RMS Home | Guide Writing | New Servers | Latest Reviews

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
I've developed some opinions but overall I love the server, here's my thoughts on it as a week old newbie /ok.

Pros
- Great class rebalancing, allowing for build diversity and some of the weaker classes are stronger now. The ones that aren't are planned to receive buffs.
- Partying has been incentivized with tap bonuses and other bonuses, meaning you'll find parties from 11 to 99 and never have to go it alone if you don't want to.
- Population is growing, most are American but it's slowly becoming more of a melting pot.
- WoE scene is still growing and guild competition is good due to the roster system.
- Server still feels like it's in the Spring of it's life, it's early episodically and trans isn't for another year so it's a comfortable start and I don't feel rushed. There isn't this huge looming pressure over you that you're late to the party, you feel right on time.
- Quite a lot of QoL changes while still keeping a classic feel, and for 1x it really doesn't feel that slow.... however you will absolutely notice the 1x drops.
- GMs and CMs are very active.
- Events, while sparse, are GM hosted and seem to be a lot of fun. I've only seen one in the week I've been here but it was a good time, and there seems to be a Summer event coming soon.
- Quite a bit of custom content, including a few new maps and mobs to fight.
- Old Payon is the main town, and I love Old Payon.

Mixed
- Server has no costumes aside from a few promotional ones and gear that can turn into costumes, making it look very bland. Good for the classic feel but really not my taste.
- An excessive amount of zeny sinks, even the stylist costs money. Good for the economy but as a new player I feel very discouraged by how costly it is to do... really anything. The phrase "Nothing in life is free" really holds true here.
- Soloing is extremely discouraged. No dual clienting + no real access to AB buffs(I'd kill for a 30 minute inn AB buff, this server has every other zeny sink in the world but that one), so you can't really solo how you usually would. Isn't a big problem for me but might be for some people who don't want to be forced to socialize, party, etc. I outright would discourage you from playing on this server if you prefer playing solo.
- Day/Night cycle. I personally hate Day as it's very bright and hurts my eyes, I wish it'd be permanent night, but some people probably like this.

Cons
- Somewhat Unfriendly community. If you enable #main you'll notice a good chunk of what's said there is insults/arguing, and a good amount of parties devolve into petty arguments. If you make a mistake, don't be surprised if you're kicked from the party for it. There are definitely a lot of kindhearted people, but after a week I've seen enough vitriolic behavior to at least acknowledge it.
- Just a personal gripe, The stylist costing tons of money and it being separated into 3 NPCs is awful. Nothing like spending 99k on a Stylist Coupon only to realize the hairstyle you wanted has a bugged palette with the hair color you have. Pretty soul-crushing.
- No scaled chat/UI. I don't have super good sight and everything is very small and difficult to read. Only a few servers have this QoL change but it's definitely a negative for me that Oath doesn't.

Closing Thoughts
I really like the server, I think the new player experience could use some work and I definitely think Inn Buffs (30 Minute AB) would allow for soloists to still play the server due to the dual-client ban, but I don't solo much so it doesn't bother me. Overall if you like party content, like WoE, want a pretty fresh server with lots of QoL and balance changes, I can't recommend it enough.
Server Discussion / Re: Oathro don't lie
« Last post by Sairek Ceareste on Today at 02:21 am »
Why are you making multiple threads? You already made this one not even 24 hours ago: https://forum.ratemyserver.net/rant-and-rave/oathro-it-s-a-garbage-server

You also didn't answer my question there, either.  /hmm
For someone who makes such a claim, who is apparently receiving special treatment? You have to know who if you apparently know we're giving someone special treatment (again, news to me).

yC, may I ask to lock this thread please? It's fine to have criticisms or opinions on our server whether that criticism is true or not, but it's abusive and disingenuous to have someone spam the forums with multiple topics bad-mouthing the server without even replying to any rebutle to the claims in the first thread, let alone claiming such a thing without actual evidence.
Server Discussion / Oathro don't lie
« Last post by asdf12345 on Today at 01:24 am »
do you lack comprehension??
There is nothing wrong with banning dual clients.
The problem is that your CM or GM is kind enough to allow dual clients to those close to you. 
Don't lie you're not clean
Server Discussion / Re: Pre renewal official server
« Last post by Xellie on Yesterday at 04:42 pm »
I feel like that's exactly the opposite of what people actually want.

I'd like pre-renewal, with renewal content :D
Server Discussion / Re: Is banning a multi-client stupid?
« Last post by Xellie on Yesterday at 04:41 pm »
Xellie, I want to point out that on official servers no multi-clienting was mostly enforced by the game being P2P. Not many people could afford to pay more than $15 a month to play a game, and thus most people didn't multiclient and there were many many people looking for priests to party with.

Assassin are good mobbers in parties because they have high flee and thus are not stopped when attacked most of the time. They can also take the role of tank in most regions.

Also a server with mostly party-loving players usually wouldn't mind even partying up with new players. If there's no multiclienting, you can also remove some restrictions such as Exp share limit which makes it even easier to party (this is what I'd do if I made a server, keep the rates at 1x but Exp Share without limit, but admittedly I didn't see any other server do that yet).

But as said this does not depend so much on if multi-clienting is allowed or not, but rather on how competitive a server is. No competition means that all players just play for fun.

And it can be fun to party up with a new player and show him around. Or just go to some easier regions where you need the drops in (such as hunting Stems as you mentioned).

I feel like many RO players are just purely competitive and never really experience how it is like to just party for fun.

mobbing is boring. Exclusively mobbing is boring. Any class can mob if they have good ping. Walking isn't fun gameplay. It might be fun once or twice, or trying to mow your friends down while laughing at them on voice (until they get mad) - but you can't seriously tell me that making class just to mob is fun and not dumb minmaxery.

Wanting to do gameplay that is more than walk in circles for 3 hours, or just clicking one skill isn't about not playing for fun... it's about being over that repetitiveness.

There is nothing more boring for a priest (IMO) than just following around an assassin and healing and buffing them occasionally - the only good priest + thing parties are with wizards (no bragi), sometimes hunters. Everything else is buffbot roleplay, until you reach levels like bio3.

It's not about wanting to level fast... I'd do thana/thor/bio even if the exp was nuked to 0.5% of normal, it's about changing up the gameplay from the norm, and using all your hotkeys, or at least half your keyboard. Fun doesn't have to be epic levels of casual.

Try playing league of legends or dota for "fun" the same way people talk about "fun" in RO and see what happens.

New players can't depend on the off-chance of someone being bored enough to search newbie maps to find someone to help. idk about anyone else, I used to do that a lot, and most the time you spend more time looking for a newbie!  When the population is 90% over 90, the older players and the newbies (as few and far between as they come) have a hard time crossing paths. It's for that reason you need to send veterans to newb maps to hunt materials. I can't stress how important the cross interaction of veterans and new players is.

re: multiclient and the fee; no, a LOT of people I knew had hexed their client to run a second one. Especially for shenanigans like farming LoD. And if you balance the game around college student age spending, I'm not sure that's a good plan for anyone, even gravity.

If I dare mention my proposed solution to the actual problems I see caused by multiclient, it basically involves limiting clients on specific maps. Any map with an MVP or next to an MVP should be limited to no more than 2 clients. Same for dungeons. Have w/e you like in town or on maps like goats. There are half way solutions to everything, but if this was a problem I was addressing, it would be focused purely on partying, because I feel that multiclient prevalence is a symptom, not a cause. 

« Last post by Sairek Ceareste on Yesterday at 04:18 pm »
I'm not gonna say it to be mean, but there's a reason I don't play Oath.

And that is because I hate being forced into social interaction

"But why are you playing an MMO then?"

I didn't say no interaction!

Anyway, I like that you're solving some of the things - but I'd like to know how me, someone who likes to play assassin, is going to be wanted in parties without playing a mobber that any class can do that. Some classes are just literally designed to play alone. They get hit by a huge disparity or left behind in comparison to groups (that's the choice of playing alone, but takes the class out of being wanted).

There's also... what do you do when new/low level players/new char players dry up? People who are stuck without parties in the "unfun" section of the game (I don't find much below around level 85 to be fun because of burnout I guess).

There are a lot of things that multiclienting solve that I just wanna see answers to.

Also I'm 100% accepting that it's a playstyle people might like or prefer. I don't really nostalgia seek for that era, I've done kicking rocks so I can kick bigger rocks to death, multiple times, on 1x without multi. I've never made a b**** slave priest. I just level things solo until I reach engaging party level (thana/bio/nid/thor) but anything before that (to party) is boring af to me.  (Fyi soloing to me really is just running my HP in town for warps and endowing myself, I never do the autofollow train because walking is frustrating and boring to me. Idk how the multi client train people do it. I'd be bored in 3 mins and I find it... inefficient.)

tbh, it gets dull after a while - hence each to their own. That is the point, right?

But I'll full stand my ground against anyone who says multiclient is the reason partying dies. Cuz it's not. There's a plethora of issues that cause that to happen and blaming multiclients is lazy and poorly thought out.

(btw honest opinion on the alchemist plat skill - that's great but people who play other classes need to take them materials to get their items made too. So unless they make an alche (time drain) they will drain time on mats. Just a thought. It's a good direction you're going in tho :) )

On official servers, being able to multi-client back in the subscription model was basically pay to win. The more money you had to spend, the more advantage you had. If the game was designed for that, well, that kinda sucks, because not everyone can afford that. Kind of like why current official RO is garbage. You aren't able to get the full experience if you're not ripping out your credit card; and just being able to brute force your way through everything isn't very rewarding in my opinion, either.

But either way, you are not being forced into social interaction on OathRO. You can play solo just fine -- I do it; I'm a mostly solo player. I'm probably far more behind than other people, but I only play a few hours of RO a week except for that time I pushed for level 99 baby mage in 16 days. Now I play even less than before since I had a tornado roll through my city last month; understandably, that has caused my life priorities to shift a fair bit. We've made dungeons and custom mobs and dungeons to cater to solo/small parties, and I believe the Payon Catacombs that will be coming very soon will also cater towards that too, for players in the mid-game range. There's plenty of solo players on the server who are actually more ahead in a lot of things than even the people who live in parties; probably because they are getting several times more loot for only a smaller portion of less EXP.

That said, I still want to focus on the solo/small party experience even more as well, but on a more grander, adventure-esque scale, which isn't really in RO (from my experience anyway).

I've been personally drafting up a huge self-contained quest line that probably won't see the light of day for a long time where the player goes to investigate a city that had been destroyed by a plague; but now, despite the city being quarantined and its destruction, is having the plague that once destroyed it, somehow transcending through time itself into the present day.
To stop the plague, the player will need to travel back through the city's history in its final year through the four seasons back and forth, as well as investigate its ruins in the present day, in an attempt to investigate how the plague happened, what the cause is, and find out how to stop it before it wreaks havoc both in the past as well as the present.

I want the max party size to be only 2~3 people because investigating an entire quest line with up to 12 people seems weird and the entire premise is to do the investigation but incognito style anyways. Solo or a small group could get away with it, but not a dozen adventurers suddenly popping up out of the blue. Also, there will be an NPC that will be helping them (ideally through mercenary AI) that will be supporting them through some combat sections, so that will help make it easier to balance, even if a player goes in solo (assuming I can get it all to work together).

Basically, I want to make solo(ish) content that feels and plays like small party content, with dialogue choices so it makes it feel like the NPCs you are with are genuine people, and have it be very roleplay heavy where your choices can affect details of how things play out. I want it to be more than just sending you on an errand to do something alone, as the main NPCs will genuinely accompany you since you are all invested into this thing together.
That isn't going to be very easy to make of course. However, I'll also be able to make the same maps and basically recycle them five-ish times with changing things here and there, with the seasons and time change helping differentiate them all cosmetically, so it's not totally out of impossibility. I'm even making some custom music for this thing that hopefully sound good to people.

That said, I have still yet to learn how to make maps for RO (one of the staff is able to teach me if I ask), but I'd rather make the story first and then plot out mapping ideas afterwards, because from my time of making maps in Mirror's Edge, and even in writing itself, I've learned that making something can be like laying down cement, and it's very hard to remove or change something after you've already built the world around without affecting the entire thing. It can be very easy to make the mistake of just making something, have a better idea days or weeks later after you've already built everything else around that initial idea, and then get stuck in a loop where you're constantly changing things to accommodate and making no progress; potentially making everything worse than if you had just let the cement settle instead of ripping it apart.
« Last post by Styx on Yesterday at 03:50 pm »
Xellie, I want to point out that on official servers no multi-clienting was mostly enforced by the game being P2P. Not many people could afford to pay more than $15 a month to play a game, and thus most people didn't multiclient and there were many many people looking for priests to party with.

Well, you are completely wrong here Playtester, there was only a short delay in offering multiclient from Gravity and that was only because they had problems in that time to secure the connection to do so. Internet wasn't quite stable as it is today. There wasn't much of payment required either by that time. Actually, Gravity learned in time from pservers how to collect the money for this game.
So, the game was designed on purpose for multiclient and if you pay attention to follow the thoughts from Minsoo Lee, head designer from gravity in the early days. He would never choose a direction to exclude players for any reason. His approach was entertainment and bend anything in that direction. This even might going beyond what you could imagine but give it some attention. You have skills enough, eliminate the decision, free your mind. Minsoo left somewhere after 10.2 and the game slowly degraded afterwards and when finally Renewal came it was all a different game at once. So, seek out history, it is there just to retrieve and find out what the designers had in mind. Then again, it is free for everyone to seek a different direction to make this game work and maybe it will work today with just one client only, I doubt it will work because the game was never designed for that purpose and you probably have to tweak it sooner or later heavily getting it working in that direction, even Origins did so. That doesn't mean a new idea couldn't work out well. It's their call. Then don't try to humiliate Xellie, with fake facts. Do your research seriously.
Rant and Rave / Re: Oathro, It's a garbage server.
« Last post by Shuchou on Yesterday at 02:43 pm »
So you were caught breaking a rule and crying about it on RMS that you were banned for dual clienting... "Rocket scientists" these days are amazing  /heh
Server Discussion / Re: Pre renewal official server
« Last post by Playtester on Yesterday at 01:36 pm »
Renewal, but without content.
I feel like that's exactly the opposite of what people actually want.
« Last post by Playtester on Yesterday at 01:34 pm »

Assassin are good mobbers in parties because they have high flee and thus are not stopped when attacked most of the time. They can also take the role of tank in most regions.

Also a server with mostly party-loving players usually wouldn't mind even partying up with new players. If there's no multiclienting, you can also remove some restrictions such as Exp share limit which makes it even easier to party (this is what I'd do if I made a server, keep the rates at 1x but Exp Share without limit, but admittedly I didn't see any other server do that yet).

But as said this does not depend so much on if multi-clienting is allowed or not, but rather on how competitive a server is. No competition means that all players just play for fun.

And it can be fun to party up with a new player and show him around. Or just go to some easier regions where you need the drops in (such as hunting Stems as you mentioned).

I feel like many RO players are just purely competitive and never really experience how it is like to just party for fun.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10