Is Ragnarok dead?

Started by DeadOwnz, Apr 27, 2011, 12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irreverence

It's definitely not dead, you're just pretty hard pressed to pull most of the players out of their niche servers, and there's other reasons as well.

I'm a good example of this, before I started out on mine as administration, I'd been on a server for about 10 years without branching out once. Why would I? I found something I liked, got well acquainted with it, made a s***-load of friends, many of whom I still speak and play with today. Never had a reason to leave. If someone had some along during those 10 years and said 'hey man, come to this server. it's better', I would've laughed and said 'no way'.

Second reason: No one wants to start the grind over, especially on low/mid-rates. most High/super-high rates just throw s*** at the player in an effort to get people to want to come there and avoid the initial grind, which I believe completely stifles any sort of PvP skill or coordination, a la 'get the gear press the button'.

Third reason: end-game. Either an unbalanced or otherwise non-existent end game will kill any drive a player might have for farming up. I've actually been somewhat struggling with this concept on my server for some time. Like, you can farm and drop cards and get castles and pwn people ruthlessly, but to what end? Even the most exciting, awesome, fun and balanced pvp can get stale after awhile. How to combat this? Constant updates and changing! With this though, you then isolate those players who strive for familiarity and aren't entirely thrilled with the idea of relearning everything they spent so much time perfecting, case in point Renewal (screw you renewal.)

Seems like most people are just waiting for the big servers to go belly-up, so that players will have to find another server.

SharpLeaf

its alive but need better gameplay

Senra

It's definitely hard to kill this game. There will always be a number of people who want to remember it/are bored/want to go back, and there will always be people who are willing to make another server. If there is no server, there is a possibility that the same old bored player will create one for himself, therefore starting the cycle all over again. Why else do you think this game has been here all these years? Sure it's old and dying, but I don't think it will simply stay dead.

Also lack of in-game management, administration, interest, financial instability, new things can kill it, but if everything's done right, then certainly it's still going to be up for a while longer (I'm betting another 5-10 or so years). I haven't been on too long, maybe 4 years total, and I've abandoned/quit/promised never to return again, but somehow I always do. Maybe that's the case for most players.

Also I hate renewal and the current player attitude. That's the greatest kill joy for me. So there's that.

Mary Magdalene

I'd say RO private servers now are all about how good the freebies is
" Not hurting somebody is a children's nonsense because you will really gonna hurt somebody even if you don't want to "

Yoshu

QuoteThird reason: end-game. Either an unbalanced or otherwise non-existent end game will kill any drive a player might have for farming up. I've actually been somewhat struggling with this concept on my server for some time. Like, you can farm and drop cards and get castles and pwn people ruthlessly, but to what end? Even the most exciting, awesome, fun and balanced pvp can get stale after awhile. How to combat this? Constant updates and changing! With this though, you then isolate those players who strive for familiarity and aren't entirely thrilled with the idea of relearning everything they spent so much time perfecting, case in point Renewal (screw you renewal.)

Exactly this, it's really hard to find late game balance.

Kiyoshi Visser

I don't think RO is dead or will die anytime soon. However, it is an old game that could use some spicing up. I'm... Not exactly sure how it could be done though. :P

wpcarlos

Technically, it's not dead because it still gets updated regularly by Gravity. RO is not dead just because many people think it's not "balanced" anymore or "all my friends stopped playing it," or "the 3rd jobs killed it."

...However, on a personal level, it depends: 1) if you're still playing it, there's no way it's dead; 2) if you're not playing it but believe there's still a chance, however small, for you to come back, then it's maybe not dead yet; 3) if you firmly believe you will never play it again, then it's dead.

I belong to the second condition but I haven't played at all for 6 years already and playing RO again means I have to relearn spriting and make my character anatomically acceptable and proportional, and animated... That needs commitment and just thinking about it gives me headache. I'd rather play some other game that many more people are modding.

RO dies once Gravity stops working on it, no matter how many private servers emerge from that point on it will only be a matter of time before everyone moves on from it.

Lastly, people need to consider donating to developers who matter -- the ones at rathena or hercules, etc. -- and not to scum human beings who put up garbage servers to milk people dry.

On an unrelated note, this verification measure sure is tough! Which to press to sit in RO? Had to google it.

Siren

The private server community has been getting hit hard mainly because everyone and their little brother tries to create their own Ragnarok server now-a-days, and iRO has become free to play.

Most of the kids now that are starting up servers do not have the slightest idea what it takes to maintain, code, or simply do anything with keeping a steady, balanced, happy community.

boxlunch

The game will never really die, but The Golden Age of RO is long past. The game has been thoroughly played out by this point, and there are no new challenges. RO has always been a community driven game, but the player pool has dropped significantly and the competition these days is almost non-existent. Some servers have tried to capture the nostalgia from the olden days, but all of them have pretty much failed. These days, people make heavily modified servers in an attempt to breathe new life into the game, but reception is often mixed, and there doesn't seem to be any chance of finding a viable middleground.

ggRO had the best chance to resurrect the player pool (and the game at large), but poor management and internal drama quickly turned it into just another server ruined by Cookie and his cohorts. What started off as a promising server with 2000 players dedicated at pre-launch faded into a gigantic mess by the time the server even launched. Within a couple months, the server was dead. Then new management came in, but chose to keep the name (a terrible branding decision) and no one came back. Then it folded into another server or something. Really, it was all just a gigantic disappointment all around.

RO will never die so long as someone is willing to fork the cash to run a server. But the traditional experience and original enjoyment, from my experience at least, is long dead.

rubie123

Yes, Ragnarok is dead. /ok
--------------------------------
RMS NEEDS A MAKEOVER!

Masao

RO has been dying since around 2008, back then it started and it graduatly proceeded to lose its playerbase, because of many reasons which have all alreday been stated here, I think around 2013 it hit for some weird reason another big hit and its practically completly on its knees down, the only thing holding RO still up are the many pinoy / brazil players who probably can't play anything better with their internet connections and / or computers and don't mind "spending" or well rather throwing their money at incompetent people which are trying to build a new server every few months.

But luckily there is new hope, at least for me, been following this game since november 2013 and it's about half a year away from being finally released I'd guess. It's called Tree of Savior and went with the name Project R1 before that, it's created by the developer kim hakkyu who also were the developer for ragnarök online at its beginnings, the first 2 or 3 years or so, I just payed in the first iCBT last weekend and it's just a superb game, it's everything I ever wanted to see in RO1 but just much better, with new graphics, new design and everything, even soundTEMP is on board again with this game.

Here's a little trailer for it, it's the japanese traile for ToS:
Tree of Savior: Japanese Trailer

Well, I guess / hope to see many of you there as well when it finally launches ;)

rubie123

Every time some one talks about death of RO, some one brings up Tree of savior..lol. I've seen the trailers and I don't get what all the fuss is about.
I don't find the game appealing to my eyes and I doubt it is as fun as RO was.
--------------------------------
RMS NEEDS A MAKEOVER!

Tatutatengue

I've played the Beta of Tree Of Savior and it's nothing like Ragnarok. Nothing at all. It's not the spiritual succesor as they said. It's just another action mmorpg as Dragon Nest but with great graphics.
So I think RO won't die till another REAL succesor come out.

Zleepy

far from its just the western servers that are dead from offering the least popular rates / episodes

Irreverence

Quote from: Yoshu on Jun 12, 2015, 06:05 PM
Exactly this, it's really hard to find late game balance.

or just something that's worth it. The lack of a late-game kinda facilitates a catch-22 of sorts: a good late-game would draw many players, but it first requires many players to attract even more players. Best thing you can do is come at it with a 'build it and they will come' sort of approach.

doesn't help that you pretty much have to be unemployed and/or have a s***-ton of free time to properly manage the server and create updates in a timely manner. a lot of us who started playing in our teens can't exactly survive on "I run a ragnarok server lol" anymore.