Impersonation Prevention

Started by asdfqwerty123, Sep 27, 2007, 02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Littlechan

Quote from: JJJ on Feb 04, 2009, 09:45 AM
^^ im going to merge the two posts together since there about the same thing =3

but as a normal tip its recommended that you regularly tell people that GM's won't be asking for account info

I did, but when all GMs not online, that's a chance for the impersonator o.o

*Thank You very much for Azurene*

The world is getting more and more broken everyday...

The truth about me
I am 17 ;D
[close]

cheesestix

On our server, I think we just made it so people can't make characters with names that start with GM, BH, spaces, symbols, etc. Of course, there are a few people who came up with some "creative" ways to try to scam. But, those methods just don't work too well =P
Don't worry, be happy =(

well the best way is to keep your users informed so they know who they can, and cannot trust

asdfqwerty123

Quote from: JJJ on Feb 04, 2009, 06:44 PM
well the best way is to keep your users informed so they know who they can, and cannot trust

The best way to do this is to tell them to trust no one, not even GM's with their password or account information, and that GM's will never ask for their account information or password. Also this is another reason why it's important for GM's not to be involved in playing as players once they become a GM.

x3 thats part of being informed though ^^;

Descent

We don't use GM Sprites on our server, so Staffers are identified by a Staff-Only "Solstice-Wing" to differentiate. They're untradable, and GMs are monitored closely, are only allowed to have ONE GM character(any other instances will be deleted) to prevent confusion.

A posting of the Staff List is a must on any server's forum or Rules so players know exactly who to look for. The case on Solstice is that none of my GMs talk like twits, so any impersonation would be easy to catch, since 90% of the impersonators are illiterate and can't communicate clearly, such as in cheesestix's example. There has only been one impersonator, and he or she made a BIG mistake PMing my Admin, assuming it was a normal player with...

solstice-GM : hay player u wan donation item?
Descent : Are you giving them away?
solstice-GM : ya
solstice-GM : i am owner of this serv
Descent : Really.
solstice-GM : ya i am owner of this serv
Descent : How exciting! You're taking time out to talk to me?
solstice-GM : giv acct plis
solstice-GM : n i giv donation item
Descent : Okay, write this down.
solstice-GM : ok
Descent : My account info is as follows...
Descent : Username : Your donkey
Descent : Password: Is Banned.
solstice-GM : ei
Descent : Bye bye. @ban 999d

Jumped into the files to IP ban the little turd. Haven't seen him since. What was humorous was that I had a few players hanging out in Prontera to watch this, laughing up a storm as the 1/1 Novice attempted to tell people he owned the server.

Cielte

Quote from: Descent on Feb 19, 2009, 11:38 PM
We don't use GM Sprites on our server, so Staffers are identified by a Staff-Only "Solstice-Wing" to differentiate. They're untradable, and GMs are monitored closely, are only allowed to have ONE GM character(any other instances will be deleted) to prevent confusion.

A posting of the Staff List is a must on any server's forum or Rules so players know exactly who to look for. The case on Solstice is that none of my GMs talk like twits, so any impersonation would be easy to catch, since 90% of the impersonators are illiterate and can't communicate clearly, such as in cheesestix's example. There has only been one impersonator, and he or she made a BIG mistake PMing my Admin, assuming it was a normal player with...

Jumped into the files to IP ban the little turd. Haven't seen him since. What was humorous was that I had a few players hanging out in Prontera to watch this, laughing up a storm as the 1/1 Novice attempted to tell people he owned the server.

I'm sorry, but this made me laugh...

Zone

Quote from: Kozua Nekiem on Feb 19, 2009, 11:44 PM
Quote from: Descent on Feb 19, 2009, 11:38 PM

I'm sorry, but this made me laugh...
I did too.
There was a kid who tried this with me before, except the admin was my friend.
I just so happened to be over at his house. :P
So he and I got the chance to toy with this guy, gave him a 1/1 novice account, he logged in and was like, ei why dun u hav ny itams, r u new?

Re: Hmm, neither do you, as I can see you just made the account you are on, and you have another account by the name of xxkamo***xx

his re: wahhh?
Re: oh yes, I forgot to tell you, I am quite close friends with the owner and admin of this server...I just so happen to be sitting right next to him ^^
*scammer logs out*
*ip bans permanently*
Ahhh, I love it when people try to impersonate GMs.
They are so entertaining. I hope I have a few on my server once I open to the public.

Orange

GM impersonators are lolworthy, If someone gets scammed they are to stupid to deserve what they lost imo, I've never known anyone that got scammed by a fake GM.....

And damn Descent, what a stupid person 0.o
:3

Descent

Quote from: Orange on Feb 22, 2009, 12:52 PM
GM impersonators are lolworthy, If someone gets scammed they are to stupid to deserve what they lost imo, I've never known anyone that got scammed by a fake GM.....

Sometimes, the threat of a ban is enough to scare the scammee, leading them to use poor judgement.

Of course, there are logs to prove what items went to what user, what IPs have accessed the account, et cetera. An Admin has a bevy of tools at their disposal to find scammers if they look hard enough.

Littlechan

talk about newbie o_O

Quote from: Descent on Feb 22, 2009, 03:06 PM

Sometimes, the threat of a ban is enough to scare the scammee, leading them to use poor judgment.

umm...ban IP=change IP? =D

ban ID...err...make new ID! =D

*Thank You very much for Azurene*

The world is getting more and more broken everyday...

The truth about me
I am 17 ;D
[close]

Descent

Quote from: Littlechan on Feb 22, 2009, 09:03 PM

talk about newbie o_O

Quote from: Descent on Feb 22, 2009, 03:06 PM

Sometimes, the threat of a ban is enough to scare the scammee, leading them to use poor judgment.

umm...ban IP=change IP? =D

ban ID...err...make new ID! =D

Nope, you misread it. The scammer(posing as a GM) can usually threaten to ban a player that they're trying to scam in order to get them to comply. It's sad, but it works, I've seen it happen on quite a few servers I've played on, where the player felt that they had no choice but to give them their account.