RO on a Mac (Book)

Started by Ravi D, Sep 19, 2011, 08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravi D

Okay so this is for my brother so any insight on this would be awesome!
I know RO can be played on a Mac, I've come across a few people who play it on one.
When it comes to Computers, I'm alright with them, them being windows. XD
But Macs. Nope.avi
So if any of you have a guide or know how to get it working on a Mac, please let me know. Danke Bitte in advance. <3

Strudel

Use Crossover games.
Or install Parallels. Or just use bootcamp.
Those are the only 3 options that'll not have major lags.

fallenone

Quote from: Strudel on Sep 19, 2011, 09:06 AM
Use Crossover games.
Or install Parallels. Or just use bootcamp.
Those are the only 3 options that'll not have major lags.
What are these exactly?
[color=limegreen]DejavuRO's[/color] [color=red]Grand Opening: [color=blue]12/16/11[/color][/color]

[color=maroon]Guild Package[/color]

-FallenOne
[email protected]

Strudel

Bootcamp is a software already implanted in every mac you buy nowadays.
-It basically allows you to install any windows XP SP2 or beyond on a newly assigned (via Bootcamp) partition. (Requires a working Windows installation cd)

Parallels is a software you have to buy or can use the trial version of.
-Parallels allows you to run Mac & Windows at the same time, different from Bootcamp as you have to restart the computer each time, difference is the speed in performance, obviously bootcamp is faster. (Requires a working Windows installation cd)

Crossover (games) is a software also available for purchase and I believe for trail as well.
-It's basically Parallels for games or specific applications only, but as mentioned above it's the same case here it'll be laggier than Bootcamp. Problematic is also starting it as some servers may cause problems especially those with Harmony.

fallenone

Quote from: Strudel on Sep 19, 2011, 07:14 PM
Bootcamp is a software already implanted in every mac you buy nowadays.
-It basically allows you to install any windows XP SP2 or beyond on a newly assigned (via Bootcamp) partition. (Requires a working Windows installation cd)

Parallels is a software you have to buy or can use the trial version of.
-Parallels allows you to run Mac & Windows at the same time, different from Bootcamp as you have to restart the computer each time, difference is the speed in performance, obviously bootcamp is faster. (Requires a working Windows installation cd)

Crossover (games) is a software also available for purchase and I believe for trail as well.
-It's basically Parallels for games or specific applications only, but as mentioned above it's the same case here it'll be laggier than Bootcamp. Problematic is also starting it as some servers may cause problems especially those with Harmony.
Do they have to have these running at all times when playing RO or just for installation?
[color=limegreen]DejavuRO's[/color] [color=red]Grand Opening: [color=blue]12/16/11[/color][/color]

-FallenOne
[email protected]

Strudel

Bootcamp isn't a program that needs to be run, it's a program for the installation of Windows OS onto your harddrive, what it does it allows you to partition your existing mac partition, then prepares it for Windows OS and then installs it onto there after restarting. Once installed all you need to do to access it is restart the mac, and press cmd during startup (black screen) and wait for the 2 partitions to show up, left side mac, right side windows, pick the one you like and start up, or don't press cmd at all and it'll start in mac as default.

Crossover (games) will be needed running the entire time, the same goes for parallels.

fallenone

Quote from: Strudel on Sep 19, 2011, 07:39 PM
Bootcamp isn't a program that needs to be run, it's a program for the installation of Windows OS onto your harddrive, what it does it allows you to partition your existing mac partition, then prepares it for Windows OS and then installs it onto there after restarting. Once installed all you need to do to access it is restart the mac, and press cmd during startup (black screen) and wait for the 2 partitions to show up, left side mac, right side windows, pick the one you like and start up, or don't press cmd at all and it'll start in mac as default.

Crossover (games) will be needed running the entire time, the same goes for parallels.
Wah... That means they need to buy those two programs, huh?

-FallenOne
[email protected]

Strudel

Yes. Unless they torrent them cracked versions. But we're all honest citizens here, aren't we. ;)

fallenone

Quote from: Strudel on Sep 19, 2011, 07:44 PM
Yes. Unless they torrent them cracked versions. But we're all honest citizens here, aren't we. ;)

Yeah, I agree with you...

P.S.
Can you give us a link of a safe place to download those cracked versions?

*wink*

-FallenOne
[email protected]

Strudel

I live in germany so therefore I don't risk it. I just use a separate desktop to play ro =/
I do have vista via bootcamp but else, sorry to disappoint you.

IbombYouAD

fallenone

Quote from: Strudel on Sep 19, 2011, 07:58 PM
I live in germany so therefore I don't risk it. I just use a separate desktop to play ro =/
I do have vista via bootcamp but else, sorry to disappoint you.

Did you buy a Windows Vista license for it?

Quote from: IbombYouAD on Sep 19, 2011, 08:11 PM
heres a guide on how to do it hope it helps

http://unreserved.eu/documents/how-to-play-ragnarok-online-on-mac-os-x.html

Is it free?

-FallenOne
[email protected]

Strudel

My friend owned a Windows Vista CD so I borrowed it.
If you'd have clicked the link he posted you'd have noticed that you need CrossOver games for it.

Link: http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/

fallenone

Quote from: Strudel on Sep 20, 2011, 06:23 AM
My friend owned a Windows Vista CD so I borrowed it.
If you'd have clicked the link he posted you'd have noticed that you need CrossOver games for it.

Link: http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/

Oh I see...

Yeah, I browsed it really quick on that same day and I found that one of the steps has CrossOver game on it. So, I questioned his suggestion if it's free because it seems like it was not.

In conclusion, playing RO on Mac OS is expensive because you have to buy those programs and a Windows license.

-FallenOne
[email protected]