At level 90, to 2x, and at level 95 to 1x. This is to let users experience the best state of its characters on pvm with the addition of new dungeons adapted for non-trans characters and still be usefull on woe.
- Algorithmic drops: Drops chance under the 1% umbrella would be gladly enhanced. The lower the chance, the greater the chance boost. For example: instead of a chance of 0.05% for a card, it would be increased up to 0.10% or 0.15%. This is to make people enjoy the fun part of playing a game: Killing innocent, cute pinky balls of jelly instead of hunting hours for a card.
- New content adapted to the game: Newer dungeons (Abyss, Thanatos, Instances) in a classic environment. Cash mounts, etc.
- An account for all: male, female and autotrade characters.
- No dual client: There would no need with the previous feature, and it would greatly improve partying.
- Absolutely no pay for win and no unabalancing donations. Just classic (pre-trans) items available.
- NPC and zeny cost: Gradually increased from low level characters to help developing newbies. Also, there would be job packs available on each job change with a little bit of zeny, weapons and equipment.

Weapons
- Knuckles: The size modifier is the killer of this type of weapon and has no sense, so I would change it to 100 (small) 100 (medium) and 75(large), opposite of maces (75-100-100).
- Books: To improve Battle type sages, the ASPD modifier would be improved.

Classes skills

Monk:
- Combo's behavior changed. Attack and sp cost reduced. They no longer require the triflecta combo state. However, chaining different combo skills will greatly improve the damage (A combo skill would have a 30% extra damage after a lower level combo skill has been casted). The original requisite for the no-cast asura strike will remain.
- Asura Strike has a delay of 150 seconds.

Hunter:
- Blitz beat ignores damage modifications, demihuman reductions and the bonus from Int is boosted.
- Claymore trap reverts to the previous functionality: the more enemies, the more damage.
- Blast mine: Improved damage.

Crusader:
- Grand Cross usable over land protector as a self centered skill.
- Shield skills damage is boosted.

Assassin:
- Venom skill tree boosted on variety and damage. Venom Splasher requisites removed and cooldown shorted.
- Improve dual dagger efectiveness.

Alchemist:
- Increased bombs damage. Acid Terror will be a minified version of acid demo (damage multiplied by target Vit), but no def bypassing.
- Homonculus available, but with a cap level of 75.

Dancer & bard:
- Dazzler effectiveness based on distance with target.
- Songs and dances have lowered sp consumption and less delay to improve usability, longer durability. No more static support classes.
- Musical Strike/Slinging arrow attack improved.

Blacksmith:
- Smiths also increases passive damage (for the weapons it can use).

Rogue:
- Remove Bow penalty for backstab.
- Backstab doesn't turn around the target automatically.

Sage:
- Autocast uses lv5 spells instead of lv3.

In addition to these skills, I have plans on modifying second class quest skills and also implementing extended classes, nerfed on some areas and improved on others, to balance them with second classes.

Objections
- Combo monk may be too overpowered with these changes
- All these skill changes involve offensive damage, may need to improve deffensive capacity.

Audience
I'd place this server in west Europe or East North America, as its the population less granted by other private servers and asian countries have a lot of classic type servers. The goal is to make players able to play under 200ms.

#########################################################

These is in the theory. Any criticism or new ideas are welcome. But overall I want to keep it simple, playable and, more important, enjoyable.

Sorry for my English.
Quote from: exii on Jun 27, 2015, 06:07 AM
If you think casting quag is a good idea you or your guild heavily failed to create a viable guild rost.

OnimeNoKyo

send me a message if your server is ready(open)we will play thanks we are Looking for WOE PVP BG ancient old school server

Bullet

Hi,

It is said that original team of developers who made RO was booted out by some s*** new manager when Samsung bought over Gravity or something. And pending fixes for bugs & balancing issues were completely dumped & new team proceeded with newer episodes etc.

My point is the game is broken, while classic & even worse while trans.
It would be still broken if the original team remained because a long time needed to observe where the balance failed & how..

That being said,
I love RO, Classic  /lv & agree with most of your ideas of balancing issues. It is very much needed unless you love to see a server with 1hit(or currently 1st guys to hit) with EDP SB, ASURA & AD crap.

however,

Mechanics

+ Vit should give negative resistance to some stat, maybe will increase chance of being hallucination/sleep/chaos (max resistant up to 66% min duration 2 sec)
+ Agi or Luk should be given prominent for some status resistant (max resistant up to 66% min duration 2 sec)
+ Status recovery items like green pot & panacea should be like a usable kit (requires some interupp-able casting (2~4sec) to recover)
+ Should also allow direct direct stack trap/pillars (max 5), most of the mines skill should be boosted with additional status effect (reduce healing effect/Slow cast/hallucination/etc) nobody making use those trapping skills-its like a worthless s*** on the ground.
+ Donation of some sort might needed with limited benefit, trans equip like valk shield can be implemented for non trans.

Server features
+ never thought of such changes on rates as per level. Thats very good ! especially on the drop rate !
+ 0.1% card drop is sufficient as max.
+ new content added but the equip should be extended to non trans (no reduction of monster difficulty,it should be elite-reduced when proven to be too difficult in long run)
+ 50% is too much, 33% is ok - those lifeless grinders always spoil the game with 24 hour jobless gaming.(i got work to do man, but I love RO  /sob)

Weapons
+ Books need boost with autocast, but I can't figure the proper balance.
+ most importantly, higher level of weapon should be valued more ! why the heck comp bow [4] is better than Draculas Balista. A modifier of +ATK% on weapon should compound with weapon level.

Classes skills
I've aloooot of suggestion on these.
Not suitable to write an essay here,
mostly agree with yours but,
- Asura cap delay should be 70~50sec, 150sec is too long, hes not OP with that nerf.
- No Homun if bombs boost, or no bomb boost if capped Homun intro'ed (reduced stat growth or level cap as you suggested)
additionally
+ class combo card, those anolian,alligator,merman etc, for archers & all should enable soul link effect (only when equipped, penalty for unequing the set, stun 3 sec ?) Since soul linkers have no place in classic.
+ Signum Crucius -50% defence enemy mid range AoE with 33% chance on non demon/undead race.
+ Abra Cadabra SP reduction & removal of trick dead, etc.
+ Implement "Ragnarok" bard dancer ensemble skill.
+ Evasion from luk should block all skill & target spells (chance to block Bowling Bash/JT/Asura/DS/blitz beat, but not SG, LoV) evasion build is non existent & critical build is fancy mid to low difficulty pve use (with cap of 40 evasion? since you're going to sacrifice alot on ATK to achieve this anyway)

I've got tons of suggestion to balance the game,
there's alot of broken pieces need to be considered, like addressing....
~ Players that level & hunt with & for their characters should be rewarded more than lazy leechers & separate account(rogue) gear/item farmers.
~ More benefit for team players
~ balancing on boss cards

I'd be happy to be game content advisor for your server if you're serious on making one.
Very little or no scripting skills tocontribute, so if you have a beta server to test with I can contribute playing the CBT while your team (if you have one) to code it.

Strongly advice to run OBT with all changes clearly announced for a long time (with medium to high rate temporarily) before official release with wipes. Allows players to understand & gather to start on same time.

Most of my other ideas require deep scripting & core coding expertise,
please pm contact if like more ideas.

Bullet

Quote from: OnimeNoKyo on Nov 14, 2014, 05:26 PM
send me a message if your server is ready(open)we will play thanks we are Looking for WOE PVP BG ancient old school server
Are your group pinoy (typical)?
Lonely & looking for compatible group for classic low rate.

Suspension

I really like your point of view, I'll comment below

Quote from: Bullet on Nov 14, 2014, 05:38 PM
+ Vit should give negative resistance to some stat, maybe will increase chance of being hallucination/sleep/chaos (max resistant up to 66% min duration 2 sec)
I don't agree with this. Raising Vit makes you more vulnerable? Doesn't make sense to me.
+ Agi or Luk should be given prominent for some status resistant (max resistant up to 66% min duration 2 sec)
Maybe it should for balance purposes, but it would look like some silly renewal fix with no sense.
+ Status recovery items like green pot & panacea should be like a usable kit (requires some interupp-able casting (2~4sec) to recover)
Good idea.
+ Should also allow direct direct stack trap/pillars (max 5), most of the mines skill should be boosted with additional status effect (reduce healing effect/Slow cast/hallucination/etc) nobody making use those trapping skills-its like a worthless s*** on the ground
I just agree here.
Quote.
+ Donation of some sort might needed with limited benefit, trans equip like valk shield can be implemented for non trans.
My plan is to have those extended accounts as the main supporters for the server incoming, something like 10$ per month would greatly help even if very few make use of it.

Server features
+ new content added but the equip should be extended to non trans (no reduction of monster difficulty,it should be elite-reduced when proven to be too difficult in long run)
Personally I would like to keep it classic about equipment, but everything could be changed later.
+ 50% is too much, 33% is ok - those lifeless grinders always spoil the game with 24 hour jobless gaming.(i got work to do man, but I love RO  /sob)
It's not that much when you have to compete to lifeless players haha xP

Weapons
+ Books need boost with autocast, but I can't figure the proper balance.
As I said, I think boosting the ASPD is the better. Improves physical DPS and chance of bolts.
+ most importantly, higher level of weapon should be valued more ! why the heck comp bow [4] is better than Draculas Balista. A modifier of +ATK% on weapon should compound with weapon level.
I freakin' agree with you. I'd love to copy renewal here and make % cards only apply to weapon strengh. However, someone pointed to me that one of the beauties of RO is that the way you build your character has more impact than in other games, where the priority is the equipment.

Classes skills
- Asura cap delay should be 70~50sec, 150sec is too long, hes not OP with that nerf.
The problem here is that this environment would be classic, so a Monk is way slower than a Champion. Casting 5 spirit balls, fury, cast another 5 spirit balls and looking for another target would already passed those 70-50 sec. My idea is to make Asura a trully ending skill, and thus make the user choose wisely over who is going to waste those 2 and half minutes delay.
- No Homun if bombs boost, or no bomb boost if capped Homun intro'ed (reduced stat growth or level cap as you suggested)
In fact I would work on some method that you can have two builds, one with homun and one with bombing. But not together.
+ class combo card, those anolian,alligator,merman etc, for archers & all should enable soul link effect (only when equipped, penalty for unequing the set, stun 3 sec ?) Since soul linkers have no place in classic.
Classic = no combos :(
+ Signum Crucius -50% defence enemy mid range AoE with 33% chance on non demon/undead race.
These skills changes are already focused on offensive behavior. I think this would be bad.
+ Implement "Ragnarok" bard dancer ensemble skill.
I don't know what it is but somehow I think I read it somewhere.
+ Evasion from luk should block all skill & target spells (chance to block Bowling Bash/JT/Asura/DS/blitz beat, but not SG, LoV) evasion build is non existent & critical build is fancy mid to low difficulty pve use (with cap of 40 evasion? since you're going to sacrifice alot on ATK to achieve this anyway)
This is interesting. Would help critic builds and fury monks.

~ Players that level & hunt with & for their characters should be rewarded more than lazy leechers & separate account(rogue) gear/item farmers.
~ More benefit for team players
~ balancing on boss cards
The idea is to trully have everything on one account (male, female and @at characters without needing to change account), and thus disable dual clienting.

I'd be happy to be game content advisor for your server if you're serious on making one.
I would trully like discussing more changes, for sure!

Strongly advice to run OBT with all changes clearly announced for a long time (with medium to high rate temporarily) before official release with wipes. Allows players to understand & gather to start on same time.

Most of my other ideas require deep scripting & core coding expertise,
please pm contact if like more ideas.
Almost everything can be easily achieved.
If you think casting quag is a good idea you or your guild heavily failed to create a viable guild rost.

exii

Oh gawd..
This is why not everbody should open a server. Your whole concept ist based on f*** autohits and you think FE entrance defs are the major kind of gameplay regarding woe.

This flood of stupid changes overwhelming me so hard, I have no words.
exii - leader of the nonsense army

finest low quality gw2 streams: http://www.twitch.tv/exii_against_the_world

Bullet

Quote from: exii on Nov 15, 2014, 01:12 AM
This flood of stupid changes overwhelming me so hard, I have no words.
Good, you always had the right to remain silent.

exii

Quote from: Bullet on Nov 15, 2014, 01:21 AM
Good, you always had the right to remain silent.
Like you always had the right to release crap based on less experience.

OnimeNoKyo

yes we are why? (-) you have pinoy's server discrimination here?
we just want to play a decent old school server w/o abusing multi client party +10%exp for lvling bots ETC.
active WOE PVP and BG for fun.
Lonely kinda not able to play decent RO server is like S*** wasting my time looking for new low rate anciend old school server.

exii

dudewat?

need words to post this lel

Suspension

Quote from: exii on Nov 15, 2014, 01:12 AM
Not sure if troll or just "special". Anyway nobody would force you to join this :D

eKoh

I cannot count the amount of times that a server fails because they think they have the BEST server ever in mind. They spend all their time on developing this AMAZING server, but you know what happens then?...

The server never shows up, or it dies really soon...

If you want to implement those kind of things, it's ok, but, you will lack of motivation later, and also time, money, whatever.

If you really really want to do something like this, make a server 1st, make it stable with enough ppl playing it. After that, introduce the changes you want 1 by 1. I find this way much better to make it possible, otherwise if you keep working on all what you have posted, you will NEVER make it happens, I've seen it before a lot of times. You will only waste your time
We are a Pre-Renewal Midrate. Looking for the most
competitive
scene in Pvp, Mvp, and Hunting!

Grand Opening this July 15th!
Visit Aria-RO.com

exii

I totally disagree with this.
If I join a server and the admin planning to make it worse (imo) I would leave it because this is not what I came for.
Heavy modifyings like these are partly backsteps in episode history but most players wish to have progress while playing a server. Would be the same like you farmed a d.robe and this item is removed with the next patch.

Detailed planning never be that important as with those kind of servers.

Suspension

Quote from: eKoh on Nov 15, 2014, 11:08 AM
If you really really want to do something like this, make a server 1st, make it stable with enough ppl playing it. After that, introduce the changes you want 1 by 1. I find this way much better to make it possible, otherwise if you keep working on all what you have posted, you will NEVER make it happens, I've seen it before a lot of times. You will only waste your time

Worst advice ever. You shouldn't do drastic changes like these when the server is already live, you'll scare your current players and leave a bad reputation for future users.

If the server never shows up you're not wasting people time playing it. The best idea, for everybody, is to develop first, which doesn't have associated costs as server, advertising, etc, and doesn't waste people time.

The problem with nowadays servers is they don't offer nothing different and when they do, they are bad planned. That's why things have to be considered before rushing.

eKoh

I actually didn't read the features you say .

Now that I read them they are changing a lot of the gameplay, well, that's really dangerous, because most of the players are going to be affraid to join this, since it is very different of what we are used to play.

Just have that in mind, that's why people do not like customs, because they can change the way to kill mvps, Woe builds, etc.

And yes, introducing those kind of changes while running the server will make the server disappear haha.

But if you are going to open your server, you might not have it perfect when it starts, everything comes out with its V1.0, then the v1.1 comes, and it goes like that.
We are a Pre-Renewal Midrate. Looking for the most
competitive
scene in Pvp, Mvp, and Hunting!

Grand Opening this July 15th!
Visit Aria-RO.com