BSOD IRQL_NOT _LESS_OR_EQUAL

Started by Felix90, Mar 01, 2010, 11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Felix90

Hello again to all you lovely support advice giving people. I hope you all can help me with this problem this time...

I have been running the most up to date software downloaded from this site for about a week now with no problems when all of the sudden... BAM! Blue screen.  I would like to know if anyone else out there has this problem with RO, if indeed RO is the cause.  I only think it is because it is the only new program I have run in that week.  I had a BSOD problem many years ago, but I don't remember if it correlated with the last time I was into RO.  Basically, I lost everything that time because my hard drive went bad.  This seems to be happening all over again and I just want to know... is RO a hard drive killer? Am I doing something wrong? Can I fix this in any way possible or should I just say screw it and get a new hard drive again and never play a game I truly enjoy again?

I would like any and all input, preferably helpful or explanatory rather than tearing me a new one for posting.  I hope to hear some replies soon. Thank you in advance and again... Please help if you can.

Felix

Pow

Quote from: Felix90 on Mar 01, 2010, 11:48 AM
Hello again to all you lovely support advice giving people. I hope you all can help me with this problem this time...

I have been running the most up to date software downloaded from this site for about a week now with no problems when all of the sudden... BAM! Blue screen.  I would like to know if anyone else out there has this problem with RO, if indeed RO is the cause.  I only think it is because it is the only new program I have run in that week.  I had a BSOD problem many years ago, but I don't remember if it correlated with the last time I was into RO.  Basically, I lost everything that time because my hard drive went bad.  This seems to be happening all over again and I just want to know... is RO a hard drive killer? Am I doing something wrong? Can I fix this in any way possible or should I just say screw it and get a new hard drive again and never play a game I truly enjoy again?

I would like any and all input, preferably helpful or explanatory rather than tearing me a new one for posting.  I hope to hear some replies soon. Thank you in advance and again... Please help if you can.

Felix

Hmm, interesting. This error has nothing really to do with RO, except that RO may be causing it - but not in the way you assume.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is generally caused by an overheating CPU, in which case you should get either your local IT professional to clean (Or replace, depending on the condition of) your fan, heat sink and maybe your Thermal adhesive.

However, if you get it again and there is a nice little hex code that comes in conjunction with the screen, feel free to add it here and I'll tell you what the underlying issue is.

-Pow
Divided we stand, together we fall.
There isn't any god that can save us all
So don't pray on your knees, just beg on your hands
There is no belief in this promised land

Temjin

Compounding upon Pow's advice, an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL can also be caused by a lot of unnecessary processes creating conflicts. I'm assuming you are using Windows XP as I write this. First of all, don't throw away a HDD if you can fix the problem on the software side.

On Windows XP, do the following steps...

1. Click Start --> Run. Type in "MSCONFIG".
2. When the MSCONFIG window loads, choose the "Startup" tab.
3. Click "Disable All". Select "Apply", then "OK".
4. After MSCONFIG is closed, restart your system. Upon your new XP boot, you will get a window telling you that you made changes to your system. Dismiss the window(there should be a checkbox for "Don't tell me this again"), and close it.
5. If prompted for a second restart, go for it.

What this does is disable all services, and upon boot, XP will automatically re-enable the services your system requires versus the ones you don't. If you don't get the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL again, then there you go. Problem solved. :P

Also, if you're using a laptop, and the abovementioned doesn't fix it, clean the cooling turbines carefully. Portable PCs are more prone to overheat damage(my laptop has a P4 HyperThreaded running at 2788 Mhz that used to run really hot), the cleaner they are, the better and longer they work. In either heavy 3D apps in XP or lots of processes on Linux, doesn't exceed 50C. Good luck. :P

EDIT: I forgot to mention I had this on a recent install of a free AV/Anti-Malware program. If you're running one, you should see if the abovementioned method fixes your problem. If it does, well...might want to ditch the "free" "anti" virus.

GorthexTiger

While I was doing some Technical Support on a server I no longer support, someone also came accross this issue and I believe it was fixed by modifying the graphic cards settings.

As soon as they went to start RO, the same type of problem that you mentioned happened.

While I think primarilly it may be that your CPU is overheating, check your Graphics card configurations, sometimes, (or so it seems) it can propagate the issue and cause more trouble in addition to whatever else is going on.
Read about the "Great Dramas" Part 1, Part 2, & Part 3

Felix90

Ok.  First. Thank you all fro your help and advice.  It comforts me greatly to know that I probably won't have to replace another dead hard drive.  At least hopefully, so long as the screens don't continue to come up frequently which I'm assuming might have caused my previous hard drive failure and not the other way around as I originally thought.  My system is a desktop and is running XP with service pack 3. It has a gig of RAM total, with two 512 MB ddr2 cards in a dual channel set up. Yeah I know not the best but I'm trying to find a good deal on memory.  It is one of the highest clocked pentium fours you could get, but I have not overclocked it at all.  The video card is a geforce I think 9800. I know it's a 9000 model of some sort. It is a gigabyte card though.

Next. Pow, I don't remember the code it showed but in general the numbers and letters in those seem to be random as far as I've noticed, unless you're talking about the very first set. in which case I think that set has in general been the same.  However it has not happened since I posted the message so I appologize for not having more for you there.

Temjin. Thanks for the command for that. I always forget what it was and things tend to pile up there.  However, I just got my computer back from the shop, a different problem there altogether..., and I am sure there isn't much running that I don't want to because I haven't installed anything but basics and a few extras.  But I will take a look and disable anything I see that shouldn't be there so thank you. 

And to you Gorthex. Thank you for your help too.  I checked my driver when I got it back from the shop but perhaps there is a better driver for my video card.

Finally, the overheating sounds like a very possible scenario since the last blue screen I had happen to me happened overnight when I left the computer on.  I woke up to the screen and I know for a fact that the game was not running, nor were any other programs.  But the computer was used quite regularly that day so the heat issue seems the most plausible.  I'll shut it down and see about blowing out some dust that may have gotten in there and look into your other suggestions. 

Again I cannot thank you guys enough for the input. I was really worried there that I had another bad hard drive.

Felix

GorthexTiger

I really think if it's a bad hard-drive...you'll start to suspect something...

Longer load times, sometimes, the OS will fail to load, starting to hear scratching from inside your HDD case, and in the final / extreme case (at least for me), right before mine died, it would begin to screech. D:
Read about the "Great Dramas" Part 1, Part 2, & Part 3

Temjin

Quote from: Felix90 on Mar 02, 2010, 12:15 PM
Temjin. Thanks for the command for that. I always forget what it was and things tend to pile up there.  However, I just got my computer back from the shop, a different problem there altogether..., and I am sure there isn't much running that I don't want to because I haven't installed anything but basics and a few extras.  But I will take a look and disable anything I see that shouldn't be there so thank you. 

No worries, mate. Anytime.

What ended up being the underlying cause, did you ever find out?

Felix90

It hasn't happened again since I posted. presumably since it's the middle fo the week and I'm not on it all day like I was this past weekend when they happened. So with that in mind I'm tending to go with the overheating of something, whether it be memory, cpu, hard drive I don't know. Probably cpu though.  I have a rather impressive heat sink compaired to what I've seen other computers have but I suppose I am rather demanding of my computer and RO might just be cranking up the heat so to speak.  

In any case I'm going to be a little easier on my equipment since it is getting kinda old, ^^; about 6 years now.  if anything comes up I'll be sure to update it here but hopefully the heat is the problem and by letting my computer cool off more sometimes the BSOD should be avoidable.

And Gorthex, I don't remember it exactly but the hard drive that went bad on my I believe started to whine a little more and had to look for things, so hopefully that won't happen here.  Since it's been in the shop recently it's been almost like new in it's performance, though new 6 years ago is probably nothing compared to new now. ^^; Still it's plenty fast enough for me, considering I still have to wait for my cable internet to give up the info, unlike my mother's computer which has the internet tapping it's foot at the router.

Once again thank you all for your help and insight. I'll be sure to keep you informed.

... Ok... F*** You karma!!! >.< I came home today to another blue screen. RO had not been touched all day and the computer had been shut off all night for a break.  I doubt sitting idle would have overheated the thing but I could be wrong... Either way I'm throwing my theory's out the window. I have no clue what's wrong with it.

As for the code, I got it jotted down this time. "Stop 0x0000000A (0x8D33F8B0 0x00000002 0x00000001 0x804E698E)"  I was under the impression the ones in the parenthesis referenced the failed memory access and could be variable but I don't know what it really is. Please help as apparently the problem has not been fixed. :/

Pow

Quote from: Felix90 on Mar 03, 2010, 12:02 PM
"Stop 0x0000000A (0x8D33F8B0 0x00000002 0x00000001 0x804E698E)"  I was under the impression the ones in the parenthesis referenced the failed memory access and could be variable but I don't know what it really is. Please help as apparently the problem has not been fixed. :/

The 3rd variable in the parenthesis is memory access, yes. And in this case, it is comes under error when it is under a "write" operation.

So I'm guessing you either have a slight memory issue which can be checked with Memcheck 86 or a piece of your hardware (Or it's drivers) are not communicating as it should. My first suggestion after using Memcheck to check your RAM to see if it's FUBAR'd, would be to download Driver Cleaner from here (It's clean, scan log can be given upon request - Uploaded it myself :3) and clean out your drivers.

Do not proceed with the above step until you're certain you have the right drivers to install, etc. If you need a hand finding them, I will be more than happy to help you.

-Pow

Temjin

If the RAM is definitely shot, at least memory doesn't cost an arm and a leg these days. 2GB of DDR2 is about $35 CAD in my neck of the woods.

Felix90

Wow... I suck. v.v Ok... so I tried to reinstall my video driver just as an additional precaution. Well... I messed it up somehow, or the new install didn't take when I did it because the display was all messed up.  Not like bad but different resolution etc.  So... I system restored to the checkpoint on Wednesday to re establish the driver. Well the driver returned, but when I went to open RO after that it won't start. It flashes the window frame for a split second but it has nothing inside.  Have you guys ever seen this? If so please help here too... v.v I'm sorry I seem to be such a screw up. I suppose I know just enough about computers to be dangerous. 

Things I've tried to get it working... I've uninstalled, deleted and reinstalled RO entirely from the downloads off of RMS.  When that didn't work I system restored to a date I knew RO worked for sure, Tuesday. Didn't work so I reinstalled again. Still didn't work so I went into the registry and found the gravity soft folder.  After exporting it to back it up I deleted it and tried another full uninstall and install. Still doesn't work.

I don't know what the problem is cause it doesn't tell me anything. :/ Please help me again. The driver appears to be the same as before I messed with it. I've tried hitting the update thing and it couldn't find anything better. I have downloaded the correct driver from Nvidia, which is what I tried to install and apparently failed miserably.

Pow

Quote from: Felix90 on Mar 05, 2010, 07:24 AM
Wow... I suck. v.v Ok... so I tried to reinstall my video driver just as an additional precaution. Well... I messed it up somehow, or the new install didn't take when I did it because the display was all messed up.  Not like bad but different resolution etc.  So... I system restored to the checkpoint on Wednesday to re establish the driver. Well the driver returned, but when I went to open RO after that it won't start. It flashes the window frame for a split second but it has nothing inside.  Have you guys ever seen this? If so please help here too... v.v I'm sorry I seem to be such a screw up. I suppose I know just enough about computers to be dangerous. 

This is an easy fix. Because you've installed new drivers, RO figures that the card you were using is no longer there. Go into your Gravity folder and see if you have "setup.exe". If you do not have this, go to RMS kRO client downloads and get the "Rag 03-25-2009 BGM & DLL Files" and extract them.

Open setup and under the first drop down menu, select your graphics card, and voila. If its not there, you may be required to reinstall graphics drivers/RO.

-Pow

Felix90

A friend of mine that runs the server I play on was trying to help me with that. Sadly it didn't work either. I had the setup thing, but ever since I installed it the first time (When it was working perfect.) my video card wasn't in the menu.  I just thought the 3D HAL thing was default and left it be since it worked fine.  I reinstalled the Nvidia drivers again this morning from the recommended download off the official site, restarted the computer and left RO to install once again. This time I put it in a different folder so hopefully between ensuring the drivers were correct and installing it to a new location with fresh downloaded programs it should work.  I did read something somewhere that said used downloaded installers didn't work for someone and only new downloads would.  I don't understand it but I hope this works.

Also, in relation to my blue screen problem. When I went to delete the ragnarok registry folder in hopes of fixing the new nonstart problem I noticed data memory codes.  If one of these correlates to the memory code in the blue screen numbers could this be the cause of my stop errors? I'm not versed in registries or memory codes so really I'm just speculating with what little I know. :/ So sorry if I'm being dumb.

Well with a combination of things I somehow managed to get it working again.  Thank you for your help with that matter. ^^; Sadly my screens are still a problem. v.v

I have another code from the screen though it is nearly identical to the first.

0x0000000A (0x8D61AF50 0x00000002 0x00000001 0x80515B6B)

Also it seemed to lag really bad just before the screen. Perhaps I do not have enough memory? I have a gigabyte of ram. dual channel with two 512's.

Pow

Just out of curiosity, do you have your Windows XP installation disk?

-Pow

Felix90

I do but since I just got the computer back from the shop it was a fresh install. Is that why you ask?