Guide: Official Status Resistance Formulas (Pre-Renewal)

Started by Playtester, Mar 22, 2013, 05:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Playtester

Since official status resistances will soon be fully official on rAthena, I thought I'll write a guide about them, so players can adjust their builds accordingly.

General Info
I'll focus this guide on only the formulas and the special cases that previously weren't well known already. In the formulas "src" stands for source of the status change and "tar" stands for target of the status change. Usually source is the person who did cast a skill to give a status change, however, it can also be yourself for example when an item you equipped curses you. Status changes that have no source can't be resisted at all (for example NPC given ones).
Chance is written in 1000 = 100%. So if the resulting value is "1" that would mean there is a 0.1% chance to get afflicted.
Duration is in milliseconds (1000ms = 1 seconds).

Stone Curse
- Chance = BaseChance - BaseChance * tarMDEFItem / 100 + srcBaseLevel - tarBaseLevel - tarLuk
- Duration is always 20000ms (second phase)
Notes: The only thing that has changed is that base levels and Luk have an effect on the chance. As the reduction from Luk is a linear -0.1% per Luk, it has a huge impact on lower base chances.

Freeze
- Chance = BaseChance - BaseChance * tarMDEFItem / 100 + srcBaseLevel - tarBaseLevel - tarLuk
- Duration = BaseDuration - BaseDuration * tarMDEFItem / 100 + 10 * srcLuk
- Default base duration = 12000ms
Notes: Chance is the same as for stone curse. Interesting here is that the duration can't be reduced by the target's Luk, but instead the duration can be increased by the source's Luk. In other words, a Wizard with high Luk can make you freeze longer. The amount is pretty neglectable, though (at 100 Luk it will only be 1 second longer). Due to the strong nature of Luk on lower base chances, just 1 Luk is enough to resist the self-freeze from Ice Falchion, which effectively means you can only be frozen by it, if you have 0 Luk (Cursed).

Stun / Silence / Bleeding
- Chance = BaseChance - BaseChance * tarVit / 100 + srcBaseLevel - tarBaseLevel - tarLuk
- Duration = BaseDuration - BaseDuration * tarVit / 100 - 10 * tarLuk
- Default duration: 5000ms (Stun), 30000ms (Silence) and 120000ms (Bleeding)
Notes: To achieve full resistance to the status change you need a combination of Vit and Luk. The lower the base chance, the more effective Luk gets, while on higher base chances Vit is more important.

Sleep
- Chance = BaseChance - BaseChance * tarInt / 100 + srcBaseLevel - tarBaseLevel - tarLuk
- Duration = BaseDuration - BaseDuration * tarInt / 100 - 10 * tarLuk
- Default duration: 30000ms
Notes: Same as above, just that Vit is replaced by Int. Due to the nature of Luk's high effect on low base chances, you can perfectly resist Alice Doll's self-sleep with only 1 Luk. Similar to freeze, you need to be cursed to be affected by it at all.

Poison / Heavy Poison
- Chance = BaseChance - BaseChance * tarVit / 100 + srcBaseLevel - tarBaseLevel - tarLuk
- Duration against monsters: 30000 - 20000 * tarVit / 100
- Duration against players: 60000 - 45000 * tarVit / 100 - 100 * tarLuk
Notes: Resistance is similar to stun, silence and bleeding, however duration works a bit differently. Poison duration on monster is 30000ms which can be reduced to 10000ms. For players the duration is 60000ms which can be reduced to 15000ms, but can be reduced strongly by Luk as well (10 Luk = 1 second less duration).

Blind
- Chance = BaseChance - BaseChance * (tarInt + tarVit) / 200 + srcBaseLevel - tarBaseLevel - tarLuk
- Duration = BaseDuration - BaseDuration * (tarInt + tarVit) / 200 - 10 * tarLuk
Notes: No surprises for blind. The resistance is a combination of Int and Vit and 100 Int / 100 Vit would half the chance/duration and you need both at 100 to perfectly resist it. Again, you also have a linear reduction to the chance from Luk.

Curse
- Chance = BaseChance - BaseChance * tarLuk / 100 + srcBaseLevel - tarLuk
- Duration = BaseDuration - BaseDuration * tarVit / 100 - 10 * tarLuk
- If you have 0 Luk, you are immune to curse
Notes: Curse is particularly interesting, because it's very hard to resist. Not only do you need Luk to reduce the base chance, the chance to be inflicted by it also increases by 0.1% every base level of the caster (or yourself in case of cursed equips). That mean you'd always need more Luk than the source's base level to actually reduce the base chance rather than increase it. This is particularly important for Muramasa and Cursed Brooch. If you don't get any Luk the chance to be inflicted at level 99 will be 9.8% higher than on level 1! It is probably easier to just drop the duration of curse to a minimum. Keep in mind that you will still be inflicted by curse in that case, the duration will however be only 1ms. Since curse is hard to resist and drops Luk to 0, it is also the key to remove full status resistances of other status changes. One special case is that if your Luk is 0, you can't be cursed. You can achieve 0 Luk by having a class with a low Luk job bonus and equipping a Green Maiden Card or certain other equips that reduce Luk when equipped (e.g. Ledger of Death).

Confusion
- Chance = BaseChance - BaseChance * (tarStr + tarInt) / 200 - srcBaseLevel + tarBaseLevel + tarLuk
- Duration = BaseDuration - BaseDuration * (tarStr + tarInt) / 200 - 10 * tarLuk
Notes: The formula is very "confusing" here. If you look closely, you see that the sign is reversed on the effect of base level and Luk. That means confusion works best if the source is low level and the target is high level and the more Luk the target has, the higher the chance that the target is afflicted with confusion. This, combined with the fact that you need a combination of Str and Int for resistance (similar to how it works for Blind), makes confusion alongside with curse very hard to resist. Unlike curse however, Luk has a negative impact. Targets will either be very weak to curse (low Luk) or to confusion (high Luk).

Bue

Playtester

In renewal many formulas have been changed (not implement on any emulator yet, though).

In case you want to implement it for your renewal server, so far the changes I know of are:
Bleeding: Vit -> Agi
Sleep: Int -> Agi
Silence: Vit -> Int
(yeah it's pretty stupid, isn't it?)

Triper

That's a lot of work D: Kudos for you for this.

I don't even want to imagine the work for the skills.

RoseTea

Quote from: Playtester on Mar 22, 2013, 07:25 AM
In case you want to implement it for your renewal server, so far the changes I know of are:
Bleeding: Vit -> Agi
Sleep: Int -> Agi
Silence: Vit -> Int
(yeah it's pretty stupid, isn't it?)
How is that at all stupid?  Please actually explain why you think that to me, because it seems like a solid change to me, or at least not making anything worse.  It implies that Vit isn't the end-all be-all for every single status resist anymore.  Renewal has its own nightmare problems with stats and status resists, but if these three changes were done on a pre-renewal servers I honestly wouldn't see the problem.  It might even make Silence viable to use, which would be interesting to see.

Playtester

Well I thought that those classes for which Silence is pretty bad have to get Int anyway, so putting the status resist on it makes it kinda easy to resist. Might not even have to get Vit anymore and just go Int/Dex.

RoseTea

Quote from: Playtester on Mar 23, 2013, 02:25 PM
Well I thought that those classes for which Silence is pretty bad have to get Int anyway, so putting the status resist on it makes it kinda easy to resist. Might not even have to get Vit anymore and just go Int/Dex.
Who gets Int, though?  No caster classes get INT: their builds are Vit/Dex because your damage is secondary to standard survivability and busting out spells as fast as possible.   The only class that gets Int, I think, is the Creator, who ends up either Int/Vit or Int/Dex (I forget which).  With the status change, the former means you can now Sleep them at least.  The latter means you can stun/other status them normally.

Also, you're missing two other changes: What makes the Bleeding and Sleep changes "pretty stupid"?

Triper

Fruit Pie~

Quote from: Triper on Mar 24, 2013, 11:59 AM
High Wizard?
That's only in PVM. An HW built purely for, say, WoE would go mostly VIT DEX like everyone else who isn't a Champion or an MVP-carded Creator.

Anyway, while I do admire Renewal's attempt to make status effects less attached to VIT I also think they don't make sense. Maybe I'm just used to how RO works, but why AGI against bleeding? Why is "being fast" an appropriate defense for bleeding to death? (the metagame explanation is that it's meant to make AGI SinXes more viable, since then they could go Specialty Jur without losing Hiding/Cloaking every second, but Specialty Jurs have been out of style since 2008, so Gravity)

Triper

Well, I've never seen HWs with vit being FS or DPS on woes aside some special cases but that's me probably and the places I've played.

And I think that they just wanted to make the builds less dependent on stats with this. For me, they could just make the anti-status only work thanks to gear, like in some other games, and I would be fine with it.

Astraeos

High Wizard builds vary, FS will have DEX/VIT; MS will have DEX/INT/AGI. I've seen some builds that are AGI/INT and mitigate all DEX through cast reduction gear combined with Bragi.

In Renewal... RK, AB, Warlock, Mechs, Maestro, Sura, Sorc, and Genetics all use INT as a part of there skill set. The cast reduction formula in RE mechanics is also 1-[530-(DEX*2+INT)]%. Up until the Mora patch, there's a lot of reason to get INT in your build.

RoseTea

Quote from: Fruit Pie~ on Mar 24, 2013, 06:17 PM
Anyway, while I do admire Renewal's attempt to make status effects less attached to VIT I also think they don't make sense. Maybe I'm just used to how RO works, but why AGI against bleeding? Why is "being fast" an appropriate defense for bleeding to death? (the metagame explanation is that it's meant to make AGI SinXes more viable, since then they could go Specialty Jur without losing Hiding/Cloaking every second, but Specialty Jurs have been out of style since 2008, so Gravity)[/color][/b]
To be fair, I don't really feel like the stats represent anything aside from what numbers they modify (and in Renewal stats do all kinds of wacky stuff, blurring the lines further).  They do tend to fit the D&Dish roles (Are you a buff man and also spiritual?  Your class probably ends up with str and int) but trying to claim something does or does not make sense in a game where you kill colored blobs called Porings and the Orc Hero Helm quest exists seems like a hopeless cause.

jblazer

Don't understand. =(

Say I have a plankton card 5% chance. The target has 10 int and 10 luck, and both characters are level 99.

BaseChance - BaseChance * tarInt / 100 + srcBaseLevel - tarBaseLevel - tarLuk

And that... comes out to -9.5% chance cause I'm horrible at math. Can someone explain to me this in a way I can understand?

Playtester

5% = 50

Chance = 50 - 50 * 10 / 100 + 99 - 99 - 10
Chance = 50 - 5 + 99 - 99 - 10
Chance = 35

3.5% chance after stat reduction

jblazer