Server Lag

Started by yuera, May 21, 2012, 12:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yuera

Does your current server suffers from lag and DC these past few days?

Yukino

A lot of servers are getting DDoS'ed these days... Seriously, some players have to learn to move on. There have been a few groups who also accept requests or get paid to attack servers. Why can't servers and players get along =\? Or, keep things to a friendly competition (if it's between servers)? Money and time can be put to better use.
Friends are special flowers that bloom from trust.

Free Designs by Me: Here!

yuera

I see, so is there any way to counter DDOS attacks?

Triper

There are counters but, based on what I know, most of them don't work at 100% or have flaws since this works a bit like spam the server the max you can until it dies.

You can ask your host to redirect the traffic that your server gets that is making the DDOS to a dead end or to make them block that specific IPs/IP-range for example but most of the time it won't work at 100% because a good DDOS comes from a lot of places making it hard to stop completely since most of the people doing them know when to detect fails and make new ways to DDOS in secs.

You can ask your host to try to detect the source behind the proxies used and cut the access but, most of the time, the ones doing this, also have dynamic IPs that can be changed with a in and out modem for 30 secs to change IP or just use some randomizer ip software that difficult the work.

It's hard to prevent/block them :(

Relics

Quote from: Yukino on May 21, 2012, 01:53 AM
Why can't servers and players get along =\?
Greed, malevolence and it's the internet.

People will do underhanded things when it comes to money

Myteriouss

Quote from: Relics on May 21, 2012, 10:02 AM
Greed, malevolence and it's the internet.

People will do underhanded things when it comes to money
Not all servers are like that. So, don't get too twisted.

@Yukino, there are servers that do get a long with players. However, it's the players fault most of the time because: A) Not Patient B) Like to be Rude C) Try everything in their path to throw Staff off.. and the list goes on.

Although, there are a good chunk full of players that don't do this and get along with the Admin and his/her server.

Yukino

Oh, I meant it in the context of the players who are attacking the servers--why can't they get along? That sort of thing.

I know there are some dedicated players as I have been an Administrator myself before XD. With every server, there are bound to be attackers though. It's just sad how there are DDoS attacks in the first place for some servers. Don't like the server? Rant and then move on to another server =/.

Relics

Quote from: Myteriouss on May 21, 2012, 10:43 AM
Not all servers are like that. So, don't get too twisted.
What part of what i said implies all servers?

@yukino
like i said, some people don't get along simply because it's the internet and they intend to do harmful things. Anonymity is a factor here

Yukino

Oh lol you guys, my questions were asked for impact XD. I already know how the Internet is/can be. Just meant to emphasize that people should get along, especially if RO is dying out. Get players to play the game more, not drive them away =/ (added this to clarify things haha XD).

Relics

yeah, nevermind i know you know.. its wishful thinking and while it should happen it probably wont ever ;(

Yukino

There should be groups that DDoS the DDoS'ers XD... Just kidding.
One group got their website suspended at least lol. Saw a huge list of servers they were after before the website removal =/. It's sad how they reveal their names and Facebook account links and use the same display names on eAthena, rAthena, and other forums. Guess they wanted to show off.

I always wondered if huge games out there get DDos'ed as well... They probably hide it really well I suppose.

leokimah

Quote from: Yukino on May 22, 2012, 03:35 PM
I always wondered if huge games out there get DDos'ed as well... They probably hide it really well I suppose.

They are more than capable of affording a very good protection against that. A good DDoS protection is actually quite expensive.

There is another thread floating around these forums with a few helpful post from old server admins regarding this issue. I think the problem is that most people (server owners) are too ignorant to handle such attacks.

Yukino

That's true about the money requirement, but I'm wondering about the frequency of such attacks. Has iRO experienced any before?

Triper

I remember to read about 2 attacks to them in 2 weeks in a time not far far away.

aluze

Often servers are also lagging due to hosting on budget shared servers or vps

Good hosts sometimes offer you ddos protection but these hosts are also likely to be more expensive
AluzeRo 10/10/5/2 - A classic Ro experience with no customs!
http://www.aluzero.com