Why Be A Game Master?

Started by Guest, Dec 20, 2008, 02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yukino

I agree with Kiyoshiro.

Some players want to be GMs for the power and fame. They want items and abilities beyond a regular player can have, and you can see the corruption as a result of that desire. However, there are some players (thankfully) who are just sincere and honest. They do want the server to improve and host events to liven up the community.

I enjoyed my time being an Event GM for several servers because it is good to see that people approve and love the events I host (especially ones that are successful). It's hard to find reliable GMs all the way through. Sometimes, they start out nice, but they turn out to be corrupted later on. Things just change, but it's not impossible to get an awesome GM. People just have to think to themselves the true meaning of being a Game Master/Moderator. It's for the well-being of the server.
Friends are special flowers that bloom from trust.

Free Designs by Me: Here!

Johnsu

Quote from: Yukino on Feb 14, 2010, 03:51 PM
I agree with Kiyoshiro.

Some players want to be GMs for the power and fame. They want items and abilities beyond a regular player can have, and you can see the corruption as a result of that desire. However, there are some players (thankfully) who are just sincere and honest. They do want the server to improve and host events to liven up the community.

I enjoyed my time being an Event GM for several servers because it is good to see that people approve and love the events I host (especially ones that are successful). It's hard to find reliable GMs all the way through. Sometimes, they start out nice, but they turn out to be corrupted later on. Things just change, but it's not impossible to get an awesome GM. People just have to think to themselves the true meaning of being a Game Master/Moderator. It's for the well-being of the server.

I worked for massacreRO as an Event/Promotions Person, I thought it would be simple, fun work. Boy, was I wrong. There are individuals who beg for levels, money, God items constantly. Then, if you don't do as the masses want, you get martyr'd.

Its not all chutes and whistles.

Hot like Mexico.

Sziadan

Quote from: Kiyoshiro on Feb 14, 2010, 12:54 PM
Well, if there were no GMs, who do we look up to to ask questions and all that other stuff? :x
And IMO, the server wouldn't even exist without GMs.

Like 90% of the questions that players asks the GMs can be answered by the other players in the server.
So, you could just ask a fellow player or on the forum.

And if you ask on the forum, even if the other players don't know the answer, the admin/GM's can answer it there as well. That way, everyone who might have been wondering the same thing can see the answer too.

On topic:

I do it to help the server become better. I loved the idea for the server our admin had, so I wanted to help him make that server reality in the best way possible.

Astraliche

Quote from: SZiaDaN on Feb 15, 2010, 02:08 AM
Quote from: Kiyoshiro on Feb 14, 2010, 12:54 PM
Well, if there were no GMs, who do we look up to to ask questions and all that other stuff? :x
And IMO, the server wouldn't even exist without GMs.

Like 90% of the questions that players asks the GMs can be answered by the other players in the server.
So, you could just ask a fellow player or on the forum.

And if you ask on the forum, even if the other players don't know the answer, the admin/GM's can answer it there as well. That way, everyone who might have been wondering the same thing can see the answer too.

That is correct, but some players just love to pull down reputations. Unlike the airports where people make a queue. Sure, we deal with them, one at a time, and when we run out of the time (merely an example, as I went online to deal with other things initially), we can always direct them to the forums. Where they would say on how we don't do things properly and go partial to players.

Players, when classified as 1 person, is a stalker, a nightmare that can talk in different languages and barely speaks English even though it is pointed to do so when we know they could, and in occasions, back-stabs people and logs off because they "don't want to hear your s***" when we listen to theirs daily.

If they can't relate, then they shouldn't say they can.

Yukino

At Johnsu: Lol, of course I know that it's not all chutes and whistles. That's why it's hard to find a reliable GM who can take on the pressure and stress. Otherwise, they would just crumble and give up and then probably do something stupid to ruin the server or do not even bother to help out the server anymore (sitting in the main town afking). It's annoying to have GMs who are pretending to be afk when they are not. I agree with you on how hard GM work is though. People just don't know what a GM really has to face, and Admins don't want to hire such half-halfheartedly people.

Some players don't like the answer "Go to the forum and check" though personally, they really should just read the forum first before asking. Players are just too impatient to solve things on their own or go look for answers first before asking a GM or Admin. However, GMs and Admins should give more detail when they are answering to satisfy the public needs. It's just a big loop in the end.

Friends are special flowers that bloom from trust.

Free Designs by Me: Here!

InRO

I like to help players..
make event to help players have fun..
bring more players to server so they can have woe and more fighting..

Revenant

Quote from: InRO on Apr 07, 2010, 10:28 AM
I like to help players..
make event to help players have fun..
bring more players to server so they can have woe and more fighting..

As harsh as this may sound, you appear to be one of those mindless-drone types that go looking in recruitment topics specifically just to get a GM position for the illusion of authority.

Edit: Yeah, I thought as much.
For the love of god, people, stop posting topics about recruiting staff on this forum, or indeed any forum. If you really feel the need to publicize the fact you're incapable of running your own server, and as such, must rely on someone you know nothing about as a crutch, be prepared to deal with the consequences, as people who go deliberately looking for GM positions are most likely as dumb as the inept server owner in question, if not moreso.

People offering paid services may or may not be screwing you over, depending on the product. Web designers? There's quite a good few out there; many take time to do their work, and charge quite a bit as a result. Just be sure you're not getting someone elses' website, rebranded for quick cash. If you hire someone to do things such as install customs for you, give up running a server. You're wasting time and letting someone take advantage of your stupidity.

[1] [2] [3] [4]

hirai

The essence of being a GM are the ff.

- GMS should be a mediator not a tormentor.
- GMS should possess wisdom to make any decisions fair to all concerned.
- GMS should help all players, and no bias at all.
- GMS should have integrity.
- GMS should be gracious, it means approachable at all times.

InRO

@Revenant,what u mean??i want to help people server...

Cyric

I have had a person give me an application with the dumbest of all possible reasons... "Oh, I think the GM sprite looks so cool and I want it!", now that is just about as lame as it gets.
From Alexander the grammarian; To refrain from fault-finding, and not in a reproachful way to chide those who uttered any barbarous or solecistic or strange-sounding expression; but dexterously to introduce the very expression which ought to have been used, and in the way of answer or giving confirmation, or joining in an inquiry about the thing itself, not about the word, or by some other fit suggestion.

revan

Hi, sorry if this is a late post (or redundant, topic's a bit long, dr)..

But I believe people want to be Game Masters because they think it's all fun and no work, given the extra fame and power. Plus, there's corruption. With great power comes great responsibility. But some get greedy with the power they have. I'm not saying all people who want to be game masters are corrupt, but there is a 70% chance that they will do something unfair, no matter how big or small it is.
Chloe Grace Moretz's Number 1 Fan

Cyric

I did my stint as GM Bane and later Head GM on SliceRO/OdeonRO to garner a working knowledge of the game in order to learn as much as I could before opening my own server. After I opened that server I gave the persona of GM Bane to my younger brother who is doing very well at it.
From Alexander the grammarian; To refrain from fault-finding, and not in a reproachful way to chide those who uttered any barbarous or solecistic or strange-sounding expression; but dexterously to introduce the very expression which ought to have been used, and in the way of answer or giving confirmation, or joining in an inquiry about the thing itself, not about the word, or by some other fit suggestion.

Habuka

For most people it's because they want to be treated better. If you have power, you are less likely to be dissrespected. For me: it's the fact of having a larger voice to be able to talk to the owner or admins.
I Is Warned

GorthexTiger

1.) For the babes.
2.) For the chicks.
3.) For the itemz.
4.) For the hawt cyberz.
5.) To get an RO girlfriend.
6.) For the gyrlz
7.) cuz i just wan have servar
8.) For the items
9.) For the corruptionz
10.) For the lulz
11.) for teh fame
12.) FOR TEH @COMAMNDS!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
13.) cuz i wnana do events!z1!1Z2!
14.) ma3k moniz

The Above Reasons are accurate in case studies of 97% of RO Private Server Staff. Albeit the 3% RO Private Servers out there that are actually interested in running the game because they loved / used to love a video game and are interested in keeping it alive, for the purpose of others having an enjoyable time and fostering a love affair with a game that they did or still do love.
Read about the "Great Dramas" Part 1, Part 2, & Part 3

adhelle

Quote from: Habuka on May 09, 2010, 02:31 PM
For most people it's because they want to be treated better. If you have power, you are less likely to be dissrespected. For me: it's the fact of having a larger voice to be able to talk to the owner or admins.
actually you are much more disrespected by players when having power.