This is driving me crazy!

Started by Dahnte, Feb 24, 2013, 02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dahnte

Hey everyone!  I deeply apologize if this is in the wrong spot.  Please don't hate me if it is!   /??

I used to play RO back in alpha and early beta before it become subscription only.  I had always heard about free RO servers but never really got interested in it at the time.  It's been ages since I even thought about RO but a friend and I were talking about it and it really hit me right in the nostalgia.  Wanting to re-experience some of the stuff I did back in 2001ish time frame, I decided, well, why not?  How hard could it be to install and run a private server?

I'm using eAthena, which I got from here (r15001).  Setting up the mySQL database was easy enough (though I'm still not sure if I should run all the updated .sql files or not, nothing tells me one way or the other) and configuring the server was a snap.  All three servers run fine when I run the .bat files.  Cool, I thought, it won't be long before I'm running around Prontera and just basking in old memories.

However, the client has not been good to me.   Maybe this is part of my problem, but to try and save time and avoid downloading 14 different files to unzip into one folder, I decided to snag the DreamRO full client and install it/patch it.  Then I went and added the config file to connect to the data\ folder.  There was an exe.exe to run which does list my private server.  Cool, I thought, this is easy peasy.  But alas, when I double click on my server name and type in my account (which does exist in the SQL database) it gives me this:

Without fail.  Every time.  At first I thought it was a misconfiguration on the server, so I shut that down and basically reinstalled/reconfigured everything.  Tried again.  No dice. 

So now I'm wondering if it's a client error.  If it is, how do I go about fixing this!?  I figured having the most up to date files via DreamRO would mean I would have the latest kRO stuff already done.  Am I wrong in this assumption??

After several hours of trying various things, I'm really at a total loss of what I've done wrong or how I go about fixing it.   I know iRO is free to play now but I just don't have hours and hours to spend grinding xp these days.  That's one of the reasons I even considering doing this.  We could mess around with the various jobs at various levels and go to any zone we want at any time.  I'm really anxious to get this working right.

Please help if you know of a solution!   /sob

yC

Your server might not like the client exe it is connecting with.  There's client version and packet version that need to match on both client and server sides I believe.  But I don't know the details of it, it is best that you poke around the rA forum or wiki.  http://rathena.org/wiki/Connecting#Client_Side

We don't provide support to creating server, we leave these questions to eA/rA because the experts are all there.  Moving this to .. somewhere else.

Anyway, if you want to get back the old ro feel I think you can just search for a server and get onto it.  Without a community it will not feel the same.

Dahnte

Thanks. 

I just realized there's a difference between eAthena and rAthena.  I've got rAthena running now and the database dumped/redone for it.  Now it doesn't give me that debug box, it just hangs the client on the "please wait" message where it would normally load the spot where you select/make your characters.  So still at a loss. :\

I'm going to crosspost this on the rAthena forum and hopefully find a solution.

As for why we don't just hop onto another server (we might, if I can't fix this).. it's mainly because I'm more interested in just adding random items/weapons/armors/changing jobs whenever/testing stuff out.  Almost like just debugging/sandboxing/doing whatever we want, rather than playing it fully legit.  I'm not sure if there's any private servers out there that let players act as GMs (or have GM-like powers) but I'm guessing not.

Triper

You forgot that using files from another server sometimes don't work if they made changes on the client to just work with their exe.

There are tons of possible ways to change how things work that just "injecting" an exe and expect it to work fails. Examples can be as simple as encryption on the core grfs, changing the name/place of dlls+hexing the exe and other stuff to make the files work fine with their server but fails on your own.

My advice is to get a proper kRO full client and start toying it from there with the help of rathena/eathena/etc forums/wikis.

yC

Take way the debug/sandbox part, if you want a set of commands like @item, @job, @warp, summon monsters etc but without commands that let you abuse other players (like a real bad gm), you could try the RMS test server http://play.ratemyserver.net/ragnarok/index.php