Anyone from EternityRO?

Started by Akasuna, Aug 11, 2011, 07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adastra

I'm a little bit puzzled about the situation with EternityRO.
I understand some of the developers/gm decided to back off from the project and I understand that Karei can't pull it off by himself.
He must have lots of stuff to do with school, real life etc.

I don't believe that Karei had some kind of school project about showing how easy it is to mislead people.
Let's say that i'm trying to sell you a car. You are gonna buy it.. Suddenly I stop making contact to you and you'll never hear about the car again.
That doesn't proove anything. That's just stupid.

I don't have any expectations of EternityRO anymore. Slowly my interest in RO has been fading anyway.
If Somehow EternityRO opens , I'll go there and try, but I'm not waiting for it anymore.

Playtester

Well Karei isn't a developer at all, he is a marketing person. He studied marketing tactics and all that. That's also his "school project" that people talked about. He made an analysis on how to get lots of players on a private server with the use of various psychological tricks as his thesis. It was a pretty good read, nothing like "Hahaha I fooled you all", Karei is pretty smart actually when it comes to marketing, but as long as he doesn't have competent developer that execute his masterplans, he can't do much.

adastra

Yeah, I have nothing against Karei. I'm pretty sure that he did all he could.  But when the team falls apart, everything falls apart.

Peanut

I was there, too
long long time ago if i remember right then i was a Clown names "Marco"

HuiJun

Marco the clown? Did you ever play ParadiseRO too? On topic, I played Eternity v1 for a few days. I think I remember leeching yC at Thors. Then I heard and saw proof of dumbass GMs and I left for good.

Quote from: Loki on Nov 11, 2008, 12:01 AM
You're one slick gal, JJJ.

Playtester

Edit: Removed post.
If you are looking for a server like eRO just PM me. :-)

yC

You can call Karei is good at "marketing", I just call that "manipulating".  Yes he's good with playing with people's mind, make them do things to his advantage.  Maybe he don't like me because I am not one of his audience.  If my memory is still serving me right, I still have this impression of him writing paragraphs after paragraphs in our email exchange.  Many of the writings are meaningless and "feelingless" to me (or at my position) but in the end he just try to tell me to do things that benefits him.  I could easily write paragraphs and paragraphs to counter his paragraphs.  I think Riotblade (he worked with Karei at one point) once said we are the same kind of person and that's why we don't get along at all.

It's like if you are his players, they he's your team leader and you'll listen to him invite friend / donate / vote etc all he has to do is to talk like it is "necessary".  In my case, I am not his player.  It is not "necessary" for me to do anything for him under any situation.  Then he became the insurance salesman and I have to stay defensive.

That's as simple as I can explain it.  Nothing personal, he's good at talking I'll give him that.

HuiJun?  Haven't hear from you in years?  Anyway, I think it was paradise ro (with JJJ being the pink novice sitting in Prontera) that I leeched you? I don't recall playing on Eternity at all.   

Playtester, you do sound like driving people to leviathanro ... is that server related to the old eternity staff team?

Playtester

Well, I'm not really related to that server, but the server owner is an old eRO player and he kinda wanted to make a server just like eRO and he sure has a lot of potential since he's good at programming and stuff. And there are currently no real close-to-official servers except 1x rate servers, pre 2-1 servers or 5+ year old servers with good staff, so I'm kinda curious on how that'll evolve and think it was worth mentioning.

QuoteYou can call Karei is good at "marketing", I just call that "manipulating".
Being good at marketing means being good at manipulating, doesn't it? How do you want to get 5000 players on your server without using unfair tricks?

wireless

Quote from: Playtester on Jan 21, 2013, 05:05 PM
Well, I'm not really related to that server, but the server owner is an old eRO player and he kinda wanted to make a server just like eRO and he sure has a lot of potential since he's good at programming and stuff. And there are currently no real close-to-official servers except 1x rate servers, pre 2-1 servers or 5+ year old servers with good staff, so I'm kinda curious on how that'll evolve and think it was worth mentioning.

It looks like he dumped his old server to make that one, and is now making big changes after a month because the turnout wasn't what he had hoped for... I don't really see any potential there :/

Playtester

Actually it's pretty much what he expected already. His goal is to have a close-to-official RO server with is slightly higher rates than official servers and a few convenience changes without any gamebreaking customs and he accepted to sacrifice all the mid-rate / custom players for it. He is also in contact with the guild leaders from EternityRO, though they kinda want him to wipe he fears of losing reputation from doing so (since he actually wants to create a never-wipe server).

I kinda hope it works out, because right now there are really no low rate server with good staff and a no-customs policy (for which I really liked EternityROv2 to stay on-topic) except iROnic which is 1x rates. With the changeover he pretty much offers what nobody else offers and that's be pretty neat. Would just need players then.

Edit: He decided to wipe after all to get bigger guilds to join.

Thoth

Quote from: Playtester on Dec 12, 2012, 07:49 AM
He always cares about his servers unlike many other server owners who just launch it and then stop caring. He still needs good and reliable developers (paid) and this is actually the main reason why he closed the servers and didn't open v4 yet. He won't start anything until he is 99% sure his project will be a success.

if only he were that calculating. the drama that killed v3 was just another example of GM egomania, fueled by @items on his "legit" woe characters. a stupid move, but people do stupid things when high on power. especially when they think they can get away with it.
the server didn't close for a few months after that, but it was more undead than alive during that time.

Playtester

Actually it wasn't quite like that.

He created items with @item on a merchant and then put them on vending. He did that because one guild was dominating due to having stronger equips while the other guilds had problems even getting those items. He did that to balance WoE.

Thoth

it was like that. when karei's prof didnt die in woe because he was wearing aesprika and junk, other gms investigated, all hell broke loose, everyone threw the hate on karei, and the major woe guilds all left the server.
far less calculating than the @item availability scheme (item rarity is truly poisonous to a server)

wireless

Amnesia and Sinergy had already left the server before that stuff with the prof. I think that was Karei's attempt to make that guild stronger to give the others more competition so they wouldn't leave too, but the players weren't as dumb as he thought.

Playtester

On the one hand players want balanced and fun WoE on the other hand manual corrections from the admin are disliked. =D