What keeps RO running after all these years?

Started by Kokkoro, May 31, 2021, 08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kokkoro

Topic title. RO is running for almost 2 decades now and despite gravity being gravity and stiff competition from other more modern mmos, kRO and iRO are still up and running and we still have a plethora of private servers both old and new, pre-re and renewal.

So what keeps RO alive after all this time? The community? The nostalgic urge? p2w whales in kRO and iRO at least?
I have finally found you, aruji-sama~

redempress

I guess you can say the gameplay experience RO brings to new and old players cannot be found on any new MMORPG,
RO has the unique concept and it is so flexible.
If anything a developer plans and think of they can make it happen :D

Notley

I always loved RO for the vibe. The grindy playstyle with MVP's present on the open map instead of instanced locations. I also think, that the overall playerbase communication in Ragnarok is quite vibrant... I made many long-term friendships in RO. War of Emperium is also pretty original form of PvP comparing to other mmorpg's.  /no1
After all those years, I still tend to comeback to RO once in a while to feel that nostalgic experience. Time well spent. /lv

Nekoruchii

You actually nailed it all though..

Nostalgic feels,
Boredom after playing X game,
Uniqueness of the game,
Crybaby dramas on #main chat after WoE,
p2w whales on any game,
Drama on RMS or any social media about being banned, corruption, name it,
and lastly, there is still a small amount of people trying it out for the first time even at this year~

Nova

Nostalgia.
RNG.
Open world.
Complexity.
Freedom of stats.
Cute sprites.

And honestly the fact that the MMO's they make today simply aren't good enough for my taste. If they want me to commit hours upon hours in a new MMO, it better be damn good and I haven't found it yet.
I am not associated with NovaRO.

Neffletics

• Nostalgia
  • We can't find any better game, or we don't find the new ones interesting
  • Our computers are too s*** to run modern games
solacero rip

Naruto

well renewal is sorta set up like every other game now

Wouldnt wanna be NEW to ragnarok and try getting into it....

Pandora

Nostalgia as others have said already. Cuteness helps too. RO is playable even if you have only a short time on your hand. No super long loading (depends on your computer I suppose).

That being said, if it came out today I believe it would tank. RO arrived at the right time, it didn't have a ton of other MMOs to complete with it.
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

[color=darkblue]Click here to find out more about heRO![/color]

rubie123

Because RO is the BEST mmo out there still to this date.  /lv
--------------------------------
RMS NEEDS A MAKEOVER!

Eiponpon

it aint nostalgia its because ro is a good game

Duero

Well I can say it like this I been playing RO sense 2005 on and off im far from expert or pro but I can say nothing beats a solid good game that can be played on a cheap laptop if you so wish I mean system spec is still Pentium II 400mhz + 128mb ram and any graphics card with 3D Acceleration & at least 16MB on-board RAM.

So I mean with ease of access and low end pc friendly makes it a viable mmo for any one that maybe don´t have a power PC.

Then nostalgia is huge factor I mean every one loves classic/pre-renewal and if you even bring up renewal they will lose their mind and piss on you for not mob grinding on 1 map for 10 hours to get 10% on your exp bar. So every one is stuck in their nostalgia dream. (For me it´s enjoy a classic with new stuff and bloody finally having quests that is not for a damn hat)

But yeah foggy nostalgia feelings when everything was better back in 1800 + the ease of access makes it still a popular game.

shiningMoonFan

I think most gears being tradable is a big part, MMO has moved away from this and not sure why.  The value of zeny is so much more useful than gold in WoW or other modern MMOs because of this, and it's hard to truly waste your money.

RO also has the ability to gear for very specific encounters and gearswap with sometimes one mob/boss in mind.  Once you complete a full set of gear there's always optional pieces that you may want, always something to hunt for.

For me it's definitely not nostalgia like a lot of people say, my wife got me into RO when it was 8-10 years old and I've loved it ever since (that was about 11 years ago).  I am very envious of the people that got to play it when it was brand new and the servers were packed.

Eiponpon

Quote from: Duero on Jun 07, 2021, 09:14 PM
Well I can say it like this I been playing RO sense 2005 on and off im far from expert or pro but I can say nothing beats a solid good game that can be played on a cheap laptop if you so wish I mean system spec is still Pentium II 400mhz + 128mb ram and any graphics card with 3D Acceleration & at least 16MB on-board RAM.

So I mean with ease of access and low end pc friendly makes it a viable mmo for any one that maybe don´t have a power PC
ironically ro runs terrible on modern pcs

Shagaru

Its a classic its as simple as that. Ro was a pioneer of the mmorpg genre in beeing one of the first sprite base mmo's which exploded in popularity all over asia. It had a healthy p-server community pretty much baked into the fanbase from the beginning. Its still around cause its a classic and for all the reason people return to any medium of entertainment that has established itself as a classic in their respectiv generation or personal field interest.

QuoteA classic is an outstanding example of a particular style; something of lasting worth or with a timeless quality; of the first or highest quality, class, or rank – something that exemplifies its class

A classic gets carried over generations like this and stays relevant to a certain extend. Certainly nostalgia plays a part in this but its many things. There is countless examples in Music / Literature / Film. Its the same to a lesser extend for more specific things like a game genre like MMORpg's. For example League of Legends will remain as the undisputed classic of the MOBA genre in a another decade or two and will still be played by some people. As for the P-Server Community it might be still alive for that reason but its dieing off slowly imo.With SEA and BR Community solving the  availability issue compared to the EU and US i can't see how its anything but trending downwards. The next boom for MMO's will certainly be VR just like Dungeon and Dragons got more popular through tabletop simulation online. I hope i live until then :)

Wosi2

For me RO was the first mmorp I played and the only one I always came back to.

The variety of builds, the depth of game mechanics and the possibility to always learn new tricks even after two decades of playing RO is just amazing.

Its a classic gem.

plarr

It actually takes 2gbs of hard drive space to run originally that was 600mbs...

Mmm, could be nostalgia, or it could be real dopamine, unadulterated dopamine. So much is still left undone, and farming galions is all I do on pre-renewal servers that or go to dragons nest. . . Is that nostalgia??

Apih

LOONOOR

rubie123

Stop overthinking it people. It's just a simple and fun game, and time doesn't change that.  /lv
--------------------------------
RMS NEEDS A MAKEOVER!

BaphometRag

Yes that is it. If it was bad game it wouldnt last

Playtester

For me it's mainly because RO has features no other MMORPG ever implemented right. Like the completely non-linear progression and the fact that monster have (almost) no local spawns so you actually have to walk around maps and explore to find more.

I'm still waiting for an MMORPG that really gets it right, so far everything that said it's inspired by RO failed completely at it.

Also I think the emulators really help this game because being able to customize your experience is something really valuable. Up to the point where I wonder why no company did just does it themselves yet. I would think that for example if a streamer could have someone set up a customized server for him where all the viewers can join in seems like something that could go viral.

Kris

- can't find a SI
- can't find a job
- can't afford next-gen consoles 

/thread
2k21 Return

Wosi2

Its probably a mix of all the above.

Great game,
Low Hardware requirements,
No worthy successor
And nostalgia