Why Be A Game Master?

Started by Guest, Dec 20, 2008, 02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revenant

Quote from: adhelle on May 09, 2010, 11:26 PM
Quote from: Habuka on May 09, 2010, 02:31 PM
For most people it's because they want to be treated better. If you have power, you are less likely to be dissrespected. For me: it's the fact of having a larger voice to be able to talk to the owner or admins.
actually you are much more disrespected by players when having power.
... But you have a larger voice with the administration of the server, which is what actually matters, as opposed to how the public perceives you.
For the love of god, people, stop posting topics about recruiting staff on this forum, or indeed any forum. If you really feel the need to publicize the fact you're incapable of running your own server, and as such, must rely on someone you know nothing about as a crutch, be prepared to deal with the consequences, as people who go deliberately looking for GM positions are most likely as dumb as the inept server owner in question, if not moreso.

People offering paid services may or may not be screwing you over, depending on the product. Web designers? There's quite a good few out there; many take time to do their work, and charge quite a bit as a result. Just be sure you're not getting someone elses' website, rebranded for quick cash. If you hire someone to do things such as install customs for you, give up running a server. You're wasting time and letting someone take advantage of your stupidity.

[1] [2] [3] [4]

Nithalm

Odd discussion.

I like to make maps. I want to add some of my idea's into a server, maps, events, meddling with mob behaviour, etc.
The title a GM may have should be irrelevant. even opposite, though i myself may hold admin powers, i rather be called a 'normal' GM, so to not draw too much attention. People tend to ask lot of attention of GM's which seem to hold lot of
power, and in the end it cost a lot of precious time to deal with all those players. In my opinion you should not join a server,
because you want to be a leader, but because you have something to add in server. Having a GM account and a name
should be enough. People also should know what you do in server. But the desire for 'titles'....... meh
As soon as someone show interest in having a certain 'title', im suspecious.

markaizer

Cause they want to be one. Experience, sometimes fame, items.
But there are still people who wants to be a GM to give better help..

Habuka

Quote from: adhelle on May 09, 2010, 11:26 PM
Quote from: Habuka on May 09, 2010, 02:31 PM
For most people it's because they want to be treated better. If you have power, you are less likely to be dissrespected. For me: it's the fact of having a larger voice to be able to talk to the owner or admins.
actually you are much more disrespected by players when having power.
Only if your a bad GM. If people are going to dissrespect you more, then you MUST be doing something wrong and simply arnt getting the hint.
I Is Warned

GorthexTiger

Quote from: markaizer on May 10, 2010, 06:16 PM
But there are still people who wants to be a GM to help Just like our current GMs in RareRO.

gtfo with your subtle advertising.

ALL GMs want to be a GM so they can "help out".

That's like saying you want to be a Farmer so you "grow things".

You don't need to be a farmer to grow things, just like you don't need to be a GM to help people or the server.
Read about the "Great Dramas" Part 1, Part 2, & Part 3

markaizer

Quote from: GorthexTiger on May 10, 2010, 08:32 PM
Quote from: markaizer on May 10, 2010, 06:16 PM
But there are still people who wants to be a GM to help Just like our current GMs in RareRO.

gtfo with your subtle advertising.

ALL GMs want to be a GM so they can "help out".

That's like saying you want to be a Farmer so you "grow things".

You don't need to be a farmer to grow things, just like you don't need to be a GM to help people or the server.
Sorry if you felt I'm advertising.
But I believe we're allowed to say the server we're pointing at, if not then I'm really sorry.
If advertising is that bad, then both of us shouldn't put server banners in our signature.

Peace Out /gawi

True you don't need to be a GM to Help people or the server, but people who wanted to give a better help may choose to be a GM.
You can choose to be a farmer to grow things better, I believe there are difference between farmer and non farmer.
A farmer has land(either by rent or owned) for his/her farm, he/she can put more crops to grow which is better than having a pot in front of your house. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Habuka

Having a server banner in your signature is way diffrent. If people wanted to join your server they would look at your banner, they shouldnt hear how "Good" the server is that your advertising in any other thread then the Advertising threads in the Advertising sections.
I Is Warned

markaizer

Quote from: Habuka on May 11, 2010, 12:43 AM
Having a server banner in your signature is way diffrent. If people wanted to join your server they would look at your banner, they shouldnt hear how "Good" the server is that your advertising in any other thread then the Advertising threads in the Advertising sections.
I understand, now its removed.
Thanks, People should just say it like that Instead of gtfo (it doesn't look cool).
Again sorry,  its not my intention to advertise. Like there's no point for me to do that, I already have servers banner in my signature anyway.
I actually posted on this topic for the Zeny(I logged in and found out about the inventory and saw im missing like 4 or 5? for color change so i started looking for a topic that i can post on topic.

GorthexTiger

What Habuka said. And depending on my mood: I might sugar-coat some words or I may not: it just depends what stick I pull out of the barrel.

Quote from: markaizer on May 11, 2010, 12:55 AM
I ... posted on this topic for the Zeny xD.

The prosecution rests your honor.
Read about the "Great Dramas" Part 1, Part 2, & Part 3

markaizer

Quote from: GorthexTiger on May 11, 2010, 02:58 AM
What Habuka said. And depending on my mood: I might sugar-coat some words or I may not: it just depends what stick I pull out of the barrel.

Quote from: markaizer on May 11, 2010, 12:55 AM
I ... posted on this topic for the Zeny xD.

The prosecution rests your honor.
Depends on your mood, okay.....

LemonCrosswalk

Habuka

Zeny~!~!~!~!~!!~!~!~!~!!!!!!!~~~~!~!!!~~~
I Is Warned

ore0s

*On Topic*
There are many reasons why one would want to be a Game Master.  Since this is a 2008 topic, most of the points has been touched on already; like how one want it for self-gain or someone who really want to help improve the server.  As for me, being a Game Master is a privilege, whether it be a server with 50 players or a server with 500 players.  You aren't getting paid for your services and most of the times the players rely on you for answers when they have a problem.  Of course you get sh1t thrown at you and at times there are players who write in different languages and expect you to try to answer them.  To me though, that's pretty satisfying, y'know helping other players in RO; a game that I love and me sharing that experience is pretty fun.  I would also feel pretty bad if I was a Game Master and ruined the server by going corrupted on the players and stuff...

thelonite

Being a Game Moderator is boring work
yes you got the cool blue and yellow BC
yes you got the rare outfil
yes you get the yellow name and the cool GM skills

but look
you cant play decently
everyone else goes hes a GM no wonder he beat you

every other gig is known to you
no more surprises...

the truth is being a GM is a tough job
you ought to be ready to renounce your playing rights
its all for the Team and for the server

you hold events
you help those in need
you set right those who might go wrong
you correct those who are doing wrong
you do your utter best to make the server thrive
you cant have a relationship ingame
you cant be biased
you cant be a tripper
you cant badmouth
you cant trash talk

these are but guides
but basically the rules as well
fail just one and the server will soon fail

its not easy to be a Game Moderator
i dunno why people even want to be one

i was made a GM
not recruited
not even applied to be one
changed my playing 300 fold

http://myro.tk
http://tokibird.mx.tp

pr3zs

because they want to help other players and also the server to grow  probably..