What if..?

Started by Yuzo, Apr 16, 2016, 11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuzo

What if Gravity leaked their own code and all the biggest private servers over the past 10 years were run by Gravity employees? And "donations" were just a trick to get you to pour in more money than a subscription?

#conspiracy

Kyo-Kusanagi-aka-GuessWho

I usually dont use the word conspiracytheory because most of those who use the word use it to insult people who actually use their brain like on the events of 9/11. Its normal nowadays to accuse everyone who dont trust the media being a conspiracytheorist....

But let me tell you this. What amazes me is, that despite the fact, that most of the main code of aegis has been leaked, Gravity didint do much in order to prevent it from spreading it. Well, maybe, they cant. And I also never saw gravity pushing private servers to closing. But I really dont think that Gravity and its developers leaked it - because just imagine of all the bad image they get. A company that cant even keep their main game code of leaking. Wouldnt that be a bit stupid. Im not the programming guy, the only programming langauge I can use is Ruby which is pretty much worthless in terms of RO. But keep in mind, that Gravity once before was bankrupt and they were on the edge of dissolving - it was Samsung I think who saved them by buying the company. Would a company/now a studio risk of getting bankrupt again by leaking their own code? I dont think any sane person with a understanding of management would do that... Not even gravity. :))))))))))

But nice thinking, I like your idea. haha.
Ragnarok Online Player since the very Beta. I'm still in love with the game.

Inochi

Does anyone have the story on how the source code was released. I want the 2004 gossip 
<3

Zleepy

even if you ran aegis depending on the country / pay process it would cost gravity a ridiculous amount of money to for little gain even to the point of risking their own company at time since gravity was quite small

you might actually be able to find it at sites like ragezone which are dedicated to distributing highly illegal stolen files ( RO2 src is there last i checked..v1 mind you of course )

also shady employees are usually the reason why we can get our hands on lovely src and make some high cash for the next fer years rather than the company doing it purposely

jacobo_bobo

I've been a player since 2004. As far as I know the source code was leaked by a Gravity employee. Ever since then, all other updates and additions have been coded by freelancers based on what they feel is correct by playing official servers and using the original code as base for the new updates.

Why Gravity didn't do anything to prevent the leak? -- You know the ol' saying...Once it's on the internet it's there forever. There were too many users that had a copy and even if they tried they could not possibly delete the files from those people's computers.

Why Gravity doesn't do anything to stop private servers? -- They can't do much. Sure, they can spend money and time suing the largest private servers...but what will they gain? Not much monetary compensation because private RO servers don't make enough money to make it worth it for Gravity. They might get 5-10k USD, maybe 20K max..but the legal fees to get this amount would probably by higher than the compensation. Multiply those legal fees by 10 or whatever amount of big servers you think they are and you can see how it can become a big dilemma. Sure, if the defendant is found guilty they usually have to pay the legal fees, but then as I said before, most RO private server owners do not have enough to pay for that.

Even if Gravity did attempt to sue the largest private servers, it would not solve the root of the issue. The players of those big private servers will simply move on to other existing (smaller) private servers and not the official ones. Also, these private servers are not all from the same country and I think we all know that laws and regulations differ greatly among different countries. Gravity might not even have the legal right to sue some of those private servers hosted in 3rd world countries.

All in all the best choice Gravity could have made was to concentrate their efforts into other games and hope that they learned their lesson about keeping their code secure.

Inochi

Quote from: jacobo_bobo on Apr 27, 2016, 07:59 PM
I've been a player since 2004. As far as I know the source code was leaked by a Gravity employee. Ever since then, all other updates and additions have been coded by freelancers based on what they feel is correct by playing official servers and using the original code as base for the new updates.

Why Gravity didn't do anything to prevent the leak? -- You know the ol' saying...Once it's on the internet it's there forever. There were too many users that had a copy and even if they tried they could not possibly delete the files from those people's computers.

Why Gravity doesn't do anything to stop private servers? -- They can't do much. Sure, they can spend money and time suing the largest private servers...but what will they gain? Not much monetary compensation because private RO servers don't make enough money to make it worth it for Gravity. They might get 5-10k USD, maybe 20K max..but the legal fees to get this amount would probably by higher than the compensation. Multiply those legal fees by 10 or whatever amount of big servers you think they are and you can see how it can become a big dilemma. Sure, if the defendant is found guilty they usually have to pay the legal fees, but then as I said before, most RO private server owners do not have enough to pay for that.

Even if Gravity did attempt to sue the largest private servers, it would not solve the root of the issue. The players of those big private servers will simply move on to other existing (smaller) private servers and not the official ones. Also, these private servers are not all from the same country and I think we all know that laws and regulations differ greatly among different countries. Gravity might not even have the legal right to sue some of those private servers hosted in 3rd world countries.

All in all the best choice Gravity could have made was to concentrate their efforts into other games and hope that they learned their lesson about keeping their code secure.

Has gravity attempted to sue any servers previously in the years? Or 0 attempts made so far?
<3

yC

Too much rumors of server getting shut down by Gravity or police in certain countries raided homehosted RO servers.  I think I saw a picture of a newspaper article on police raided a home (I think it was in Thailand or Philippine).  The others were mostly unconfirmed.

Inochi

Quote from: yC on Apr 28, 2016, 08:42 PM
Too much rumors of server getting shut down by Gravity or police in certain countries raided homehosted RO servers.  I think I saw a picture of a newspaper article on police raided a home (I think it was in Thailand or Philippine).  The others were mostly unconfirmed.

well f***
<3

Kyo-Kusanagi-aka-GuessWho

Quote from: Inochi on Apr 28, 2016, 04:02 PM
Has gravity attempted to sue any servers previously in the years? Or 0 attempts made so far?
I'm a player since 2003/2002 when the code was not even leaked. I never heard about Gravity taking actions. Not in terms of Private servers. I doubt about those rumours saying Gravity takes actions etc.
Lets be honest, most private servers close because...
The admin moderator is too stupid to handle a private server
Some idiots with too much free time hack or damage the server in some how or hack the server
Because the game doesnt appeal to a wider people.
Ragnarok Online Player since the very Beta. I'm still in love with the game.