Ban Evasion

Started by Mewi, Apr 09, 2008, 10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mewi

There seems to be an argument between me and a couple of the staff members on how ban Evasion should be treated.  I have fully written the rules of this server and I am currently the majority holder for administering punishment ( I was hired to make sure players follow the rules )

Anyway  This is my Rule regarding Evasion.

QuoteRule 14. Punishment Evasion

If you have an account banned due to rule violation then all other accounts owned of the same category whether they are tagged as banned or not, are considered off limits until the original ban sentence has completed. This is including but not limited too the muting and jailing of characters as well as iRC equivalents.

Logging on other accounts to dodge these sentences will be considered evasion and as such be subject to increased sentence periods with an addition to all other account(s) involved in the evasion. Setting up chats in order to speak publicly while muted can also be considered evasion.

The argument is, they think a player banned should be allowed to hop on other accounts whenever an account they possess was banned due to rule violations, such as harassment, public vulgarity etc.

My argument against this is of course, what kind of thing do they learn if they can just continue playing anyway?  "OH My account got banned, I'll just work on my alchemist till the punishment is over"  Or what is to stop them from making novice accounts for the soul purpose to break the rules.  What kind of punishment would it be? "oh no I lost my novice account OH NOEZ"  If the rules are set that I can only ban the account that person breaks the rules on?

I am banning someone because they broke the rules for a set period of time.  which means they are not allowed on the server until that time is completed.  Any additional bans would be for accessing the server on an untagged account to dodge the ban.  The purpose of banning someone is to prevent them from accessing the server to accept the punishment they were given based off from the violations they themselves did.

They say this method is "extreme" but I find it common sense...  Am I crazy or something? lol XD

MrrgleCaek

I completly agree with your rule, basically what your other staff members is doing is allowing the loophole of players able to use another account to log on after their banned one. Besides, everyone knows they'll keep going if they get the opportunity, or have the immature mindset of going "hay guize, I'm sticking it to da man durhur!". "Extreme"? Hardly! Crazy? I doubt moreso than me =v.
Give your other staff members a kick in the donkey for me for allowing such a poor idea to be allowed ;).

Lol, I love this filter thing xD, donkey...good stuff.

Itakou

The real question isn't about what you should do, but how you would enforce it.

Itakou
People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

Pandora

I agree with you, but speaking from past experience it is a pain to control. When making a ban, I'll usually ban the other accounts of the person for the duration of the ban. Sure they can create new accounts and new characters, but they are prevented access to their main character and gears, which is at least decent punishment for most players. You can also try an IP ban, but in this day and age it is not very hard to bypass.
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

[color=darkblue]Click here to find out more about heRO![/color]

Anti-Static Foam Cleaner

What is the point of banning someone if he/she can come back?

That's like shooting someone in the head and the he/she comes back alive.

Lame.

Pandora

Well I think we were talking temporary bans here? If you mean permanent ban, then yeah any new accounts that they make should receive the ban stick as well.
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

some ppl totally ban the ip and any account that the ip has ever been on.....

and imo if u get caught botting thats wat should happen to u >=3 DEATH TO BOTTERS

Pandora

Indeed!

Sadly, ip ban is very easy to bypass. So it kinda comes down to how much time you wanna spend on these low lifes who cause trouble/bot, and how much time it will leave to be spent on players who deserve it. Personally, after I do the ban of all accounts, I usually don't recheck much to see if the person is back unless I have reasons to check, else I'd be spending all my time checking for these people who got banned in the past.

Mewi

Quote from: Pandora on Apr 11, 2008, 08:21 AM
Indeed!

Sadly, ip ban is very easy to bypass. So it kinda comes down to how much time you wanna spend on these low lifes who cause trouble/bot, and how much time it will leave to be spent on players who deserve it. Personally, after I do the ban of all accounts, I usually don't recheck much to see if the person is back unless I have reasons to check, else I'd be spending all my time checking for these people who got banned in the past.

Yeah normally I wouldn't unless it was a person advertising another server,  I'd keep a close eye on that person for awhile.  Serial botters I also like to keep an eye on.  As for vulgar players,  sometimes I will ignore the 'ban evasion' unless they have been previously warned/muted/jailed/banned in the past.  But GMing is like an art most of the time,  every case is different, cannot treat every case the same lol but you try too for the sake of fairity.

Anti-Static Foam Cleaner

Can't you ban by MAC address?

Mewi

Quote from: Anti-Static Foam Cleaner on Apr 11, 2008, 05:34 PM
Can't you ban by MAC address?

Not that I know of,  however you could if the MAC address was on a local network and you were the admin of that local network XD.

well at least the total deletion of their chars may deter them cause they'll have to start all over again

Mewi

Quote from: JJJ on Apr 11, 2008, 06:48 PM
well at least the total deletion of their chars may deter them cause they'll have to start all over again

That could have unforeseen consequences, such as people who lent out items to these players XD

ya i guess ur right >.<

but imo its still the best way!

Mewi

Quote from: JJJ on Apr 11, 2008, 09:09 PM
ya i guess ur right >.<

but imo its still the best way!

I'll take it into consideration when i'm feeling evil towards people who just don't get the hint after the 60th warn and the 10th ban lol.

Ayu

Quote from: Mewi on Apr 11, 2008, 07:26 PM

That could have unforeseen consequences, such as people who lent out items to these players XD

Isn't it their problem if they lent out items to a "friend" and that "friend" turns out to be breaking the rules? It's their responsibility to consider all possibilities when they lend out anything, especially password. On heRO, a mvp card is lost that way because it was lent to someone who turns out to violate major server rules, and we GM team of heRO never considered why we "must" give the mvp card back to the 'owner' (then again who's the 'owner'... that card is shared by like 6 accounts.)

Players need to play their part as well to look after their own items/accounts especially when it comes to sharing in my opinion.

>.< and this is where things get complicated ....

u could always try something like:

"okay your friend got banned and he has a bunch of ur junk, so you can take five items of yours from his account the rest get to be banned.... bla bla bla hope u learned a lesson bout trusting ppl" rofl...

i wonder if that would even work =X

Mewi

Quote from: Ayu on Apr 13, 2008, 09:41 PM
Quote from: Mewi on Apr 11, 2008, 07:26 PM

Isn't it their problem if they lent out items to a "friend" and that "friend" turns out to be breaking the rules? It's their responsibility to consider all possibilities when they lend out anything, especially password. On heRO, a mvp card is lost that way because it was lent to someone who turns out to violate major server rules, and we GM team of heRO never considered why we "must" give the mvp card back to the 'owner' (then again who's the 'owner'... that card is shared by like 6 accounts.)

Players need to play their part as well to look after their own items/accounts especially when it comes to sharing in my opinion.

I will only restore items from which the items originated,  it's not like you don't blindly give them items back to the person >.>"

Dx thats wat i menttttttt >.<

Anti-Static Foam Cleaner

Deleting a character wouldn't work. If he played on the server, he will have buddies there and how long it will take him to get to 99? A week at most at 3x.

Mewi

Quote from: JJJ on Apr 14, 2008, 01:58 AM
Dx thats wat i menttttttt >.<

Sureeee it was /gg lol

Quote from: Anti-Static Foam Cleaner on Apr 14, 2008, 02:16 AM
Deleting a character wouldn't work. If he played on the server, he will have buddies there and how long it will take him to get to 99? A week at most at 3x.

Dx thats why u ip ban them >.<

Mewi

Quote from: JJJ on Apr 14, 2008, 07:12 PM
Quote from: Anti-Static Foam Cleaner on Apr 14, 2008, 02:16 AM

Dx thats why u ip ban them >.<
'

*IP Bans JJJJ* DUN DUN DUN

Tears of Blood

I have a solution!

1.) IP Ban, though as Pandora said, that's not hard to bypass. Then again, not every RO player is savvy enough to get around this.

2.) Make a new rule stating "Any players logging on to any secondary or tertiary accounts owned by said player will have that account deleted."

Harsh, I realize this, but if you clearly state this in your rules, they'll take it pretty seriously, and will be hesitant to log onto those accounts, making the problem almost non-existant.

Though, that doesn't mean that deleting said account will be a walk in the park, especially if you have a large SQL database.

Mewi

Quote from: JJJ on Apr 21, 2008, 06:49 PM
lol wat i do? Dx

I dunno,  you stole my notebook computer!

Quote from: Tears of Blood on Apr 22, 2008, 08:33 PM
I have a solution!

1.) IP Ban, though as Pandora said, that's not hard to bypass. Then again, not every RO player is savvy enough to get around this.

2.) Make a new rule stating "Any players logging on to any secondary or tertiary accounts owned by said player will have that account deleted."

Harsh, I realize this, but if you clearly state this in your rules, they'll take it pretty seriously, and will be hesitant to log onto those accounts, making the problem almost non-existant.

Though, that doesn't mean that deleting said account will be a walk in the park, especially if you have a large SQL database.

#2 is not the worst idea.  I'll take it into consideration if I ever design my own server x3

Mamimi

If you ban someone [say, for a week] and they make a new account, I'd just perma IP-ban them and wipe the accounts. :x But then there's always the people who change their IPs, which I fail at preventing. :<

Tavern

I agree with above.

IP ban and delete accounts.

Mamimi

Homie don't play, yo. :>

watch the spam please,

and what would you do about a proxy server player?
lol kinda hard to ip ban em

Mamimi

Sorry, and that's the stuff I leave up to my admin, I fail at stuff like that.

freakyred

maybe just ban their IP until the sentence(I dunno if the spelling is right) is finished

Quote from: freakyred on Aug 17, 2008, 12:48 AM
maybe just ban their IP until the sentence(I dunno if the spelling is right) is finished
ya but most of the time ppl resort to ip bans is because you want to perma ban them and their trying to get around that....

Zone

It's okay if you ban their accounts and IP.
They have to start over, obviously if they evade a ban and change ip addresses, you are doing something right and they want to play your server. Unless they just feel like being an donkey and harassing you. Then you just setup a little interference with their connection.

freakyred

most likely they will harass the GM that banned them. But if I were to change IPs to play again I won't tell any1 that it's me

Sin_Sakura

You just don't get it. People spend over loads of money on their accounts, and when you banned them for trivling reasons, all there money and hard work on that account go away for ever, why would you banned a username that is helping profit your account? Admins are pretty full of them selves now and days. Sometimes you banned meez users forever after one warning. Why do you do that? I had an account that I spent over $300 on and then I got banned over one warning, which I find that un-fair and disrespectful. It's also not that hard to make another account on an different computer with a different IP address. So why banned them? I understand you'd banned people for Sexual behavior and such, but when it comes to fighting with one and another meez why would you put your two sense in and join in and settle the "Fight" It's none of you're business to do that, even though it's you're job, that is why the ignore button was made for, private profile, and friends only profile, so why do you even banned people for that stupid simple reason? Also the Banned Evasion is really stupid to, my friend got banned just because she tryed to copy my last username, why would you do that for? Nonw and days you even banned people who are really profiting your website, keep that up and there will never be a meez.com ever again. Just stating facts and opinions.

axleokami

They have the right to be as cocky as they feel. If you didnt relize, they kinda OWN THE SERVER. basically if you dont follow the rules your at the mercy of the admins/gms. No if's ands or buts about it. You break the rules and you pay the consequences. And if you also didnt relize you brought up a thread from almost 2 full years ago.

freakyred

Thanks for reviving a topic almost 2 years ago ;)

DarkDevine

Quote from: Sin_Sakura on Jul 31, 2010, 08:45 PM
You just don't get it. People spend over loads of money on their accounts, and when you banned them for trivling reasons, all there money and hard work on that account go away for ever, why would you banned a username that is helping profit your account? Admins are pretty full of them selves now and days. Sometimes you banned meez users forever after one warning. Why do you do that? I had an account that I spent over $300 on and then I got banned over one warning, which I find that un-fair and disrespectful. It's also not that hard to make another account on an different computer with a different IP address. So why banned them? I understand you'd banned people for Sexual behavior and such, but when it comes to fighting with one and another meez why would you put your two sense in and join in and settle the "Fight" It's none of you're business to do that, even though it's you're job, that is why the ignore button was made for, private profile, and friends only profile, so why do you even banned people for that stupid simple reason? Also the Banned Evasion is really stupid to, my friend got banned just because she tryed to copy my last username, why would you do that for? Nonw and days you even banned people who are really profiting your website, keep that up and there will never be a meez.com ever again. Just stating facts and opinions.
Donating doesn't make you immune to rules, it's sad that you even believed that.
TotalRO - 10x/10x